Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Old Apr 21, 17, 7:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,636
Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Dear AA: You are making a recipe for more incidents like today by increasing anxiety levels of your passengers by using psychological methods to extract more money from your passengers. Stop it now before another incident
Centurion is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 7:19 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 18,461
Care to elaborate on what exactly happened?
enviroian is online now  
Old Apr 21, 17, 7:26 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,636
There is video of the incident on airline crew group. A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard. You see a unrelated male passenger is ready to fight a member of the crew. I am a firm belief that all the legacy airlines have gone to far and made a very stressful flying environment. From making customers pay for seat assignments and bags to crews that are frustrated all add of to a dangerous mix.
Centurion is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 7:41 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,605
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
There is video of the incident on airline crew group. A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard. You see a unrelated male passenger is ready to fight a member of the crew. I am a firm belief that all the legacy airlines have gone to far and made a very stressful flying environment. From making customers pay for seat assignments and bags to crews that are frustrated all add of to a dangerous mix.
Reading https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp

it seems clear that strollers are permitted to be checked in at gate

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp does not indicate that they can be taken onboard

It reads that the agent that said no to it being taken onboard was correct and that the gate agent should have checked it in and not suggested it could be taken on board
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 8:00 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Reading https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp

it seems clear that strollers are permitted to be checked in at gate

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp does not indicate that they can be taken onboard

It reads that the agent that said no to it being taken onboard was correct and that the gate agent should have checked it in and not suggested it could be taken on board
I think the point may be that the stroller was "grabbed" from the mother. Whether the passenger was right or wrong (see Dao vs. United Airlines) how the situation is handled does matter.
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:09 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,605
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
I think the point may be that the stroller was "grabbed" from the mother. Whether the passenger was right or wrong (see Dao vs. United Airlines) how the situation is handled does matter.
With information provided, there is nothing to clearly show that the agent did nothing more than their job after the gate agent failed to do theirs -- or that the stroller was supposed to be left at the door and the passenger was trying it on.

If it said "agent refused to allow passenger to board with oversized carry on" , what would be the reaction?

I have trouble linking this to forcibly removing a passenger from an aeroplane for no reason other than commercial expedience
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:21 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,250
Everybody is going to look for a payout over every way overblown customer service slight.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:24 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
With information provided, there is nothing to clearly show that the agent did nothing more than their job after the gate agent failed to do theirs -- or that the stroller was supposed to be left at the door and the passenger was trying it on.

If it said "agent refused to allow passenger to board with oversized carry on" , what would be the reaction?

I have trouble linking this to forcibly removing a passenger from an aeroplane for no reason other than commercial expedience

The OP's reason for posting is he/she felt that the AA crew acted in a way that caused the mother anxiety.

It's hard to tell without watching the video - but I read the OP believes "grabbing" the stroller away from the mother was not appropriate.

I hope you don't think forcibly grabbing something out of the mother's hands is OK?
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:25 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
There is video of the incident on airline crew group. A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard. You see a unrelated male passenger is ready to fight a member of the crew. I am a firm belief that all the legacy airlines have gone to far and made a very stressful flying environment. From making customers pay for seat assignments and bags to crews that are frustrated all add of to a dangerous mix.
They just need to up the cost of every fare by 10% and we won't have to deal with seat fees, baggage fees, etc. Then they should jack them up another 20% so they no longer need to overbook. It's about time those in coach (especially on heavily discounted fares) start paying their fair share.

I would have loved to see that white knight passenger assault a member of the flight crew.
MDJennings is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:27 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,605
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
The OP's reason for posting is he/she felt that the AA crew acted in a way that caused the mother anxiety.

It's hard to tell without watching the video - but I read the OP believes "grabbing" the stroller away from the mother was not appropriate.

I hope you don't think forcibly grabbing something out of the mother's hands is OK?
I haven't see the video - not has a link to it been provided , so am not going to assume that the agent acted wrongly. It may well be that the agent didn't address the oversized carry on correctly

Originally Posted by MDJennings View Post
I would have loved to see that white knight passenger assault a member of the flight crew.
riiight - cost assaulting someone is really great
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:30 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Reading https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp

it seems clear that strollers are permitted to be checked in at gate

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp does not indicate that they can be taken onboard

It reads that the agent that said no to it being taken onboard was correct and that the gate agent should have checked it in and not suggested it could be taken on board
the stroller article reads that you are allowed to gate check or counter check your stroller at no cost. It definitely does not state that strollers are not allowed on board.

we have a stroller that is specifically designed to fit in an overhead compartment, but would obviously count against our carry on bag allotment. It is a fairly new stroller and have had somewhat aggressive attendants tell
us it's not allowed, but after showing them it is indeed not oversized and fits all carry on criteria we get an 'oh wow. Never seen one of those' moments
Klimo is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:32 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I haven't see the video - not has a link to it been provided , so am not going to assume that the agent acted wrongly. It may well be that the agent didn't address the oversized carry on correctly
Well, OP says the crew member "grabbed" the stroller from the mother - if that means she was holding it, and it was physically taken out of her hands without her consent - i.e. - "grabbed" then I am sure you would agree it was handled correctly?
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:35 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,605
Originally Posted by Klimo View Post
the stroller article reads that you are allowed to gate check or counter check your stroller at no cost.

we have a stroller that is specifically designed to fit in an overhead compartment, but would obviously count against our carry on bag allotment.
If it was compliant with size requirements, I suspect that this information would be provided

As I said - there is insufficient information to determine anything from the OP
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:35 pm
  #14  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
The OP's reason for posting is he/she felt that the AA crew acted in a way that caused the mother anxiety.

It's hard to tell without watching the video - but I read the OP believes "grabbing" the stroller away from the mother was not appropriate.

I hope you don't think forcibly grabbing something out of the mother's hands is OK?
It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?
Martina70 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Martina70 View Post
It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?
nice assumption.

They make strollers designed for overhead compartments. Can't comment if she had one or not.
Klimo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: