Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... as I was looking at a flight from LAX to Europe recently ... options were to connect at PHL, CLT, ORD, or JFK. Apart from avoiding the A332, JFK has a Flagship lounge while PHL and CLT don't. It also has the romance factor that PHL just doesn't have. All that being said, I find the PHL international experience to be fine. In comparison, my priority bags at JFK seem to come out last. Then again, my first few hundred thousand miles were on TWA, when they were failing and giving away status like crazy, even to college students who flew a lot!

I wonder if I'm not the only one on the West Coast who still thinks that connecting at JFK is the preferred connection even if reality suggests that connecting at PHL is fine and efficient, even if it lacks the romance of JFK.
I'd agree, if originating in LAX and to a slightly lesser extent SFO. The key there being frequent A321T service (vastly superior in-flight experience than the nasty LUS A321s to PHL and CLT or a ho-hum 737 to ORD, especially up front). LAX has almost hourly service to JFK in the morning to connect to the European flights, and SFO has hung on to two morning flights (8am and 11am, IIRC) that can connect as well.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dkc192
I'd agree, if originating in LAX and to a slightly lesser extent SFO. The key there being frequent A321T service (vastly superior in-flight experience than the nasty LUS A321s to PHL and CLT or a ho-hum 737 to ORD, especially up front). LAX has almost hourly service to JFK in the morning to connect to the European flights, and SFO has hung on to two morning flights (8am and 11am, IIRC) that can connect as well.
If you have to connect TATL from the West Coast, isn't the better option just to connect at LHR after flying BA?

I just got off of LAX to JFK, AA does offer a nice product on many routes to NYC. The fact they added JFK to DEN seems to suggest they will maintain key O&D routes from NYC. Ultimately in NYC it may be better to fly multiple airlines anyway
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Apparently, JFK-LHR alone may be enough to make AA a viable competitor in NYC.

How do we know that? Delta told us. When Delta acquired its stake in VS, it explained that despite its NYC network advantage, AA still had an edge with corporate customers because of its BA JV on JFK/LHR.
ditto. Although with the impending Brexit, I am not sure the LHR ace card will be as solid as it is now.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by perseus11
Do you mean "Trenton" ??
This incessant nega-AA, nega-PHL posture is getting a bit tiring and contributes nothing, except a flawed personal agenda, to the Forum. Enough already.
Hahaha, Trenton indeed also works. Just saying, it shouldn't come as a big surprise that AA is regressing in NY. In fact, the biggest surprise is that it took this long to be honest. If AA really is going to use PHL as a TATL gateway for people arriving in the US though, the airport needs to go through a serious rehab project.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adelphos
If you have to connect TATL from the West Coast, isn't the better option just to connect at LHR after flying BA?

I just got off of LAX to JFK, AA does offer a nice product on many routes to NYC. The fact they added JFK to DEN seems to suggest they will maintain key O&D routes from NYC. Ultimately in NYC it may be better to fly multiple airlines anyway
From LAX or SFO Id go via JFK due to the special transcon planes, anywhere else Id fly straight to Europe and connect
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

For those who aren't adverse to connecting at LHR getting to Europe (and I certainly am, when given any choice,) there will soon be at least one more option to get to LHR from the U.S. on AA so that will, to a small degree, even further give folks option to "overfly JFK" (as it were) where they might connect at JFK now or have historically when flying AA.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by JonNYC
For those who aren't adverse to connecting at LHR getting to Europe (and I certainly am, when given any choice,) there will soon be at least one more option to get to LHR from the U.S. on AA so that will, to a small degree, even further give folks option to "overfly JFK" (as it were) where they might connect at JFK now or have historically when flying AA.
PHX?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Apart from avoiding the A332
Why would you want to avoid the 332, out of curiosity? Other than the limited upgrade space, I'd choose it over anything other than the 77W and *possibly* high-J 772.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by commavia
Some things are more multi-dimensional than two words. This, in my view, is one of them.

For the time being, I'll place more weight on the (more than two) words of AA's own executives on this matter, along with the "track record" of major investments AA has made, and is continuing to make, in the NYC market.
Outside of the flagship first dining, what other investments has AA made in NYC recently? Every time I fly out of terminal 8, I keep wondering why it has so few shops and restaurant options that I want to use compared to T5. And also have to go such a long way to reach Concourse C.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:11 am
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 22, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tphuang
Outside of the flagship first dining, what other investments has AA made in NYC recently? Every time I fly out of terminal 8, I keep wondering why it has so few shops and restaurant options that I want to use compared to T5. And also have to go such a long way to reach Concourse C.
Hear ya about the C gates and having to go down and back up , but you got to get over the hway where the planes drive.

Have you been to T-C @ EWR lately, I wish it was like T8 @ JFK. They removed all the moving sidewalks and put in 1 heck of a bar/.restaurant thingy in both the A and C concourses, so not only is the trek harder but you have all these folks trying to get into and out of the bar and their carry-ons protrubing at times greatly reduced the walking area. I used to be able to do the walk alot faster even if I didnt use the moving sidewwalks then what is possible most times now
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:04 am

I had an AA departure out of JFK yesterday around 5pm and time from pushback to takeoff was a few minutes over an hour. Ignoring the O/D side, it makes more sense to push connecting passengers through a less congested hub.

JFK can be for the bigger cities in Europe and if no direct service then maybe a connection at LHR or MAD (or DUB, I suppose).

PHL could take passengers from smaller US cities with one connection to the smaller Euro city of their choice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
PHX?
Or BOS? Hard to think of any candidates beyond those two.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Or BOS? Hard to think of any candidates beyond those two.
BOS is worse than JFK for connecting to LHR in a lot of ways as it is a shorter flight. If you have to connect in the US to fly to Europe, it's probably better to connect somewhere west of the Mississippi.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Oof, a double-connection to Europe, no thanks!
I guess unless you're going from small-city-USA to small-city-Europe, there should be a 1-stop option on some other carrier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.