Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Then they just ignore it/you, and turn it off as they pass your seat.
It's easy to just turn it back on.

I think I've used a call button a total of 5 times in 20+ years of flying. Aggressive laziness on the part of an employee might certainly change that for a single flight if only to make a point.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
I was flying DFW-GRU and I was actually told after pushing the Flight Attendant Call Button that it was exclusively for Emergencies ONLY and that otherwise I should wait patiently and that was in F.

So, since then I have avoided it like the plague and only contemplated using when an actual emergency occurred.
Assuming your plane has wifi would be a great opportunity for twitter: Hi AA your lazy FA just told us the call button is only for emergencies - can you clarify AA policy?

Then show the FA the response from AA, using the call button to get their attention of course.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I find on the Airbus if you are seated in the window you have to reach over into your seatmate's face to hit the call button (or air vents). I try to use it only when necessary like a spill. Otherwise I make a request going to the lav or as a FA is walking by.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I just go to the bathroom and ask for something on my way back to my seat...works every time and let's them know I am awake and would like to be checked on.
Did this on a LOT flight recently (WAW-ICN) and the FA just pointed to the bottles of water on the drinks trolley with a 'you can serve yourself look'. Same thing happened on the return leg. In fact, all the Y cabin crew were sitting together at the back, were they spent virtually the entire flight chatting with each other while the pax kept coming to serve themselves drinks.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:23 pm

How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack and the light above is Blue but in an Emergency you either press the Red Button and the light flashes Red with three tones pause three tones etc. being heard in the galley. A double tone for non emergencies.

Or on other planes who do not have the IFE system you press a Red Button for an Emergency and a Green Button for other non urgent needs.

OnStar in the car has different buttons one for SOS one for the Concierge.

Just my two cents.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Did this on a LOT flight recently (WAW-ICN) and the FA just pointed to the bottles of water on the drinks trolley with a 'you can serve yourself look'. Same thing happened on the return leg. In fact, all the Y cabin crew were sitting together at the back, were they spent virtually the entire flight chatting with each other while the pax kept coming to serve themselves drinks.
Well, you know how it is with that LOT.

Originally Posted by danielonn
How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack and the light above is Blue but in an Emergency you either press the Red Button and the light flashes Red with three tones pause three tones etc. being heard in the galley. A double tone for non emergencies.

Or on other planes who do not have the IFE system you press a Red Button for an Emergency and a Green Button for other non urgent needs.

OnStar in the car has different buttons one for SOS one for the Concierge.

Just my two cents.
Better yet, a Morse code setup so you could telegraph your orders!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with hitting the call button, just don't act surprised when I show up at your seat
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Here we go, from Twitter Team:

Last edited by oysterhead43; Apr 23, 2017 at 1:56 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Its all about the way you interact with cabin crew.

Face them as their employee & they will treat you as a nothing. Have an air of authority & you will be served.

Too many passengers think they are bothering crew. My view, especially if I am in F, ping the button, ask for what you require, say thank you and if it doesn't come ask if there is a problem....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:29 pm

Oysterhead 43 I think you have settled this question.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by oysterhead43

I would screen shoot that and flash it anytime some flight attendant comes by (eventually) and asks what's the problem.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Where in the world did you hear the FA call button is only for emergencies?

Aye carumba... I'm going to bite my tongue on the rest of my thought...

Regards
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
In the past, I've always considered the FA call button a last resort, primarily for dire situations, safety or health. But in the past, inflight service particularly on long haul flights was far more attentive. Now we have situations where passengers are left to their own devices for hours on end. Even in J and F.

So, the times they are a changing and so will I:

The moment I feel abandoned or poorly serviced, rather than sit there annoyed, the call button is getting pushed. I literally will be pushier to get the service I desire.

Why not!?
I had a FA have a right pop at me on an EasyJet flight once for using.

I complained to the main FA on my way off.

I wish I had been quicker to respond at the time by pointing out to her that if it was for emergencies only why the hell has it got a picture of you holding an iced drink on it?

I won't be not replying of there is a next time
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I just go to the bathroom and ask for something on my way back to my seat...works every time and let's them know I am awake and would like to be checked on.
I use this approach too. I go to the toilet and when I come out, I say "May I please have a diet coke(*)...I am in 2F. Thanks."

(*) or an OJ with Tito's vodka in it
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Where in the world did you hear the FA call button is only for emergencies?

Aye carumba... I'm going to bite my tongue on the rest of my thought...

Regards
HE heard it here, post #6

Originally Posted by kmersh
I was flying DFW-GRU and I was actually told after pushing the Flight Attendant Call Button that it was exclusively for Emergencies ONLY and that otherwise I should wait patiently and that was in F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.