Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fanjet
...Also, the SFO/LAX service offers an intl F product...
Actually first class on the A321T (JFK - LAX/SFO) is equivalent to international J. It would be cool if AA installed the flagship first suite (found on the 77W) on the A321T.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ty97
DL is the antithesis of AA when it comes to launching routes from non-cornerstone US cities (to use old AA management language that is clearly still in force with new AA management language) Just looking at TATL:

PHL-LHR (this is slot squatting, something DL gained from the AA merger DOJ settlement. They get to drop PHL-LHR next year and keep the LHR slot for whatever use they want).
PHL-CDG (seasonal)
PIT-CDG (seasonal)
RDU-CDG (AA does have RDU-LHR of course, one of the few cornerstone exceptions)
EWR-CDG
EWR-AMS
BOS-CDG (arguable that BOS is a DL hub, though language on that varies)
BOS-AMS
BOS-LHR
PDX-AMS
PDX-LHR
MCO-AMS (launching 2018)

DL even runs special international sections sometimes, such as a few days of NRT-LAS during CES in LAS and, in 2018, 4 days of AUS-AMS flights for SXSW.

And that's just TATL (except NRT-LAS of course not domestic point to point routes that DL also adds. DL is has a very different route planning business approach than AA.
To be fair, every one of those DL flights is to a DL hub. They list CDG and AMS as hubs and have for a long time, dating back to the 90s in the case of AMS (NW), if I remember correctly. Certainly the DL/AF/KLM joint venture is much more willing to have the US partner operate flights that aren't out of the US hubs than the AA/BA/IB joint venture (or, I think, the UA/AC/LH one, though I know far less about their routes), but PIT-CDG etc are still hub-spoke flights.

PDX-LHR is a bit different because LHR isn't a connecting hub (at least not to Europe) for DL, but it's still a flight operated to a metal neutral joint venture hub.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ty97
DL is the antithesis of AA when it comes to launching routes from non-cornerstone US cities (to use old AA management language that is clearly still in force with new AA management language) Just looking at TATL:

PHL-LHR (this is slot squatting, something DL gained from the AA merger DOJ settlement. They get to drop PHL-LHR next year and keep the LHR slot for whatever use they want).
PHL-CDG (seasonal)
PIT-CDG (seasonal)
RDU-CDG (AA does have RDU-LHR of course, one of the few cornerstone exceptions)
EWR-CDG
EWR-AMS
BOS-CDG (arguable that BOS is a DL hub, though language on that varies)
BOS-AMS
BOS-LHR
PDX-AMS
PDX-LHR
MCO-AMS (launching 2018)

DL even runs special international sections sometimes, such as a few days of NRT-LAS during CES in LAS and, in 2018, 4 days of AUS-AMS flights for SXSW.

And that's just TATL (except NRT-LAS of course not domestic point to point routes that DL also adds. DL is has a very different route planning business approach than AA.
BA handles the non-hub USA flying for the most part, just as AA handles the non-hub EU flying for the most part (save for Open Skies, but that's just one citypair).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by marnold3
Actually first class on the A321T (JFK - LAX/SFO) is equivalent to international J.
Not really.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by craz
BA has been wanting to redo their T7 @ JFK, I think B6 wants to build a new term, so if AA does enough cutbacks Im wondering if BA would simply move into AAs T8 and let B6 have the footprint of T7 and the old T6 (which they now use as a parking area) to build a new Term maybe with CBP to handle its Intl flights they now have , as well as European flights should they enter that mkt. along with IB going into T8
I thought a BA move to T8 was part of the plan - they certainly have the land area to expand the terminal. In fact the east wall of T8 has always had the look of a temporary wall.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by george 3
I thought a BA move to T8 was part of the plan - they certainly have the land area to expand the terminal. In fact the east wall of T8 has always had the look of a temporary wall.

