Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What about US passport holders departing BCN/Spain?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Everyone outside of the 27 gets their passport scanned now.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:20 am

those queues just remind me hour (and sometimes more) long queues in MIA or JFK on flight arrivals afternoon wave from Europe or CA/SA
Nothing new in this world....

For EU passeports entering Schengen, you can use now more and more automated control posts. Did not notice extra time 2 weeks ago when entering ORY from LHR
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by bebert
those queues just remind me hour (and sometimes more) long queues in MIA or JFK on flight arrivals afternoon wave from Europe or CA/SA
Nothing new in this world....

For EU passeports entering Schengen, you can use now more and more automated control posts. Did not notice extra time 2 weeks ago when entering ORY from LHR
Have to disagree that this is nothing new. These lines are to LEAVE the country. That is very new for Europe.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Long lines being shown on Spanish TV at security at BCN due to strike by security workers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:35 am

Yes, aparently the company providing security in BCN (EULEN) is on strike and they are threatening to go on full strike starting mid-August. The national administration of airports (AENA) is unwilling to sit in a conflict between the company and their workers, so this might take a while.

Some posts in El País (in Spanish):
https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/08/03/c...77_158640.html
https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/08/02/c...02_807637.html
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I transited MAD in and out of Schengen last week. I didn't notice any difference from the last time I transited MAD back in November 2016. The only confusion was when the line managers tried to direct everyone toward the EU Passports Only booths. It took them a minute to realize that the 7 open booths that said All Passports were a good bet for non EU passports
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This really has nothing to do with AA, why is it here?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's why I was asking about US passports....but it sounds like we all must go through the same channel as U.K. Residents. I'm an EU/Irish dual citizen....could I lessen my wait time with my Irish passport?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AA flies into MAD and BCN. Why are there long threads about other airports?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:44 am

BCN started the strikes today: El Pais.

This is an initial strike at security points (before passport control) that will happen every day for 30 minutes at 5.30 am, 10.40, 4.30 pm, 6.30. If things are not fixed by mid august, they will go to full strikes (24 hours, only minimal personal).
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by johnash
AA flies into MAD and BCN. Why are there long threads about other airports?
Because many people that fly AA to MAD/BCN will then connect at those two airports on to others in Spain. So, the impact of this situation at various airports across Spain certainly effects many people flying on AA to MAD/BCN.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I transited MAD in and out of Schengen last week. I didn't notice any difference from the last time I transited MAD back in November 2016. The only confusion was when the line managers tried to direct everyone toward the EU Passports Only booths. It took them a minute to realize that the 7 open booths that said All Passports were a good bet for non EU passports
Last Sunday, we transited (incorrectly - should have taken the bus but could not understand the directions being given) from H terminal to R terminal and had to check passports before entering the RSU? terminal area. We used our US passports in the EE-EU-EEE (or whatever it was) line. Traffic wasn't bad at all. It was about 8am when we did this. We were traveling from OTP-MAD-DFW-SAT.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
From this thread on the BA board, the issue affects leaving the Schengen zone, and apparently isn't constrained to just Spanish airports (although BCN is a special case with security staff also striking).

As AA operates flights from BCN, MAD, etc this would specifically affect AA passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

I will report back on Monday on what the BCN situation is like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.