Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Flying CLT-SMF on Monday evening. Still several seats open. Here's to hoping?

If not, I have 10F so I should be good either way.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Superguy
Flying CLT-SMF on Monday evening. Still several seats open. Here's to hoping?

If not, I have 10F so I should be good either way.
According to Expert Flyer, there are 6 open seats in F but C=0. In looking at the coach/MCE seatmap, there are some middles open, most aisle/window occupied. It is tough to say if any EXP or PRO's have already been upgraded (or PLAT).

I've sat in 10F on many flights and would argue that it might actually be better than sitting in F. Just grab something to eat at CLT and be prepared to settle in; that seems to be a sure way to get upgraded.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Flew three segments lately

Here are the upgrade stats:

Wednesday afternoon DFW-MSP. 1 out of 12 upgrades cleared. I was third as a relatively low EQD plat pro.
Friday morning MSP-ORD 1 out of 36 upgrades cleared. (and boy was the woman who got it a total mess -- held up loading for 5 minutes punching in a fat roller bag that just barely fit in overhead space after much hassle, was actually talking on the phone during take-off, was on the computer during landing, got more than 4 drinks during the ~1 hour flight). Friday afternoon ORD-DFW. 1 out of 34 upgrades cleared.

I was in paid J the last two flights so I don't know where I would have standed. But needless to say, the upgrade benefit for anything but maybe concierge key is more myth than fact.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
But needless to say, the upgrade benefit for anything but maybe concierge key is more myth than fact.
Can we stop making blanket statements like this? That statement is far from uniformly true. I get plenty of upgrades as an EXP - so do others. At same time other people don't have a good success rate with upgrades.

What is true is that upgrade experience is highly variable based on routes, days, and time of day.
IAHtraveler and Finsup72 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Flew three segments lately

Here are the upgrade stats:

Wednesday afternoon DFW-MSP. 1 out of 12 upgrades cleared. I was third as a relatively low EQD plat pro.
Friday morning MSP-ORD 1 out of 36 upgrades cleared. (and boy was the woman who got it a total mess -- held up loading for 5 minutes punching in a fat roller bag that just barely fit in overhead space after much hassle, was actually talking on the phone during take-off, was on the computer during landing, got more than 4 drinks during the ~1 hour flight). Friday afternoon ORD-DFW. 1 out of 34 upgrades cleared.

I was in paid J the last two flights so I don't know where I would have standed. But needless to say, the upgrade benefit for anything but maybe concierge key is more myth than fact.
This conclusion is not supported by the stories that preceded it. If a low EQD PPro is 3rd on the list that suggests to me that CK and EXP have already been upgraded. Even if they hadn't it suggests that there weren't any on the flight then, which means conclusions about benefits for EXPs cannot be drawn. Certainly my experience is that (as a modest EQD EXP) I either clear well in advance (often at the 100 hours) or not at all (and these are usually well full in F before the 100 hours is even approaching). Yes, I would like an upgrade, but if the seats can be sold and can keep the airline afloat, then thats a good thing.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I am a $20K EQD ExecPlat, and my flights are running around 60% success for e500 eligible upgrades.
I fly Thursdays and Sundays. My rare midweek flights are more like 80%
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Wanted to reach out to the group to see the success rate of a SWU clearing from DFW-Hawaii (not sure if we will be going to Oahu or Maui). I’m going to be taking my wife in March-April timeframe. My plan is to use miles to have her in first and I was going to use a voucher I have to buy economy and use a SWU. Day of the week doesn’t matter to us I was just hoping the forum would have an idea of a SWU success rate.

Im an EXP with approximately $23k in annual spend.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jpb5101
Day of the week doesn’t matter to us I was just hoping the forum would have an idea of a SWU success rate.

Im an EXP with approximately $23k in annual spend.
High chance of clearing, IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Originally Posted by econometrics
High chance of clearing, IMO.
Would you treat this as any other domestic route? Avoid Monday / Thursday like a normal business route?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jpb5101

Would you treat this as any other domestic route? Avoid Monday / Thursday like a normal business route?
I would avoid Friday / Saturday since this is a leisure route. And I would take the later DFW-HNL, as most leisure trips will hit the first connection for the cheaper pricing.

Also avoid flying close to spring break.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: N/A
Regarding SFO-NYC-SFO on Thu. Would it be safer to assume the latest or last flights out of each evening have higher upgrade priority?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by econometrics

I just flew a DFW-FAR R/T on an E175. Outbound and return cleared at T24. When I cleared with my son, there were only 3 other F pax until T4 on both legs.

All that to say that sometimes AA just holds space before clearing thru the requests. Even on a lowly DFW-FAR route.

So expect to go to gate clearing on your flight to LAX, IMO.
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Yes. The trade-off for no longer earning 500-mile upgrades is that you get auto-requested complimentary upgrades on all domestic flights, and higher priority for those upgrades. It's a good trade-off.
Thanks. This would not apply to my companion however correct?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by bse118
What is true is that upgrade experience is highly variable based on routes, days, and time of day.
Okay sure, I will be less blanketed. Upgrades on routes between midsized/major US airports on 73Xs and 319-321s are more myth than fact. If the flight is during the workweek and during the daylight, maybe a CK or high EQD ExPlat has a shot at the maybe 1 open seat. Weekends or weekdays late at night -- upgrades are doable if you are a ExPlat. If you fly those local regional flights on CRJ-700/900 or ERJ-175 with an F cabin (which are outsized compared to the main cabin), I am sure upgrades on those short hops are no problem for a broad swath of elites.

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Yes, I would like an upgrade, but if the seats can be sold and can keep the airline afloat, then thats a good thing.
I agree, and I need AA to be strong because if they cut back, my local service will likely cease, and the convenience of that service means a lot to me. But, on my last trip, I couldn't even pay cash for a first class DFW-MSP seat for Wednesday when I was booking two days before the flight (though, one seat opened up the morning of which allowed the one upgrade to clear as I indicate above where I was 3rd of 12). I was hoping to buy F for the ability to better get work done (and last minute F isn't much more than last minute Y anyways). Nor could I find a first class ticket that went DFW-ORD-MSP for that day (because of the DFW-ORD segment). If I left Tuesday, there was only 1 F seat open on any route that came up from SWO-MSP. For my Friday return, the only F availability was for a ~5:30AM flight from MSP-DFW or the mid-morning flight through chicago as well (which was the one I took).

I've only been platpro since my challenge period started in May, and since this last bout of extra unexpected travel came to pass, I will end up meeting the challenge and be Plat Pro until Jan 2020. My bet is that my upgrade % when all is said and done will come to 0-5%.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
DATA POINT: My MCI-PHL-BNA tomorrow and BNA-PHL-MCI on Wednesday morning both cleared close to T-72 (even with two segments on the dreaded A319) as a PlatPro. I've done 63 segments so far this year and been upgraded on 55 of them so about 87%.. Luckily, flying out of MCI helps a lot with that percentage. Also, I've done a lot of Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday morning travel which has also helped.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JBG89
Thanks. This would not apply to my companion however correct?
Correct. If your companion is Gold or Platinum, they will continue to earn 500-mile upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.