Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
IMHO-PHL may have lots of destinations, but my experience DFW-PHL-TATL is:

Security- F-

Ground and GA- D to A+ (a roll of the dice)

In-flight- B-A++

If it were me, I hang out at JFK/LGA for as long as I could.

YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz
AFAIK only BA,LH and QR have flights into PHL and 1 a piece. So although JFK may have the #s , PHL probably will allow much higher yields as there isnt any competition or LCCs to drive the fares down, and the flights will be seasonal
There's so little PHL-TATL O&D that those captive passengers aren't going to save yields. There's lot of competition against xxx-PHL-EU. There are lots of airports in the East and Upper Midwest with decent TATL non-stop offerings. Business travelers will favor those.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DA201
I am curious what they will do with the Eagle flights from JFK. They are used for feed, but if they cut the international flights without feed on the other end, how much feed do they really need?
I would think the cuts would mean that JFK would be focused even more on O&D, with more connections going over PHL, further reducing the need for regional feed. But of course it's not that simple; cutting JFK-ZRH doesn't magically make AA able to fill a JFK-FCO plane with O&D traffic.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's so little PHL-TATL O&D that those captive passengers aren't going to save yields. There's lot of competition against xxx-PHL-EU. There are lots of airports in the East and Upper Midwest with decent TATL non-stop offerings. Business travelers will favor those.
Someone elsewhere pointed out that the LCCS (Norwegian etc) are starting to eat into yields on the big city routes, but they don't compete in the one-stop markets, so network carriers have an advantage there; that would be consistent with a focus on the less-constrained connecting hub with much more feed (PHL). Dunno how much that plays into this. Does anyone more knowledgeable know?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
thats true except for the diehards who only want AA or OW and avoid BA due to the extra $$$. So Im out West and want to hit VCE. sure there are a bunch of ways connecting either in the US and ns to VCE (DL,UA) or any European carrier to their hub and connect onwards. But if I want to earn AA EQMs or RDMs or hope an Upgrade clears AA metal is what I need to be on. As for Biz folks I dont think VCE,BUD or PRG are Biz centers

Last edited by craz; Aug 16, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For those of you that complained the flagship lounge at JFK was too crowded.. i guess this is one potential solution.

Curious about the DEN at JFK. Not sure if it's for international connections or just to sit on slots. It's in the LGA perimeter.

Overall, the PHL adds are great for PHL & AA. AA needs a connecting transatlantic hub to compete against UA at EWR. Less great for NYC based flyers, but all the smaller northeast cities to Europe, it's a great location and avoids the backtracking of ORD/DFW.

In terms of international connections - PHL along with CLT and DFW are some of the better options. JFK - very problematic if you need to change to LGA and connect there. ORD - arrivals at T5 and need to take a train to the terminal. LAX has improved with the TBIT connector - but lacks a pre-check checkpoint.
daftboy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I don't see AA 'cutting back' at LGA/JFK. They may continue to reconfigure what routes they fly, as they have done a couple of times at LGA since the merger, but the slots are so valuable, and the market so important, I see, at most, more moves of slots from City A to City B to City C to find the best profitably.

Originally Posted by ericcheung
Curious about the DEN at JFK. Not sure if it's for international connections or just to sit on slots. It's in the LGA perimeter.
Forgive the nitpick, but DEN is technically outside the 1500-mile perimeter, it is just an exception to the perimeter rule (the other exception being Saturday flights).

I would be quite surprised if DEN is not times for TATL connections.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
AFAIK only BA,LH and QR have flights into PHL and 1 a piece. So although JFK may have the #s , PHL probably will allow much higher yields as there isnt any competition or LCCs to drive the fares down, and the flights will be seasonal
Has DL announced that they're cutting PHL-CDG? I still see it on Google flights.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Has DL announced that they're cutting PHL-CDG? I still see it on Google flights.
I'm sure DL's PHL-CDG will remain, and probably even do a bit better once it no longer has to compete with DL's placeholder (until they get the slot permanently) abysmally performing PHL-LHR.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
But AA doesnt fly JFK-PRG,BUD or VCE nor do I recall them ever doing so.
They did fly JFK-BUD for a short time just before Malev went under.

http://visitbudapest.travel/articles...t-to-budapest/
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by fatlasercat

Yep, our flights got canceled, but we made lemonade
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fatlasercat

who says you cant learn new things everyday, had no idea that AA actually flew to BUD. But during that time period a number of European carriers pulled all their long haul flights, Czech Air, Olympic are 2 off the top of my head. Also Sabena but Brussels Air has come back with a few

Nor that DL did PHL-CDG, I think they have 1 or 2 Intl flights as well out of EWR
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:56 pm

who says you cant learn new things everyday, had no idea that AA actually flew to BUD.
It was short-lived. Malev joined OW, AA launched BUD, Malev went under, AA dropped BUD. No idea if the flight was doing well enough to survive if Malev had survived, but without Malev it is pretty quickly pulled.

Nor that DL did PHL-CDG, I think they have 1 or 2 Intl flights as well out of EWR
DL is the antithesis of AA when it comes to launching routes from non-cornerstone US cities (to use old AA management language that is clearly still in force with new AA management language) Just looking at TATL:

PHL-LHR (this is slot squatting, something DL gained from the AA merger DOJ settlement. They get to drop PHL-LHR next year and keep the LHR slot for whatever use they want).
PHL-CDG (seasonal)
PIT-CDG (seasonal)
RDU-CDG (AA does have RDU-LHR of course, one of the few cornerstone exceptions)
EWR-CDG
EWR-AMS
BOS-CDG (arguable that BOS is a DL hub, though language on that varies)
BOS-AMS
BOS-LHR
PDX-AMS
PDX-LHR
MCO-AMS (launching 2018)

DL even runs special international sections sometimes, such as a few days of NRT-LAS during CES in LAS and, in 2018, 4 days of AUS-AMS flights for SXSW.

And that's just TATL (except NRT-LAS of course not domestic point to point routes that DL also adds. DL is has a very different route planning business approach than AA.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
I would think the cuts would mean that JFK would be focused even more on O&D, with more connections going over PHL
Yep.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:37 pm
Suspended

BA has been wanting to redo their T7 @ JFK, I think B6 wants to build a new term, so if AA does enough cutbacks Im wondering if BA would simply move into AAs T8 and let B6 have the footprint of T7 and the old T6 (which they now use as a parking area) to build a new Term maybe with CBP to handle its Intl flights they now have , as well as European flights should they enter that mkt. along with IB going into T8
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:20 am

who says you cant learn new things everyday
No one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.