Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA/MCO will most certainly be the Express Service. I find AA pretty good at doing a 2nd service on 3 hour plus flights (or I think the standard is 1,500 miles plus). The exception would be redeyes and flights arriving after midnight like the last MIA/SFO flight arriving around 1AM.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:10 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
In general, I find AS and UA to be better on with their Y beverage runs on mid-con and trans-con flights than AA. Can't speak for DL.

I have flown 5 separate round-trips this past year on IAD-California runs on UA, and UA always offered two formal drink runs, a coffee/tea/juice run during BOB pick-up, and then FAs walked through the cabin every 20-30 minutes or so with tray drinks.

AS-wise, I was shocked to see 4 separate drink runs on DCA-SEA this past year, in addition to FAs walking through the aisles asking if anyone needed anything during the flight.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
MIA/MCO will most certainly be the Express Service. I find AA pretty good at doing a 2nd service on 3 hour plus flights (or I think the standard is 1,500 miles plus). The exception would be redeyes and flights arriving after midnight like the last MIA/SFO flight arriving around 1AM.
Is this new? Never has there been any service on MIA-MCO in Y, only F.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Is this new? Never has there been any service on MIA-MCO in Y, only F.
Don’t they always pass OJ and water bottles in Y on short mainline flights like LAS-LAX etc?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
Don’t they always pass OJ and water bottles in Y on short mainline flights like LAS-LAX etc?
LAX-LAS is 236 miles while MIA-MCO is 192 miles, wasn't the cut off at 200 miles or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’ve had no FC service whatsoever due to “turbulence” on LAS-LAX

No Wx either
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
LAX-LAS is 236 miles while MIA-MCO is 192 miles, wasn't the cut off at 200 miles or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe it’s 250 miles. Whether FAs actually do the Express Beverage Service is questionable.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I believe it’s 250 miles. Whether FAs actually do the Express Beverage Service is questionable.
250 sounds more like it, on MIA-MCO I've always had F service but in Y the FA's are yapping in the galley (in Spanish).
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLT
Is it just me or do the OJ cuplets and mini water bottle service really only make an appearance on DFW/LAX L-AA routes that have competition from WN?
I think it's just you. They do them on RDU-CLT and RDU-DCA too.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
On a recent MCO-MIA flight, they made no announcement about a beverage service in Y at all, and didn't do one. The 2 FAs up front were asking each other why they weren't doing a service in back, and neither knew. Part way through the J drink service, one of them said they were at least going to go do the MCE drinks, which they did, running back up to J to get the requested drinks (which were not limited to water and OJ).
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
On a recent MCO-MIA flight, they made no announcement about a beverage service in Y at all, and didn't do one. The 2 FAs up front were asking each other why they weren't doing a service in back, and neither knew. Part way through the J drink service, one of them said they were at least going to go do the MCE drinks, which they did, running back up to J to get the requested drinks (which were not limited to water and OJ).
Nice touch for those in MCE, did you see rest of Y get anything?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Nice touch for those in MCE, did you see rest of Y get anything?
I do not believe that they did. Definitely not from the 2 FAs up front.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Reviving this thread for 2023 question.

Took a flight from SNA-PHX (338 miles, ~55 minute flight time). I was in MCE but there was no beverage/snack service at all for the Main Cabin. Not even pre-poured water. Didn’t see the FAs at all between the safety briefing and landing. Otherwise it was a perfectly pleasant trip.

Calm skies for nearly all of the flight until descent, and no announcement saying there would not be service. (Front of cabin was getting pre-departure water cups and, I presume, standard service).

Is this common for short flights in 2023? Even Southwest did a full cabin service on a similar length trip that I took last month. It’s not a huge deal other than my flight companions being new to AA and maybe not getting the full service.

ETA: We did, however, get a full spiel about how many customers had been asking about the AAdvantage Aviator card, which can earn you a free round trip to Hawaii, and that only a limited number of applications were available.
enviroian and EXP100 like this.

Last edited by bryanb; Feb 17, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bryanb

Took a flight from SNA-PHX (338 miles, ~55 minute flight time). I was in MCE but there was no beverage/snack service at all for the Main Cabin. Not even pre-poured water. Didn’t see the FAs at all between the safety briefing and landing. Otherwise it was a perfectly pleasant trip.
Is this common for short flights in 2023? Even Southwest did a full cabin service on a similar length trip that I took last month. It’s not a huge deal other than my flight companions being new to AA and maybe not getting the full service.
No, it isn't. This sounds like lAAzy flight attendants. Or they were occupied with some safety-critical task ;-)

Unrelated, but while I am here -- I recently flew SAT-DFW in FC and we were told the flight was too short to do a FC beverage service in the air. I have flown that route hundreds of times and this is total BS. The pros know you can get 2 rounds in
enviroian and AAway like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bryanb
Reviving this thread for 2023 question.

Calm skies for nearly all of the flight until descent, and no announcement saying there would not be service. (Front of cabin was getting pre-departure water cups and, I presume, standard service).

ETA: We did, however, get a full spiel about how many customers had been asking about the AAdvantage Aviator card, which can earn you a free round trip to Hawaii, and that only a limited number of applications were available.
Did the flight attendant announce that there would be no service? If not I would have been laying on that call button.
MIAFlyer and bryanb like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.