Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Just flew CMH-BWI-MYR. Both flights were slightly under an hour take off to touchdown. Got a beverage service on each , even with the captain telling the FA’s to sit down for about 10 minutes on BWI-MYR for turbulence.

Edit: My bad. Wrong forum. Obviously, these flights were on WN. Interesting point of comparison though.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Aug 12, 2023 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Time and time again, the industry studies suggest that the "hide in the galley" behavior portends unacceptable performance during life threatening scenarios. I hate to say it, but I actively avoid routes where we've regularly had this behavior from FAs. For folks like us with serious medical considerations, the typical FA laziness can be fatal.
While I certainly don't disagree with this hypothesis, I'm genuinely curious where these industry studies are published. (I'd really like to read them myself)

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does "no beverage service" mean that they don't go around with the cart or that you can't get a drink? Because when they don't come around with the cart I either flag someone down or push the button, and ask for the drink. I've never been refused.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
This could not possibly be more accurate. Time and time again, the industry studies suggest that the "hide in the galley" behavior portends unacceptable performance during life threatening scenarios. I hate to say it, but I actively avoid routes where we've regularly had this behavior from FAs. For folks like us with serious medical considerations, the typical FA laziness can be fatal.
Given that particular FA's don't fly a given route every time it is scheduled (every day every month), how does one "avoid routes where we've regularly had this behavior"?
Is there a place that tracks behavior like this, or do you just avoid the entire city pair on AA after one or two experiences by various crew members?
Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I do wonder if it has anything to do with where the crew is based...the crew on my flight that chose to not provide beverage service on my 90 minute flight were based at LGA.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did notice that there is no snack basket in F on PHX-BUR and back. I'm not sure if this is new since I've only flown PHX-LAX before (and there was always a snack basket there). This was mainline, not American eagle. I was on a 320 there and a 319 back.

As for drinks, I got a PDB as well as one in-flight so there were no issues there. But there was nothing to eat on the way there and just a bag of nuts on the way back.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
While I certainly don't disagree with this hypothesis, I'm genuinely curious where these industry studies are published. (I'd really like to read them myself)

-FlyerBeek
The study of FT posts ;-)...very scientific in nature.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Given that particular FA's don't fly a given route every time it is scheduled (every day every month), how does one "avoid routes where we've regularly had this behavior"?
Is there a place that tracks behavior like this, or do you just avoid the entire city pair on AA after one or two experiences by various crew members?
You've probably noticed it too whether you realized it or not - it's about FA bases, not city pairs per se. Think about how you feel when you're in F and you hear that your crew is DCA-based; and then think about how you feel when you hear that your crew is PHL-based.

(Full disclosure, though, I'm not sure if this is really relevant in Y; my original post was made in a different thread which related to F service and it certainly didn't pertain to "coach" and had nothing to do with the length of the flight, so I'm having a difficult time understanding how a mod chose to move it here.)
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I did notice that there is no snack basket in F on PHX-BUR and back. I'm not sure if this is new since I've only flown PHX-LAX before (and there was always a snack basket there). This was mainline, not American eagle. I was on a 320 there and a 319 back.

As for drinks, I got a PDB as well as one in-flight so there were no issues there. But there was nothing to eat on the way there and just a bag of nuts on the way back.
The snack basket is only supposed to be catered on flights between 500-899 miles, so if you got a bag of nuts (or similar) on the PHX-BUR flight, that's what was supposed to be catered. Like you said though, a lot of times shorter flights do have a snack basket served, so it's hard to set expectations when there are exceptions. IME, I've been on shorter flights that were either miscatered with the basket (instead of just nuts), or the flight was the return of a double-catered flight and there were enough leftovers from the outbound snack basket flight for the FA to make at least one pass with it, so they took the initiative.
LovePrunes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.