Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JBG89
Do all international flights require an SWU for an upgrade? New EXP Here
or miles award. Some rare times there might be op-ups.

Also, AA's international definition is slightly different. For example, DFW - MEX does not need SWU, despite an international flight and not subject to the no access to FL/AC rule.

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 14, 2018 at 9:02 am Reason: Added more info.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
or miles award. Some rare times there might be op-ups.

Also, AA's international definition is slightly different. For example, DFW - MEX does not need SWU, despite an international flight and not subject to the no access to FL/AC rule.
To clarify, SWU or miles + copay. The possibility of an op-up is rare enough to be considered zero.

Also as andersonCooper says, international is South America, Europe, Asia. Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are considered domestic.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Antarius
To clarify, SWU or miles + copay. The possibility of an op-up is rare enough to be considered zero.

Also as andersonCooper says, international is South America, Europe, Asia. Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are considered domestic.

Thanks!!

Can i do same day flight changes to Mex as well? I was considering one next week however the phone rep said it was out of scope
Old May 14, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!!

Can i do same day flight changes to Mex as well? I was considering one next week however the phone rep said it was out of scope
Unfortunately no. It is limited to Canada, the Caribbean and JFK-LHR only. Would be nice if they expanded it.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old May 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Unfortunately no. It is limited to Canada, the Caribbean and JFK-LHR only. Would be nice if they expanded it.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Huh. On a HND/LAX flight last month I had the option to SDFC to NRT/LAX, but Tokyo isn't listed on that page.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potus18
Huh. On a HND/LAX flight last month I had the option to SDFC to NRT/LAX, but Tokyo isn't listed on that page.
I'm even more confused given that SDFC typically does not allow routing or co-terminal changes.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Do all international flights require an SWU for an upgrade? New EXP Here
deleted by me
Old May 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm going for Plat Pro next year. FC is kind of a big deal to me (please no "If you need to fly F, buy F).

I could pad my EQD by getting the Barclay's biz card. I'm a MSer so I can put as much on the card as I like, but there's a cost, since the AA miles I get for spending aren't worth as much to me as the points I would get other ways.

Without getting into all the ancillary issues - does anyone have a guess how much difference an extra $3K EQD would make? The routes I fly are mostly PHL-LAS and PHL-PDX.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm going for Plat Pro next year. FC is kind of a big deal to me (please no "If you need to fly F, buy F).

I could pad my EQD by getting the Barclay's biz card. I'm a MSer so I can put as much on the card as I like, but there's a cost, since the AA miles I get for spending aren't worth as much to me as the points I would get other ways.

Without getting into all the ancillary issues - does anyone have a guess how much difference an extra $3K EQD would make? The routes I fly are mostly PHL-LAS and PHL-PDX.
Out of PHL, I would say a lot. I have both the Silver and Citi Executive card so I get 6K EQM without stepping on a plane. Yeah, the Exc card has $450 fee, but we fly enough to use the lounge. Now, have you thought about just doing Co-pay + miles ?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:52 pm

I don't think co-pay plus miles is really worth it to me, at least not for domestic.

I have the Amex Plat card so I don't want the Citi Exec, especially now that there's a Centurion Lounge at PHL. (It was better back when the card allowed you into the USAirways Club, but oh well.)

I have the silver aviator, but I'll hit the $50K spend and get 6K EQD. It's just a question of whether to get the biz card and make it 9K. I have a legit business. Maybe I'll do it because the worst that can happen is I get the signup bonus for the $95 annual fee.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I don't think co-pay plus miles is really worth it to me, at least not for domestic.

I have the Amex Plat card so I don't want the Citi Exec, especially now that there's a Centurion Lounge at PHL. (It was better back when the card allowed you into the USAirways Club, but oh well.)

I have the silver aviator, but I'll hit the $50K spend and get 6K EQD. It's just a question of whether to get the biz card and make it 9K. I have a legit business. Maybe I'll do it because the worst that can happen is I get the signup bonus for the $95 annual fee.
6K is the max you can earn from a CC, so getting the Biz card won't help you with that. We have flights to LGA, I used expert flyer and found RT flights that had upgrade space, total out of pocket was $490 PP and 15K miles each for an upgrade to FC. Pretty good deal.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:51 pm

Ah, you're right about the 6K. I forgot that.

The price difference between Y and F on the routes I fly isn't that great. Vegas is about 625 vs. 240, and Portland is 565 vs. 180-250.

LAX is very different, $1000 vs. 220.

I don't care that much on redeyes. There's more legroom in exit rows than F, and I'm not that enamored of the snack basket!
Old May 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Quick question, I'm Executive Plat. I'm taking a flight today from PHX-LAX-HKG. This ticket was purchased on CX so the leg from PHX-LAX is a CX codeshare operated by AA and the LAX-HKG is CX . I noticed that I am not on the upgrade list for the PHX-LAX flight. It's not a big deal because its such a short flight but is this typical behavior because I purchased this with CX?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
Quick question, I'm Executive Plat. I'm taking a flight today from PHX-LAX-HKG. This ticket was purchased on CX so the leg from PHX-LAX is a CX codeshare operated by AA and the LAX-HKG is CX . I noticed that I am not on the upgrade list for the PHX-LAX flight. It's not a big deal because its such a short flight but is this typical behavior because I purchased this with CX?
You're spot on. Very rarely (1-2 times) I've been able to convince an agent in the AC or FL on routes back from Asia through LAX usually on JL stock to somehow get me into first (usually by pushing through a flight change to an earlier flight) but they're not supposed to do this. Usually I don't care because I'll still get MCE, it's a an hour in the air type of flight, and I'll have already had plenty to drink in QF F or the FL (and never take anything from the snack basket). I also get the comp drink in Y if they do the full drink service. For you to get upgraded using a comp or 500 mile upgrade you have to be on a flight both operated AND marketed by AA

Be careful when buying CX tickets though - most economy fares do not earn miles. You can credit them after the fact to another OW program though.
tasty_chicken likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
You're spot on. Very rarely (1-2 times) I've been able to convince an agent in the AC or FL on routes back from Asia through LAX usually on JL stock to somehow get me into first (usually by pushing through a flight change to an earlier flight) but they're not supposed to do this. Usually I don't care because I'll still get MCE, it's a an hour in the air type of flight, and I'll have already had plenty to drink in QF F or the FL (and never take anything from the snack basket). I also get the comp drink in Y if they do the full drink service. For you to get upgraded using a comp or 500 mile upgrade you have to be on a flight both operated AND marketed by AA

Be careful when buying CX tickets though - most economy fares do not earn miles. You can credit them after the fact to another OW program though.
Thanks for confirming what I was suspecting.

Fully aware of the fare codes earning 0 miles. I mostly book PE but for these short flights they are usually just in economy (H) fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.