Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Happy to report easy day at BCN today....no sign of a strike or long wait times. Leaving from gate B67 which was a walk but no lines to deal with. The airport lounge isn't as bad as everyone says.....I stocked up on lots of water bottles if this flight back is anything like coming here, attentiveness wise.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:27 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Flew into MAD last week. No long lines anywhere.

Flying out of MAD tomorrow and will post any updates.
Clay_C. likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
The security staff at BCN are now on all-out strike and security is being manned by Guardia Civil. I am not aware of any hold ups at BCN, as reported in much of the Spanish press. Certainly at my local airport, security used to be handled by Guardia Civil anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just one more data point... today (15 Aug) I flew on AA95 MAD-JFK. After reading this thread, I decided to arrive at the airport extra early, just in case. It was probably about 8am when I went through security and immigration and there were no lines at all. I can't really say how things got later when the bank of flights arrived, but early on, there were no delays at all.
johnash likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

The strike in BCN has been suspended effective immediately until further notice due to the terrorist attack.

If travelling to BCN or Spain, remember to carry an ID (Passport or National ID Card) with you at all times
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:25 am

Any updates on MAD border control lines? Flying to PHL on Monday. Also, any priority lanes for J pax at border control?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Any updates on MAD border control lines? Flying to PHL on Monday. Also, any priority lanes for J pax at border control?
just flew in/out of madrid last week, no lines what to speak of... arrived in the am and departed at around 11 am
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by lowfareair
MAD has only fast track security for OneWorld J, immigration is just EU/Non-EU booths.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA
Any news of delays at Barcelona? Flying back tomorrow and just had a message from BA to arrive at airport early due to industrial action by security staff
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flew out of BCN today and had no issues whatsoever. ^
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Anyone going via MAD will wish to see this. It seems the chaos is back, for those exiting the EU at least.

T4S exit immigration mess
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We processed immigration into the EU at MAD T4-S November 1.

The queues were lengthy and slow. The rightmost queue (closest to EU resident arrivals queues) for non-EU arriving passengers was 2-3x faster than the rest because many passengers were diverted into EU resident queues that were non-existent.

Avoid the escalators to or from trains and use the lifts.

Added to a four hour diversion of our DFW-MAD flight and having to go to the third world MAD Terminal 2, I’m glad we allowed for a very long connecting time for our ongoing UX flight to TFN. Eight hours’ connection time ultimately gave us an hour at the really dumpy Puerta De Alcala Lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
We processed immigration into the EU at MAD T4-S November 1.

The queues were lengthy and slow. The rightmost queue (closest to EU resident arrivals queues) for non-EU arriving passengers was 2-3x faster than the rest because many passengers were diverted into EU resident queues that were non-existent.

Avoid the escalators to or from trains and use the lifts.
Thanks. Disappointing. What time of day was that?

Thanks for the tip re lifts. I can never remember which is quicker and each time I say "must remember to use the escalators/lifts".... and never do!.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Well I encounter this on a transfer to Munich (mia-mad-muc)?

there was a flight change and now my connection is only 95 minutes. (I arrive at 14:20). Flight is in May, and a similar one next year with an 85 minute connection (lax-mad-nice).

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 25, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Exit immigration T4S can be slow

Hi,

I left T4S for a BA flight to LHR last sunday . I arrived at passport control about 10am and the queue was half way to the escalators but had the tensa barriers set up and took around 20mins ( by the time I had been seen the queue was back to the escalators ( after another train had arrived).

The previous Saturday ( at 830am) the queues were 1-2min

For the noon departures ( it looks like around 10am is the peak time for exit passport control) the earlier might be better

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.