Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wlbellows
I am pretty new to trying to get an upgrade .. but here is my situation.

I am on an AA flight coming back from LHR-DFW later this month with Main Cabin Extra (no premium eco on the flight) and on a wait list for an upgrade (miles with copay). I was booked on this flight last night.

I checked Expert Flyer and I see that the earlier flight that leaves at 9 AM has 3 C spaces available. Can I call them and ask to be moved to the earlier flight and get the immediate confirmed upgrade? Will they charge a change fee to do this?
Yes, it will be a $200 change fee plus the difference in fare, unless you are on a fully-flexible ticket.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I am pretty new to trying to get an upgrade .. but here is my situation.

I am on an AA flight coming back from LHR-DFW later this month with Main Cabin Extra (no premium eco on the flight) and on a wait list for an upgrade (miles with copay). I was booked on this flight last night.

I checked Expert Flyer and I see that the earlier flight that leaves at 9 AM has 3 C spaces available. Can I call them and ask to be moved to the earlier flight and get the immediate confirmed upgrade? Will they charge a change fee to do this?
I'll address the various points of your question below:

1) So far as I know there are 3 LHR-DFW NS, all flown on the 77W. That aircraft already HAS premium economy but it's not being as such yet (it's still "MCE"). They are rows 16-19 and you'll notice the 2-4-2 arrangement instead of the 3-4-3. I'd go grab those now, if available

2) Yes, you can change your flight and ask for the upgrade. It should clear right then provided there is still C space available and you have SWUs of course

3) The change WILL have the cost. It will be the difference in fare and the change fee.(up to $750 depending on fare purchased). Probably not worth it.

4) If you are an EXP, you can always do a same-day confirmed change into business, provided there is C space and change availability onto the flight you want to take

Hope that helps!
Old May 1, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jav5499
I'll address the various points of your question below:

1) So far as I know there are 3 LHR-DFW NS, all flown on the 77W. That aircraft already HAS premium economy but it's not being as such yet (it's still "MCE"). They are rows 16-19 and you'll notice the 2-4-2 arrangement instead of the 3-4-3. I'd go grab those now, if available

2) Yes, you can change your flight and ask for the upgrade. It should clear right then provided there is still C space available and you have SWUs of course

3) The change WILL have the cost. It will be the difference in fare and the change fee.(up to $750 depending on fare purchased). Probably not worth it.

4) If you are an EXP, you can always do a same-day confirmed change into business, provided there is C space and change availability onto the flight you want to take

Hope that helps!
Thanks. I already have the MCE seat, but on the phone now. $275 change fee + approx $90-100 in departure tax from Heathrow. They are refunding the MCE from the previous flight.

They are letting me go ahead and get the confirmed upgrade if I move to the earlier flight. I have no status with AA, so I figure my upgrade chance is pretty slim to none if I stayed where I was I would imagine? Let me know if thoughts are different.

This is for business travel though. Only thing I really have to pay out of my pocket is the $275 change fee (which $75 is getting eaten by my Chase Sapphire Reserve), my company is paying the $350 co-pay for my upgrade & and the departure taxes are expensed since I'm going straight 100% econ on my flights all the way to DFW-HEL with no way to change it given the way our travel agent booked my flights.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Thanks. I already have the MCE seat, but on the phone now. $275 change fee + they are refunding the MCE from the previous flight.

They are letting me go ahead and get the confirmed upgrade if I move to the earlier flight. I have no status with AA, so I figure my upgrade chance is pretty slim to none if I stayed where I was I would imagine? Let me know if thoughts are different.

This is for business travel though. Only thing I really have to pay out of my pocket is the $275 change fee (which $75 is getting eaten by my Chase Sapphire Reserve), my company is paying the $350 co-pay for my upgrade & OK with keeping the $150 from the MCE expensed since I'm going straight 100% econ on my flights all the way to DFW-HEL.
If you just booked this last night, as stated in your original note, why not just refund the original ticket (no charge within 24 hrs) and rebook as desired?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by daslax

If you just booked this last night, as stated in your original note, why not just refund the original ticket (no charge within 24 hrs) and rebook as desired?
I asked them for that. They said I am outside of the 24 hour window.... basically outside of it by 1 hour but supervisor is unwilling to move. Guess that is why they refunded my MCE instead?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks. I already have the MCE seat, but on the phone now. $275 change fee + approx $90-100 in departure tax from Heathrow. They are refunding the MCE from the previous flight.