If I have the wall you are referring to correct, at 1 time there was AA T8 and UA T9 (or vice versa). When they rebuilt T8 they ended up leaving most of the footprint of the old T8 empty and use it as a parking area , just as B6 does with the old T6 area

But if AA down sizes enough (seems they will do so) then no extension will be needed as T8 today should be able to handle everything, with BA and IB probably using the gates located out onto the field due to the size of their aircrafts

the renters @ T7 will either go to T1 or T4 DL should knock down T2 and build a new term where T2 & 3 stood as well, with a walkway to T4 they use but try to get as many flights into a new term as they can, a DL Worldport. T2 is a hole
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's so little PHL-TATL O&D that those captive passengers aren't going to save yields. There's lot of competition against xxx-PHL-EU. There are lots of airports in the East and Upper Midwest with decent TATL non-stop offerings. Business travelers will favor those.
What is the total annual PHL-TATL O&D?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by craz
BA has been wanting to redo their T7 @ JFK, I think B6 wants to build a new term, so if AA does enough cutbacks Im wondering if BA would simply move into AAs T8 and let B6 have the footprint of T7 and the old T6 (which they now use as a parking area) to build a new Term maybe with CBP to handle its Intl flights they now have , as well as European flights should they enter that mkt. along with IB going into T8
B6 has the rights to build on the space where T6 was located. They recently announced they are going to expand T5 into the T6 area but want more slots for more flights to utilize new gates. I have never understood why BA never moved into T8. It is a really nice terminal and it would make connections much easier. Same goes for IB, CX, and OpenSkies. BA should take the money they would invest in a renovated T7 and use it to build a couple more gates past 14/16 at T8.

Originally Posted by perseus11
What is the total annual PHL-TATL O&D?
Not sure about the total annual PHL-TATL O&D, but I have some figures for some routes.

PHL-LHR: ~210 PDEW
PHL-CDG: ~90-95 PDEW
PHL-FCO: ~90 PDEW
PHL-FRA: ~85 PDEW
PHL-DUB: ~50-55 PDEW
PHL-MAN: ~50 PDEW
PHL-MAD: ~50 PDEW

Every other city is below 50. Of course, it varies based on the time of year and I do not know the month by month numbers, but it is not a lot. For a simple comparison, NYC-ZRH, which is getting cut for PHL-ZRH, has ~18x more O&D traffic.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
However, it's clear that NYC-based premium O&D is crucial to both AA and the AA/BA joint business. That's why so much effort is put into JFK-LHR and JFK-LAX/SFO.
Although AA flies the A321T to SFO, and they have the best hard and soft product of any airline on the route, they're only barely making an effort at competing. Today was a typical Friday where they had just four flights, with the latest scheduled to depart at 5:30pm. This isn't doable if working a full day in NYC, and many weekends see just three flights. These schedules just aren't competitive with DL or B6, or of course UA if EWR works (as it does for many in Manhattan).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DA201
I have never understood why BA never moved into T8. It is a really nice terminal and it would make connections much easier. Same goes for IB, CX, and OpenSkies. BA should take the money they would invest in a renovated T7 and use it to build a couple more gates past 14/16 at T8.
Because you can be curb to gate in T7 in 5 minutes...not happening at T8.

T7 also much nicer post-renovation, with IMO better F&B options.

IIRC BA also owns T7 and thus has control over what they want to do w/it...guessing they would lose that w/T8.

If you're not in CX F, IMO while the BA lounges in T7 aren't great, they're still better F&B-wise than their T8 counterparts (though less well lit).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ajm883
Although AA flies the A321T to SFO, and they have the best hard and soft product of any airline on the route, they're only barely making an effort at competing. Today was a typical Friday where they had just four flights, with the latest scheduled to depart at 5:30pm. This isn't doable if working a full day in NYC, and many weekends see just three flights. These schedules just aren't competitive with DL or B6, or of course UA if EWR works (as it does for many in Manhattan).
- AA has emphasized LAX more over the past few years
- Fri/Sat/Sun are more leisure heavy for transcons, and AA doesn't do as well with leisure due to the lack of economy seats. They don't seem to have enough paid business travel for these days
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:41 pm

What's happening to the JFK hub?

So they just lost SJU, they will be losing ZRH, MAN, and a CDG flight in the coming months.

Even during recent years I have noticed a lot of routes disappearing.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

This has been covered pretty extensively in recent threads and posts.
(like this one from today: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28717270 )

Summary answer: the party's over.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

The "party" is changing. AA no longer needs JFK to function as a primary hub. With an excellent hub just down I-95, AA is now free to optimize both JFK and LGA more for O&D. That is what we are witnessing.
LDVFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by commavia
The "party" is changing. AA no longer needs JFK to function as a primary hub. With an excellent hub just down I-95, AA is now free to optimize both JFK and LGA more for O&D. That is what we are witnessing.
That's one way of describing it-- just not a particularly accurate one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.