Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
having flown Qatar alot this year, I find that the FA actually encourage the use of the call button, (a La carte menu) it seems that would rather you call then. At first I was not quite sure , but it seems to work out just fine
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
While I don't see the call button as something for emergencies only, I do see it as something that requests urgent attention. I try not to press it for service requests unless I'm trapped in a window seat and I'm in J/F.

OTOH, the one time I was probably drunkest on an AA flight, my seatmate and I were having drinks while chatting and he kept hitting the call button for refills. The FAs appeared cheerfully every time and obliged our refill requests. Never thought I could drink so much between DFW and LAX...

I've never seen an indignant reaction to someone pressing the call button (on AA--I sure have on DL), but I sure have perturbed the crew when walking to the J galley to make a request midflight on the 77W.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I have had several Flight Attendants tell me they prefer working in J or F because they had something to do. They preferred the service element of the flight rather than sit around in the galley. A flight attendant that snaps at you for using the call button for a drink is more than likely an outliner.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What is extraordinary is that people seem to have a problem dealing with situations and do not speak up at the time.
I agree.

It is also interesting that people on this thread seem to have already predetermined the possible outcomes or scenarios and written them into little compartmentalized buckets. Either they'll sit there stewing and dehydrating, unwilling to push the button for 8 hours, or they'll passive-aggressively hit it, rarin' for a fight and assuming the FA is ready to take their head off.

How about just being nice and/or civil? Press the button, when the FA comes over, greet them with a smile and thank them for their response before they can get a word out. Then politely make the request and see how it goes. If the FA really is just a horrible person and treats you like dirt then well, at least you took the high road. But just try it.*

*This also goes for hotel desk agents, wait staff, etc. I've had rather good luck personally.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
I just flew from JFK to HKG and back in J. The menu snack item was a burger available "on request" and I used the call button to order it when I wanted it, and also to order drinks when I wanted them outside of mealtimes, and the FAs seemed perfectly fine with it. After all with "on request" you have to request it somehow.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Im on 583 to phx and I just used it. The flight attendant didn't seem miffed at all either. After the first round of drinks she bolted to her jump seat and hid. lol In 2D i can't see her to get her attention and wanted another heineken so yeah I hit it. She is a very pleasant flight attendant.

FWIW after handing me my can she made her rounds again.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Pssh I used it a few times when nonreving for goodness sakes lol, so you should definitely use it for service if necessary as a revenue pax. I was thirsty and I noticed the FA's hadn't made any effort to check on people in quite awhile on a longhaul flt.

I would simply say it is all how you present yourself. If they come up and you are rude and say "I've been waiting for you to bring drinks forever" they probably won't be nice.

A simple "Hey, sorry to ring the bell but I was wonder if I could _____" would be just fine. Honestly, even though you are not really sorry nor should you be, just be fake nice enough in a mature conversation.

IF you get some rude FA who tells you it's only for emergencies, take their name down and report them upon landing. No need to get in an argument or get heated over it.

But alas by all means use the FA call button (within reason of course). If you can, try the restroom visit/ask. If you don't feel you should have to, then don't, ring the bell. FA's, although primarily there for safety, are also there to make pax comfort better. No matter how important some think they are.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I press the call button whenever I need something.

That said, I'm always in first for long-haul travel, and if not I'm in business (I point that out not to boast but to emphasize that "real service" carriers such as CX and SQ and EK and NH and EY and LH and LX and JL aren't prone to throwing hissy fits when their flight attendants are asked to perform their duties when a call button is pressed, vs. "non-service" US legacy employees). That said, I also don't fly US carriers for long-haul travel (last US carrier I flew was a UA segment in first Europe to Dulles in 2014 on an award).

...and now that I've written all that, I am reminded that this is in the American forum, and is really about American...so never mind.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack ...........
Fly Virgin America and your wish is granted.

By ordering through the IFE, they bring your order the first time rather than having to ask what you want. A great system.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:08 pm

Again zero issues here in using the call light
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

I am waiting for an enterprising airline, perhaps UA, as this seems to be right up their alley, to request to Boeing and Airbus that the call button be engineered in a manner that delivers a mild - or perhaps even not so mild - electric shock to the person who pushes it.

Alternatively, AA might request that the aircraft manufacturers implement a software enhancement to the FA call button whereby pressing it automatically decrements 500 or 1000 AAdvantage miles from the seatholder's account.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
IIRC, on Etihad and Qatar (The J cabins I've flown in the past few months) the call button does not make a sound, only a light comes up.

Is it really that loud on AA's aircraft to disturb other pax?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:45 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I always thought that needing my Second Glass of Wine with my dinner...Was an Emergency
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
I am waiting for an enterprising airline, perhaps UA, as this seems to be right up their alley, to request to Boeing and Airbus that the call button be engineered in a manner that delivers a mild - or perhaps even not so mild - electric shock to the person who pushes it.

As MonkeyClassDonkey123 said recently, soon the service will be enhanced so you simply get slapped in the face by an FA as you enter the aircraft. "Welcome aboard" *smack* "Across the aisle and turn right."
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I think it's hard to make the argument that the call button is for "emergencies only" when many of them look like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/67....319144410.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.