Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL & AA Shuttles between DCA-LGA manage to do a full beverage service and have to.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DL & AA Shuttles between DCA-LGA manage to do a full beverage service and have to.
Only because these routes are considered "Premium"...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's definitely creeping up. GSO-PHL is 365 miles, longer than the 318 miles of DCA-ALB mentioned above, and the crew frequently just serves water.

This is of course new, when I was flying Eagle in the 2000s even RDU-DCA at 227 miles and BOS-JFK at 187 miles got full beverage service. The planes are the same size, the crews are just lazier.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Flew AA 2063 LASPHX yesterday. Another flight where FA's announce that due to "possible" turbulence, there will only be water service on the 255 mile flight. Sitting in MCE, of course this was disappointing. Just prior to this announcement, Captain comes on PA, tells us it will be a smooth flight and seat belt sign is turned off. FA's did water service and then hawked the credit card deal.

I get it, safety first. But once again, a lazy crew.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Flew AA 2063 LASPHX yesterday. Another flight where FA's announce that due to "possible" turbulence, there will only be water service on the 255 mile flight. Sitting in MCE, of course this was disappointing. Just prior to this announcement, Captain comes on PA, tells us it will be a smooth flight and seat belt sign is turned off. FA's did water service and then hawked the credit card deal.

If it’s safe to distribute Barclaycard applications, it’s safe to serve drinks
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Only because these routes are considered "Premium"...
Depends on the whim of the flight crew. I was on a delayed shuttle flight (LGA-DCA) where the routing was vectored to be through some thunderstorms. Our filed flight plan was 8,000 feet which is very low! Our route got closed off by ATC and we sat for about an hour. New route was filed and flight crew again announced that owing to turbulence and our new routing being at 8,000 feet, there would be NO service in coach or first. And no Gogo.

Well, we took off and flew well abeam the thunderstorm activity. Our routing took us a good 30 to 40 miles off the New Jersey coast, across Delaware, over Salisbury, and into DCA. Cruising altitude.... 18,000 feet.

Just a bit higher than 8,000. And a very smooth ride.

No service in first or coach.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
I totally understand the safety first approach. Nobody wants anybody to get hurt. However, when the captain says something totally contrary to the flight attendant, I have an issue.

You can't say anything on the plane. Who knows what the repercussions would be? (Could the police be waiting for me?)
Writing to customer service does nothing. (We are sorry that you didn't get what you paid for. We will forward your letter to ((the department of laziness??))) We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.)

I guess I just wished somebody would act like they care.
railmatt likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy

Not sure it was just laziness. The last couple of LAS - PHX trips I have done it's been water only in coach, same as on LAS - LAX. Apparently it's the new standard, although the flight is obviously 255 miles and hence longer than the previous 250 mile threshold for the water & juice beverage service.

My pet hate was always where the announcement would be made about turbulence and hence no service yet passengers in F would always be served. Presumably the first class cabin is a turbulence-free zone
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
PHL-RIC on the 18th. FA goes through cabin and asks all EXP what they want to drink after takeoff and if they want a snack pack. Everyone else offered a water service.
RIC-PHL on the 19th. Water? Biscoff? The end. We had a 20 minute hold time on the ground too, so not like we were in a rush.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

DCA - JFK on a Regional jet of some description came out with the short duration spiel.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:40 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Is it just me or do the OJ cuplets and mini water bottle service really only make an appearance on DFW/LAX L-AA routes that have competition from WN?

I just did DFW-AUS and AUS-DFW this past weekend and they announced that there was to be an "express beverage service" featuring water or OJ. Ditto for LAX-LAS last month. Yet, I haven't seen the water bottles or the cuplets on CLT-CHS/ILM/RDU/ATL or RDU-DCA. On all of those flights F was served and FAs announced it was to be a "no-service flight" due to the short duration.

Also, I seem to recall on flights in Y where there was also fresh food for purchase (1500+ miles), there was usually an additional coffee/tea/water service during pick-up after the first beverage and BOB service. I haven't seen that in a while. Was that always at the crew's discretion or has that been enhanced away?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is MIA-MCO water/juice or nothing? It's almost 200 miles but not quite...
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
Is it just me or do the OJ cuplets and mini water bottle service really only make an appearance on DFW/LAX L-AA routes that have competition from WN?

I just did DFW-AUS and AUS-DFW this past weekend and they announced that there was to be an "express beverage service" featuring water or OJ. Ditto for LAX-LAS last month. Yet, I haven't seen the water bottles or the cuplets on CLT-CHS/ILM/RDU/ATL or RDU-DCA. On all of those flights F was served and FAs announced it was to be a "no-service flight" due to the short duration.

Also, I seem to recall on flights in Y where there was also fresh food for purchase (1500+ miles), there was usually an additional coffee/tea/water service during pick-up after the first beverage and BOB service. I haven't seen that in a while. Was that always at the crew's discretion or has that been enhanced away?
Rarely get a second service on BOS-DFW or DFW-PDX, both of which are 3:30+ of in-air time.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Most of my CLT-ILM is on an RJ, but whenever it's been mainline, it gets the water/OJ option.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Geordie405
My pet hate was always where the announcement would be made about turbulence and hence no service yet passengers in F would always be served. Presumably the first class cabin is a turbulence-free zone
I’ve had recent occasions to experience this, but from the other (1st) point of view. I did feel just a little guilty!

Originally Posted by BOSishome
Rarely get a second service on BOS-DFW or DFW-PDX, both of which are 3:30+ of in-air time.
If not automatically offered a double, I ask for it, and then I don’t worry so much about a second round.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.