Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dweick
Sounds to me like she knew what she was doing, planned well and was naturally distraught when some ogre started demanding she gate check one of her carry-on items that was allowed under the airline rules.

I didn't realize this mother was the very first mother to have carry on items gate checked. I have been on a few flights which had involuntary gate check when the bins were full.

The male crew member should have been removed because he escalated the situation with the male passenger. I wouldn't have objected if both were removed from the flight.
Suspended

Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
One of the reasons why after everything I still fly United. I have seen my share of incompetence, ignorance and arrogance with them but not this type of aggressive and vindictive "stand your ground" culture.
UA is no better/different.

This is a collision of many things: bag fees, on time pressure, cranky consumers, terrible coach seats made for little people, and I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of. Overall, the flying experience is just an awful and stressful event. Try traveling with two little ones alone, international. W/o getting into the details, things like this are bound to happen in the current messed up environment. Really disappointing the hardline 'flyertalk' crowd takes the side of AA and some even call the Mom an 'idiot'.

Just watch, there will be more 'incidents' in the coming weeks/months.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
UA is no better/different.
The difference to their recent incidence is that they called LEOs to handle a dispute instead of trying to gain personal satisfaction out of the physical abuse of other people. But you are correct in that this difference will go away as they will stop this practice and have their crews try to resolve disputes. God bless those planes and the people in them....
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The wonan's travel party was entitled to more than one bag plus one personal item.

Gate-checked car seats do get dropped. Compared to carries-on car seats, dropped car seats may not be as structurally robust in case of a car accident after the airline drops it (repeatedly).

Was 2F a FAM?
I don't believe so, as the women in 2D seemed to be touching him with a sense of familiarity when trying to get him back into his seat.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Annerk
I don't believe so, as the women in 2D seemed to be touching him with a sense of familiarity when trying to get him back into his seat.
I was thinking that was his wife.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was thinking that was his wife.
What I meant, although it also could have been a girlfriend. Either way, she seemed familiar with him, not a random stranger sitting next to him by chance.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What I meant, although it also could have been a girlfriend. Either way, she seemed familiar with him, not a random stranger sitting next to him by chance.
could be a girlfriend. Dude has a ring on though. Perhaps his nightmare is only starting...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I think you're correct. On-duty FAM being accompanied by a female companion passenger in the seat next to them would be unusual.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:44 pm

I always thought families with small children were the first ones to board. I don't see how that many people were on the plane already that the OHB were already filled.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MDJennings
Definitely agree here. I'm surprised the male FA didn't have the male pax arrested (or at least removed) for threatening to assault him.

Threatening to, "knock [him] silly," sure seems like intimidation to me.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/46504

I'm guessing the male FA was the one that AA removed from service early this morning for attempting to goad the male pax into hitting him. That's the only wrongdoing on AA's part here IMO.

Anyway, when is the boycott? Hopefully everyone faux outraged decides to cancel their award reservations so others can have some sAAver awards.
While you're at it, can you check https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/46501 and let us know if an aircraft at the gate is within the "special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States", which is required for 49 U.S.C. § 46504 to apply?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sandtiger
I always thought families with small children were the first ones to board. I don't see how that many people were on the plane already that the OHB were already filled.
No. Most carriers in the US don't most commonly have families with small children boarding first. That era is long gone, and now it's more commonly the "elite" of the "elites" before those with infants/toddlers (unless the same).

My last several AA flights this month got AA elites and military boarding before infants/toddlers on my same flights. Can't say I'm a fan of this, but that is how it often goes when flying AA too.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The wonan's travel party was entitled to more than one bag plus one personal item.

Gate-checked car seats do get dropped. Compared to carries-on car seats, dropped car seats may not be as structurally robust in case of a car accident after the airline drops it (repeatedly).

Was 2F a FAM?
However the woman is not entitled to three check-in items if she bought two tickets : the huge backpack, the car seat and the stroller. I don't know where the car seat is in the video I saw, but the eyewitness accounts of the interaction indicated one child was in a car seat when she started refusing to relinquish the stroller.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DiscHandler
However the woman is not entitled to three check-in items if she bought two tickets : the huge backpack, the car seat and the stroller. I don't know where the car seat is in the video I saw, but the eyewitness accounts of the interaction indicated one child was in a car seat when she started refusing to relinquish the stroller.
The devil is in the details.

She had three tickets, as even with two the devil is in the details.

In other words, I wouldn't be so certain that you're claim above is right.

FAA-approved car seat for a ticketed and seated infant doesn't count against the cabin baggage allowance limit of "one cabin bag + one personal item".

From what I can see, and even including the car seat, there doesn't seem to be an excessive cabin baggage item limit hit by this female passenger's travel party.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air marshal in window seat? Notta chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.