Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

A long ago data point, CSG ATL, granted on ASA or DL, but in both cases, EMB-120 or DC-9, full beverage service, accomplished on the EMB-120 by 1 FA. Granted they took the order on the ground, and it was a sprint, but they served everyone. This is an 83 mile route, sometimes under 20 minutes in the air.

Second the MD-80 full service on ORD-DTW, but the CRJ recently has repeatedly been, due to the short flight no service.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
It's water/OJ on DFW-AUS in Y, and it has been for a long while. J gets full service plus the snack tray.

On occasion I'm on this route late on Friday nights, and as an EXP I've been shot down with extreme prejudice when trying to get a complimentary alcoholic beverage in Y. The most typical response is "Y is not catered". I've flown the route over 100 times since the last "thank you for being an EXP member" comment from an FA. I don't particularly care, but it's interesting that the abbreviated beverage service seems to bleed over into other aspects of the experience.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by jljones78
It's water/OJ on DFW-AUS in Y, and it has been for a long while. J gets full service plus the snack tray.

On occasion I'm on this route late on Friday nights, and as an EXP I've been shot down with extreme prejudice when trying to get a complimentary alcoholic beverage in Y. The most typical response is "Y is not catered". I've flown the route over 100 times since the last "thank you for being an EXP member" comment from an FA. I don't particularly care, but it's interesting that the abbreviated beverage service seems to bleed over into other aspects of the experience.
imagine if everyone in Y on A321 orders alcoholic drink or soda. No way they can serve everyone in such a short time.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
For short flights, I wouldn't even mind if they did what I have experienced on RJA between Amman and Tel Aviv (68 miles according to gcmap.com)
You select a juice box upon boarding.......
One interesting award -
LAS-LAX (overnight stop to visit daughter)-RDU (overnight stop to visit sister)-LHR-AMM-TLV (No available seats on LHR-TLV)
After a free shower at BA in LHR, I didn't feel like spending the $15 RJA charges for a shower at their AMM lounge
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
Originally Posted by gateH15

imagine if everyone in Y on A321 orders alcoholic drink or soda. No way they can serve everyone in such a short time.
I don't have to imagine it, they used to run a full beverage service in Y on the 738s on the route. The 321 is 21 extra seats.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gateH15

I've flown LH 321's between LHR and FRA--full service.

over here it's pure LAZINESS.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks to those who commented. On the one hand, I agree it's a short flight and it can be a struggle to get through all of Main Cabin in the allotted time. However, on the other hand, they used to do it - both LAS - LAX, and LAS - PHX. Likewise, when in the UK, BA would manage it on very sort sectors such as LHR - MAN, and you'd often see a single FA manage a full beverage run on flights such as LAX - FAT etc. If the 250 mile threshold for a full beverage service can't be met then AA needs to stop advertising this as part of the in-flight service and state categorically what it will be instead. I will follow-up in due course once I have had a reply from Customer Relations.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've flown LH 321's between LHR and FRA--full service.

over here it's pure LAZINESS.
Years ago (around 2008 I think), I was an on LH A300 for MUC-FRA. It is similar size to an A330, and the flight was maybe 45 minutes. They did a full beverage service.

As recently as 2 years ago, I've had full beverage service on AUS-DFW, on A321's. Sometime last year they started doing the, "express," service, or whatever they call it.

There were similar growing pains with beverage service after the HP-US merger. Typically if the flight had an HP crew they did the full service, while one time I distinctly being on an A321 PHX-LAS, very light load, and the US crew did the announcement, "due to the short duration of the flight..."
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Sometime last year they started doing the, "express," service
Yep.

"due to the short duration of this flight....."

AKA

"due to the fact we are lazy and could easily provide you drinks we prefer to chat with other flight attendants".
AANYC1981 and SirToby like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yep.

"due to the short duration of this flight....."

AKA

"due to the fact we are lazy and could easily provide you drinks we prefer to chat with other flight attendants".
Yep....FA's on BOS-JFK-BOS used to do this: First Class cart service and then went back to YC with cart while the YC cart started from the back until they met in the middle. This is all laziness in the vein of "safety" and "turbulence" and AA is going along with it to appease the FAs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My experience with beverage service on short flights in my near 20 years flying with AA (and LAA) has been all over the map. It seems to have actually gotten better albeit beverage service is now a small bottle of water for Y. That's ok for me, if I really need a drink I'll get one in the AC and sans AC I'll buy one in the airport. Since I'm cheap and not a drunk I never pay airport prices for a drink when there is no AC. Of course if I'm F then its a different story. However, I remember pre merger F on a short flight like MIA/TPA/MCO or DFW/AUS often saw no service in the air.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by autdi
A long ago data point, CSG ATL, granted on ASA or DL, but in both cases, EMB-120 or DC-9, full beverage service, accomplished on the EMB-120 by 1 FA. Granted they took the order on the ground, and it was a sprint, but they served everyone. This is an 83 mile route, sometimes under 20 minutes in the air.
I flew ATL-CSG-ATL this month on CRJ-200s. They no longer do a beverage service.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:12 pm

Please remember you can only serve what you’re catered with. On those express beverage services they are catered with carts full of mini water bottles and OJ. Sometimes they will have a skeleton cart with a few sodas on them but for the majority of them it’s just the express service with enough catered for the round trip. 😊
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GalleyWench1
Please remember you can only serve what you’re catered with. On those express beverage services they are catered with carts full of mini water bottles and OJ. Sometimes they will have a skeleton cart with a few sodas on them but for the majority of them it’s just the express service with enough catered for the round trip. 😊
Are you galleywench’s daughter?

Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:33 pm

Are you galleywench’s daughter?

My daughters pursued other occupations...at the insistence of their mama 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.