Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mvoight
HEL is really good. FINNAIR has a Moscow (SVO) - HEL - JFK connection that is 40 minutes....... The normal area was very fast the last time I was there, and there is an express lane for short connections. I think MAD is a good place to avoid for connections
HEL works out much better than many Schengen ports of exit if viewed from just a passport control perspective. But for most US trips with an EU destination/origin, HEL is more commonly substantially out of the way than other Schengen ports of entry/exit at EU carrier hubs.

Even as HEL became worse for me as a Schengen port of exit after it put in place automated passport control to exit the Schengen area, it's still better than most other EU hub airports when it comes to passport control.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bd24133
Any news whether this only affects MAD? We are leaving from BCN on Thursday and would like to be prepared if need be.

Thanks
This seems to be getting the norm in all of Spain - MAD is the worst because of the number of flights and BCN can be really bad as well. Last night at ALC, the queues were all over to get into Spain as they seem to have problems with the biometric passport reading equipment. Others were going through police manned controls - which we were told were only for families with children and Spanish passport and identity card holders. This said - this was the first weekend on July with a lot of people traveling on holiday.

Getting out however had been no problem as there were no checks whatsoever as the police were nowhere to be seen - presumably they were too busy dealing with arrivals!

I would allow longer than usual if possible. In Spain the police are a law until themselves.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mvoight
HEL is really good. FINNAIR has a Moscow (SVO) - HEL - JFK connection that is 40 minutes....... The normal area was very fast the last time I was there, and there is an express lane for short connections. I think MAD is a good place to avoid for connections
You wouldn't go through passport control at all connecting between two non-schengen countries---right?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by boerne
Any word if this is true in Lisbon?
Lisbon is fine. Not spain and no problems in particular like these.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Confidencial article illustrates the situation:

OMG !

The OP noted his/her travel was EU-MAD-US, but this would also affect US-MAD-EU et al obviously. With summer storms in the afternoon possibly affecting departures this could be an issue i.e. DFW, MIA, JFK, et al.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was also there yesterday and it was unlike anything I've ever seen. I got to passport control at 11 am and didn't get through until 12:35 barely making the 12:45 to BOS. The only way to describe it is a complete breakdown of command and control. There was no one on hand to guide people or direct them. Near riots broke out when people cut and the police had to respond with whistles and pushing. People were crying and yelling. It was absolute chaos
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SamOF
You wouldn't go through passport control at all connecting between two non-schengen countries---right?
Technically, you are correct but some countries such as France appear to have abandoned this. Arriving at Nice last month from Madrid, we went through passport control.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SamOF
Indeed that is the case at HEL. But even when not having to clear passport control on my HEL transits, I can still see what HEL passport control is like. HEL's not as bad as a pit that is passport control at BA and IB home hubs.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Flew BCN-JFK in May. Took over an hour to get through passport control.

I suggest arriving at the airport 5 hours before flight time for BCN and MAD.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Flew BCN-JFK in May. Took over an hour to get through passport control.

I suggest arriving at the airport 5 hours before flight time for BCN and MAD (intentional positioning for the 789 and PE to DFW)
All of a sudden I am quite thankful to have a 3.5 hour layover on our BUC-MAD-DFW-SAT at the end of this month
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We just spent a couple of weeks in spain and parts of our party did some regional air travel to visit a few friends and got caught in this chaos for what ahould have been very easy short hop flights. In general, Saturday and Sunday seem to be exponentially worse. It's not just the passport queues, pretty much everywhere in the airports in Spain seems overwhelmed!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Bcn is often bad too. Check out the ba forum. With a non eu passport it's a crap shoot and could add an extra hour onto your timing
Is it bad for both arriving and departing?

Originally Posted by stephem
In general, Saturday and Sunday seem to be exponentially worse. It's not just the passport queues, pretty much everywhere in the airports in Spain seems overwhelmed!
Are Saturdays and Sundays significantly worse for both arriving and departing?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Bcn is often bad too. Check out the ba forum.
Is there a thread that's discussing it? I scanned the first 5-6 pages of the BA forum and didn't see anything.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just FYI, we left BCN (to JFK) this AM. No issues at all. They had passport control at the gate. I don't remember that happening before, maybe it's new?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Just FYI, we left BCN (to JFK) this AM. No issues at all.
Great! How early in the morning was it?

They had passport control at the gate. I don't remember that happening before, maybe it's new?
IIRC, last year there was passport control before a separate area of the terminal; past that were the gates for non-Shengen destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.