This is for business travel though. Only thing I really have to pay out of my pocket is the $275 change fee (which $75 is getting eaten by my Chase Sapphire Reserve), my company is paying the $350 co-pay for my upgrade & and the departure taxes are expensed since I'm going straight 100% econ on my flights all the way to DFW-HEL with no way to change it given the way our travel agent booked my flights.
This is obviously up to you, but if your net cost is $200, then I'd go ahead and make the change. The 77W business class is actually nice and LHR-DFW is a long enough flight to enjoy it.

As you guessed, without status, your chances of clearing the wait list on LHR-DFW are slim to none.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Hi All, I waitlisted for a J to F miles+copay HKG-LAX in July. Do things like that ever clear or am I wasting my time?

I usually fly CX, so have never had the chance to try this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Hi All, I waitlisted for a J to F miles+copay HKG-LAX in July. Do things like that ever clear or am I wasting my time?

I usually fly CX, so have never had the chance to try this.
J --> F is generally not hard to clear, and this is not a bad route to clear. But YMMV.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
I will have to start doing AMS - IAH monthly. Fortunately, the client is flexible on the days I can fly out. My first flight is next Wednesday, May 09th. I assume middle of the week is better, but normally I'm taking the FRA - SFO and know that route like the back of my hand. My question is, what are people's experiences with AMS - IAH, i.e. for upgrade chances on specific days?
Old May 4, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Berlin_traveler
I will have to start doing AMS - IAH monthly. Fortunately, the client is flexible on the days I can fly out. My first flight is next Wednesday, May 09th. I assume middle of the week is better, but normally I'm taking the FRA - SFO and know that route like the back of my hand. My question is, what are people's experiences with AMS - IAH, i.e. for upgrade chances on specific days?
If you're talking about a nonstop, I think you might need to go over to the United forum...Unless you're talking about IAH-DFW-AMS, or IAH-PHL-AMS.

Availability varies, of course, and you likely won't clear an upgrade until closer to the date of departure. Next Wednesday, 9 May, DFW-AMS is showing C1, PHL-AMS C0. Same with the Wednesday after, so there is confirmable space NOW for two Wednesdays out of DFW. You're right that mid-week is your best bet.
Berlin_traveler likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Well this is a long story.

Booked an open jaw TATL, A - B and C - D; A - B is in N (discounted Y) while C - D is in W (full fare premium econ). No EF used this time.
Called EXP, A - B waitlisted for SWU, but C - D, I specifically asked for miles and copay upgrade (which for W, has no copay requirement; Returning city "C" is not in the UK so no tax implications here)

1st EXP Agent: "Sir you need $350 copay." Told him about W copay rules, he went back and said my miles upgrade has been requested;
2nd EXP Agent: "Sir you need $350 copay." Told her about W copay rules, she went back and said my miles upgrade has been requested;

Today, T - 17 days, online booking showed "your trip details can't be displayed". I suspected one of the upgrade might be cleared, so I called EXP desk and played dumb ("what's going on here?")

3rd EXP Agent: "Sir your SWU has been cleared on the inbound leg". Me: "...." Going through the same W copay rules, this EXP agent obviously knew what I was talking about and spent about 15 mins to re-ticket. Gave her an above and beyond ticket at the end of the call.

Lessons:
1. EXP agents vary - especially with new concept like PEY;
2. Never take EXP agents too seriously...
3. T - 17 days, I guess I can't complain huh?

Next step:
AA posts the wrong EQM for the PEY leg, I call back for a 4th EXP Agent and spend another 30 minutes figuring EQM out.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Well this is a long story.

Next step:
AA posts the wrong EQM for the PEY leg, I call back for a 4th EXP Agent and spend another 30 minutes figuring EQM out.
EXP agents cannot help you with this. You need the AAdvantage CS line -- they'll resolve it over the phone. See AA: wrong EQM after upgrade from Premium Economy
Old May 11, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by potus18
EXP agents cannot help you with this. You need the AAdvantage CS line -- they'll resolve it over the phone. See AA: wrong EQM after upgrade from Premium Economy
lol thanks for the heads up. That post was why I thought AA would mess up with EQM.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:08 am

The last 2 weeks have been a game of 2 halves. The first week, cleared 3 for 3 on CRJ9’s as GLD. Including a flight I had to cancel. Cleared at t-0.5, t-20 and t-8.

Second week, not a hope. 2 regionals on CRJ9’s, and I was 7th and 10th on the list.

Obviously being gold i’m only on for sub 500 mike upgrades, but i’d say my success is around the 40% mark overall since making gold in March. Across 10-12 flights. The upgrade rate is a metric I don’t track though, so nights start doing that.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: N/A
Do all international flights require an SWU for an upgrade? New EXP Here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.