Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I will report back on Monday on what the BCN situation is like
Fingers crossed you get one of the no queue times/days.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by wrp96
Fingers crossed you get one of the no queue times/days.
Thanks for the well wishes!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:24 am

Will be flying into MAD and out of BCN in the next several weeks.

Cant' wait for the mayhem!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
BCN strike: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-major-delays

and re general European delays. According to the BBC the delays are by no means everywhere. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ngen-passports
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
Everyone outside of the 27 gets their passport scanned now.
They’re scanning the passports of EU27 citizens too – indeed, EU citizens are specifically the target of this new regulation.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
According to the article, the strikes are occuring on Friday, Sunday, and Monday only, at least until 14 Aug?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
According to the article, the strikes are occuring on Friday, Sunday, and Monday only, at least until 14 Aug?
That is correct. If not agreement is reached by 14 Aug the strike will turn into 24/7.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Not really pertinent but arriving into BCN this AM was very easy and no wait despite AA being delayed out of JFK. Let's see on Monday....
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:04 am

"Britain pushed for extra security checks in European airports which are being blamed for huge queues.

Tourists are having to queue for up to four hours at passport control in some European airports after the introduction of tougher security checks earlier this year.

The detailed checks, which were introduced in May, apply to British citizens because the UK is not a member of the open-borders Schengen zone. Airports in France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Holland have been accused of failing to deploy enough staff to carry out the checks."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...eues-european/
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
"Britain pushed for extra security checks in European airports which are being blamed for huge queues."
European-related articles in the UK press should come with a health warning these days: a paper's position on Brexit is a filter for everything.

This new regulation does *not* only target British citizens. It extends the criminal and terrorism database checks that were previously conducted only on third-party nationals (that is: non-EU) to all travelers.

The reason that British travelers are particularly hard hit is because a large proportion of non-Schengen flights from Schengen airports are to Britain. But this is not an issue that uniquely affects British (or even non-Schengen) citizens, as everyone has discovered.

Last edited by jamespvg; Aug 5, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:25 am
Suspended

I'm staying at Hotel Arts in Barcelona and got back to my room today to a note slipped under my door alerting me to the strike and to leave 4 hours before my flight. Should be fun tomorrow morning!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jamespvg
This new regulation does *not* only target British citizens. It extends the criminal and terrorism database checks that were previously conducted only on third-party nationals (that is: non-EU) to all travelers.
The article I quoted includes that Britain pushed for regulations requiring extra security checks and that those regulations apply to British citizens. Are you disagreeing with either of those claims?

Who said the new regulation targets only British citizens?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
The article I quoted includes that Britain pushed for regulations requiring extra security checks and that those regulations apply to British citizens. Are you disagreeing with either of those claims?

Who said the new regulation targets only British citizens?
Not intended as a jab at you, richarddd! I think the reporting has just generally been sloppy on this issue. This was the quote in question...

"The detailed checks, which were introduced in May, apply to British citizens because the UK is not a member of the open-borders Schengen zone."

...which is strictly true, but I think confusing to many, since the checks apply to all EU citizens leaving to anywhere outside of Schengen. The confusion is evident on this thread too — e.g., people seem to think that non-Schengen EU citizens now go through non-EU lines, which is absolutely not the case.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Any recent reports out of DUS? Flying out of there in a few weeks on BA with separate ticket connecting to AA at LHR. This makes me nervous...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Schengen, non-schengen.....it sounds like all of us have to deal with the same misery no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.