Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia
No, it isn't. This sounds like lAAzy flight attendants. Or they were occupied with some safety-critical task ;-)

Unrelated, but while I am here -- I recently flew SAT-DFW in FC and we were told the flight was too short to do a FC beverage service in the air. I have flown that route hundreds of times and this is total BS. The pros know you can get 2 rounds in
Thanks for the validation. It didn’t leave a (going for) great impression on my travel group. I had convinced them to take AA. Beverage service was definitely a published benefit for MCE.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Did the flight attendant announce that there would be no service? If not I would have been laying on that call button.
They had not announced that. It was only as we were starting the descent that we realized the cart had not come through at all, but I was tempted to hit that button. While it wasn’t a huge deal, this wasn’t making a positive impression on people with their infrequent exposure to the brand.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
On the other side of the coin I flew DFW-AMA last month and there was a beverage service in Y. I was really surprised especially as it was a Mesa CR9.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
On the other side of the coin I flew DFW-AMA last month and there was a beverage service in Y. I was really surprised especially as it was a Mesa CR9.
When the regionals don't follow the service standards, it's usually in a positive direction I've found (it's the complete opposite with mainline). This applies to DL, AA, and UA.
LovePrunes and Kevin AA like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:30 pm

Where is link or pdf of the 250
mile Y drink policy policy?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by railmatt
Where is link or pdf of the 250
mile Y drink policy policy?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp

But, it doesn't really mean much these days. I've had two ~400mi (DFW-MSY) flights in the last month where the FAs just unilaterally decided there would be no beverage service in Y/MCE (and turbulence wasn't to blame). Both times they made a PA saying the flight was "too short."

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp

But, it doesn't really mean much these days. I've had two ~400mi (DFW-MSY) flights in the last month where the FAs just unilaterally decided there would be no beverage service in Y/MCE (and turbulence wasn't to blame). Both times they made a PA saying the flight was "too short."

-FlyerBeek
I had the same experience in coach from DFW to MSY last week. MSY to DFW had service in coach, though.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Just a quick update, I took Southwest on another trip between SNA and PHX (same route, same flight time as AA), and there was indeed full beverage cart service for the whole cabin. In addition to this, the cabin crew was so much friendlier, upbeat, smiling, cracking jokes with people, etc.

I’m an AA frequent flyer, but what is going on with AA service lately? it’s not just the lack of beverage service on a flight, there seems to be a shift in attitude across the board. Back in 2021, I was experiencing a lot more of a “welcome back to flying” energy from AA. In my last few encounters, smiles often go unreturned, and I’ve seen multiple agents show actual annoyance at pax for the smallest infractions. Or has it always been this way and I just didn’t notice?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
This is so dependent on individual FA's. I frequently fly BMI-ORD which is usually a 20-30 minute flight. Beverage service is NOT required and for such a short flight it is not expected

My flight last week BMI-ORD, the FA literally sat in the jump seat the entire time other than a quick walk through the cabin for the pre-landing safety check.

My return flight ORD-BMI last night, the FA was working her 6th!! leg of the day and managed to to a drink service of water, ginger ale, and orange juice to the 35 passengers on board, collect trash, and organize the drinks in the galley so it was in good shape for the FAs working the plane the next day. Both of these were Piedmont flights.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just got off a relatively smooth flight from ORD-CLT and there was no service in Y...not even water....seemed like plenty of time for at least a limited beverage service.

Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just got off a relatively smooth flight from ORD-CLT and there was no service in Y...not even water....seemed like plenty of time for at least a limited beverage service.

That's far from a short flight. File a complaint with AA and specifically state that the flight attendants refused to provide beverage service in economy.
enviroian, AAway, GNRMatt and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

We flew CLT-ORD in June in F and had PDBs, drinks in flight and 2 rounds of snack basket (Maui Monk pretzels ftw!), so plenty of time.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Perdita
We flew CLT-ORD in June in F and had PDBs, drinks in flight and 2 rounds of snack basket (Maui Monk pretzels ftw!), so plenty of time.
Yeah I watched from row 8 while F got beverages and the snack basket...it was weird to be honest and towards the end of the flight one of the F FAs looked towards the back of the plane with a strange look on his face...it's like the Y FAs literally disappeared.
​​​
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:19 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have had this laziness passed off as safety. I am here to tell you that on a flight OF 599 miles, you would with my airline get a meal (not cheap and nasty bags of wheat and fat) and drinks. Unless the Captain genuinely closed the service which was so rare yjsy I can remember the couple of times in many years. you got on with the service as that was one of the reasons that you took a paycheck home each month. Anyone who refused would be disciplined and if this was not the first time they could be dismissed. It seems that peope are afraid that the police would meet the flight. Just get their names and their employee number - that usually galvanises them,
bryanb likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have had this laziness passed off as safety. I am here to tell you that on a flight OF 599 miles, you would with my airline get a meal (not cheap and nasty bags of wheat and fat) and drinks. Unless the Captain genuinely closed the service which was so rare yjsy I can remember the couple of times in many years. you got on with the service as that was one of the reasons that you took a paycheck home each month. Anyone who refused would be disciplined and if this was not the first time they could be dismissed. It seems that peope are afraid that the police would meet the flight. Just get their names and their employee number - that usually galvanises them,
Unfortunately the previous post is the new norm. At least until AA works up the courage to break the FA union.
MIAFlyer and PUCCI GALORE like this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 5, 2023 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Unfortunately the previous post is the new norm. At least until AA works up the courage to break the FA union.
Primarily there for your safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.