Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by anabolism
Is there a thread that's discussing it? I scanned the first 5-6 pages of the BA forum and didn't see anything.
Here you go http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ol-delays.html
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Thank you very much for the link, I appreciate it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by anabolism
Thank you very much for the link, I appreciate it.
You're welcome. I remembered enough about how it was titled to know how to search for it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:20 am

At Madrid T4S departures there are separate lanes for EU and non-EU citizens. This morning at abut 10am, it took about two minutes to get through the EU passport control. The lines for non-EU citizens were longer but not exceptional; I would guess they would be taking about ten minutes. For EU citizens, the agents were only doing visual checks of passports, not scanning into the computers. Whereas leaving BCN in May, they were scanning and entering passport info into the computers for everybody - and it took almost an hour!
IB had sent me a text yesterday warning of extra delays at passport control so I got here about three hours prior to BOS flight; could have stayed in bed longer!
Note also that half the lounge in T4S is closed for renovations so it is packed. There is a sign by the entry (turned to the wall at the moment) saying the lounge is full, so I guess there are times when they have to limit entry.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
We were on the 10am BCN-JFK flight. Gate was B67 if that helps. The passport booth which you had to go through was before gates B67-69.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
1 hour to connect at Madrid enough time?

I have award flights on IB coming up Nov. 6 VCE-MAD-ORD with 1 hour to connect in Madrid. Looking at this chaos and reading the reports here there is no way we would make the connection to the TATL flight.

Is IB reacting to this mess by changing the times of their outbound TATL flights to accommodate the connecting pax? What happens if we miss the MAD-ORD flight due to slow passport control? There is only one IB flight to ORD a day.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
We're not travelling through MAD until next April so hoping these issues, including the lounge refurbishment, are sorted out before then!

We have always praised MAD as we have been used to clearing controls in both directions in a matter of seconds! Pre-Brexit, we still have EU (British!) passports and are Spanish residents.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Pictures from 7/4:

Just after getting off the escalator

In line
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
This has been going on for months. How is it not resolved yet?!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Pictures from 7/4:

In line
What line?!!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laagima
What line?!!
That was to get inside a tensa barrier, people weren't single file inside of it. There were three sets of ropes and then people wedged themselves in front of agents, but even those weren't single file.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Someone is already trolling for business helping people claim compensation for delayed flights from madrid:

https://www.claimflights.co.uk/airpo...arajas-airport

Would this apply to Americans or only EU citizens?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by justforfun
This has been going on for months. How is it not resolved yet?!
Because it is Europe, and "officials" there are as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike !
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Just transited MAD this morning, and happy to report that at 7:35am on Monday morning there was absolutely no one in line at Terminal 4S passport control. Walked straight up to an agent. It could be that it was still early, but wanted to offer this data point.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
This is the new normal

This is the likely cause....new regulations as the OP mentions.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pr...ernal-borders/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.