FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1838219-baby-stroller-incident-aa591-sfo-dfw-april-21st.html)

Centurion Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Dear AA: You are making a recipe for more incidents like today by increasing anxiety levels of your passengers by using psychological methods to extract more money from your passengers. Stop it now before another incident

enviroian Apr 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Care to elaborate on what exactly happened?

Centurion Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

There is video of the incident on airline crew group. A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard. You see a unrelated male passenger is ready to fight a member of the crew. I am a firm belief that all the legacy airlines have gone to far and made a very stressful flying environment. From making customers pay for seat assignments and bags to crews that are frustrated all add of to a dangerous mix.

Dave Noble Apr 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 28212814)
There is video of the incident on airline crew group. A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard. You see a unrelated male passenger is ready to fight a member of the crew. I am a firm belief that all the legacy airlines have gone to far and made a very stressful flying environment. From making customers pay for seat assignments and bags to crews that are frustrated all add of to a dangerous mix.

Reading https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp

it seems clear that strollers are permitted to be checked in at gate

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp does not indicate that they can be taken onboard

It reads that the agent that said no to it being taken onboard was correct and that the gate agent should have checked it in and not suggested it could be taken on board

elitetraveler Apr 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28212863)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp does not indicate that they can be taken onboard

It reads that the agent that said no to it being taken onboard was correct and that the gate agent should have checked it in and not suggested it could be taken on board

I think the point may be that the stroller was "grabbed" from the mother. Whether the passenger was right or wrong (see Dao vs. United Airlines) how the situation is handled does matter.

Dave Noble Apr 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 28212908)
I think the point may be that the stroller was "grabbed" from the mother. Whether the passenger was right or wrong (see Dao vs. United Airlines) how the situation is handled does matter.

With information provided, there is nothing to clearly show that the agent did nothing more than their job after the gate agent failed to do theirs -- or that the stroller was supposed to be left at the door and the passenger was trying it on.

If it said "agent refused to allow passenger to board with oversized carry on" , what would be the reaction?

I have trouble linking this to forcibly removing a passenger from an aeroplane for no reason other than commercial expedience

Often1 Apr 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Everybody is going to look for a payout over every way overblown customer service slight.

elitetraveler Apr 21, 2017 8:24 pm

A baby stroller grabbed by a flight attendant from a mother who was told she could take it onboard.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28213070)
With information provided, there is nothing to clearly show that the agent did nothing more than their job after the gate agent failed to do theirs -- or that the stroller was supposed to be left at the door and the passenger was trying it on.

If it said "agent refused to allow passenger to board with oversized carry on" , what would be the reaction?

I have trouble linking this to forcibly removing a passenger from an aeroplane for no reason other than commercial expedience

The OP's reason for posting is he/she felt that the AA crew acted in a way that caused the mother anxiety.

It's hard to tell without watching the video - but I read the OP believes "grabbing" the stroller away from the mother was not appropriate.

I hope you don't think forcibly grabbing something out of the mother's hands is OK?

MDJennings Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm

They just need to up the cost of every fare by 10% and we won't have to deal with seat fees, baggage fees, etc. Then they should jack them up another 20% so they no longer need to overbook. It's about time those in coach (especially on heavily discounted fares) start paying their fair share.

I would have loved to see that white knight passenger assault a member of the flight crew.

Dave Noble Apr 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 28213110)
The OP's reason for posting is he/she felt that the AA crew acted in a way that caused the mother anxiety.

It's hard to tell without watching the video - but I read the OP believes "grabbing" the stroller away from the mother was not appropriate.

I hope you don't think forcibly grabbing something out of the mother's hands is OK?

I haven't see the video - not has a link to it been provided , so am not going to assume that the agent acted wrongly. It may well be that the agent didn't address the oversized carry on correctly

Originally Posted by MDJennings (Post 28213112)
I would have loved to see that white knight passenger assault a member of the flight crew.

riiight - cost assaulting someone is really great

Klimo Apr 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28212863)

the stroller article reads that you are allowed to gate check or counter check your stroller at no cost. It definitely does not state that strollers are not allowed on board.

we have a stroller that is specifically designed to fit in an overhead compartment, but would obviously count against our carry on bag allotment. It is a fairly new stroller and have had somewhat aggressive attendants tell
us it's not allowed, but after showing them it is indeed not oversized and fits all carry on criteria we get an 'oh wow. Never seen one of those' moments

elitetraveler Apr 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28213118)
I haven't see the video - not has a link to it been provided , so am not going to assume that the agent acted wrongly. It may well be that the agent didn't address the oversized carry on correctly

Well, OP says the crew member "grabbed" the stroller from the mother - if that means she was holding it, and it was physically taken out of her hands without her consent - i.e. - "grabbed" then I am sure you would agree it was handled correctly?

Dave Noble Apr 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Klimo (Post 28213128)
the stroller article reads that you are allowed to gate check or counter check your stroller at no cost.

we have a stroller that is specifically designed to fit in an overhead compartment, but would obviously count against our carry on bag allotment.

If it was compliant with size requirements, I suspect that this information would be provided

As I said - there is insufficient information to determine anything from the OP

Martina70 Apr 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 28213110)

It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?

Klimo Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Martina70 (Post 28213141)
It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?

nice assumption.

They make strollers designed for overhead compartments. Can't comment if she had one or not.