Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flightrisk
To confirm your experience, as it has not been posted in this thread, the short haul beverage policy supposedly changed on June 1, 2017 to water/OJ on all flights under 250 miles and specifically removed all exception markets.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Not any more! AA has deemed you unexceptional as of June 1st!

-FlyerBeek
Well, if one feels EXCEPTIONAL, one can still request something else (from the linked article) "Flights under 250 miles will be catered with bottles of water and juice, in addition to a small cart with full options for requests. "

And from time to time, I have that "feeling"
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor
I spoke with a caterer a while back, and I guess AA contracted out many of the bases, including DFW, to LSG and have been messing it up royally. Now they're in talks of expanding the contract to more hubs, while LSG is still messing everything up.
This is confusing- hasn't LSG (and it's predecessor, former AA subsidiary SKyChefs) *always* done catering for AA at DFW?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by The smallest state
the smallest state steps onto stage and puts on a baseball cap with the word SARCASM emblazoned upon it.

Let's remember, they are primarily here for our safety.

removes hat and leaves stage
Do you believe their primary role is to be a waitress?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Do you believe their primary role is to be a waitress?
Their primary role is to be a Flight Attendant. They are attending to the needs of the people on a flight.

During an emergency, their role is focused on safety.

During a normal flight, their role is focused on attending to the needs of the customers. While I have never referred to one as a "waitress" before this includes a vast number of duties including getting drinks.

I must confess, I fail to see the difficulty in serving people a drink who are sitting in a chair. The Captain will usually say words to the effect of if there is anything else we can do to make your flight more comfortable, let us know. Well how about some peanuts, a cup of Sprite. This is not rocket science.
tismfu and Exec_Plat like this.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Alex_I
RDU-DCA is 227 miles but for many years there was an exception. Now it looks like it is gone.
In June I made a few trips in both F and Y and all the time only warm water was served from plastic cups.
Of course, no predeparture bev in F - FA was too busy with her cellphone. In F, some snacks from a basket have been offered to complement warm water (no ice).
Question: what is the official policy for offering complementary snack and drink to EXP on flights without bev service?
I flew RDU-DCA twice in June, once in F and once in Y. Both operated by Republic. Totally opposite experience from you-- full choice in both cases, with snack basket and drink refills when I was in F. Who was the operating carrier on your flights? I find the Republic FAs generally at least try.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Their primary role is to be a Flight Attendant. They are attending to the needs of the people on a flight.

During an emergency, their role is focused on safety.

During a normal flight, their role is focused on attending to the needs of the customers. While I have never referred to one as a "waitress" before this includes a vast number of duties including getting drinks.

I must confess, I fail to see the difficulty in serving people a drink who are sitting in a chair. The Captain will usually say words to the effect of if there is anything else we can do to make your flight more comfortable, let us know. Well how about some peanuts, a cup of Sprite. This is not rocket science.
Precisely.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I can remember when mainline flights like MIA/TPA, MIA/MCO, JFK/BOS and DFW/AUS got nothing in Y and sometimes no service in F.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My impression is that these changes were for Y only, and that F would continue to receive a full service on all flights. Is that correct?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dpb132
My impression is that these changes were for Y only, and that F would continue to receive a full service on all flights. Is that correct?
That is correct. Removal of the exceptions market was for main cabin only. F should continue to receive full drink service regardless of segment length. Of course, F should also continue to receive PDBs unless operational reasons prohibit (and we all know how well that goes on AA).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
(and we all know how well that goes on AA).

-FlyerBeek
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING........LIGHTS FLASHING.......BELLS RINGING..........We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!

"Due to turbulence expected on the flight we will not be serving a beverage service on this flight

Plane lands 40 minutes later without the slightest hint of turbulence.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by no2chem
...Also it seems like SkyWest, Republic, PSA and Envoy have significantly worse FAs than Compass. Again, based on my experience...
Ugh, SkyWest. I had 4 segments on OO CR2s earlier this month, MKE-ORD-TVC. MKE-ORD segment and reverse, nothing to drink. ORD-TVC, water in cups offered, but no juice. TVC-ORD, no service due to turbulence.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
So continuing my frustration with SkyWest... Flew ORD-CVG and back this weekend which is 264 miles each way, per AA. Water and pretzels only on the outbound. Water only on the return.

I've had a few ORD-CMH and return trips too lately, and I believe all of those had full beverage service (don't quote me on that as I was in F for all those). Now, those are a whopping 32 miles longer... and operated by Envoy.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Aero137
So continuing my frustration with SkyWest... Flew ORD-CVG and back this weekend which is 264 miles each way, per AA. Water and pretzels only on the outbound. Water only on the return.

I've had a few ORD-CMH and return trips too lately, and I believe all of those had full beverage service (don't quote me on that as I was in F for all those). Now, those are a whopping 32 miles longer... and operated by Envoy.
Again, sounds like laziness.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Been flying between SHV and DFW now that I've moved to north LA, and it's been interesting to see the variety of beverage services on offer.

SHV-DFW is usually a tad bit longer. I've seen everything from a full beverage service on a CR9 in Y offered by motivated FAs to a "water service due to limited time in the air." Most frequently on the E-145, it's a "limited beverage service" of whatever the FA has on his/her cart.

DFW-SHV has seen everything from a full beverage service (completed with plenty of time to spare on the E-145, I might add) to a "water service."

Amazing how it boils down to what the FA feels like offering/is motivated to offer. One week, an E-145 FA will do the full service on a 35-min flight. The next, it's a water service. It's clear that a full service can be done...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:30 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
When this limited service thingie started a few months ago, on IAH-DFW they offered your choice off water or orange juice.

Nowadays the FA walks down the aisle with a double-armful of (small) water bottles and just hands them out. No choice offered

I suppose the next "improvement" is that they'll roll bottles down the aisle and you just grab yours as it rolls past. With their new 'B' fares, even top elites will be sitting in the back of the plane, which of course means you get your own bottles _plus_ all the water bottles that rolled past all the CK's up front who were too important to reach down and grab one.

Yes, I think I like the new plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.