Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship Lounges completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship First Class and Flagship Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Isn't the live cooking staion at ORD on the left-hand side of the back wall (as you look at it) next to a service door? I thought I saw a woman making omlets there a few weeks ago in the morning before the am flight to LHR.
Yes. I don't know whether it has a schedule but I have seen it both in action and unoccupied when I have been through, though I haven't logged the times!
Spanish likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Can I access the MIA flagship as a BA gold at about 9pm the night before a 10am flight to SJU the next day,I will be incoming from a DUB CLT MIA connecting flight but will have my SJU boarding pass at that stage
what kind of food will be available at that time and what time does it close?
Thank you
Old May 2, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Earthman
Can I access the MIA flagship as a BA gold at about 9pm the night before a 10am flight to SJU the next day,I will be incoming from a DUB CLT MIA connecting flight but will have my SJU boarding pass at that stage
Thank you
Most likely yes. Look just above starting with posts 1498 where basically the exact same question was recently asked.
Earthman likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Most likely yes. Look just above starting with posts 1498 where basically the exact same question was recently asked.
Thanks,just saw those
The SJU flight is on a seperate PNR,I forgot to add that,Will that matter?
Old May 2, 2024, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks,just saw those
As a BA gold, no it won't matter.
Earthman, Global321 and TWA884 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thank you
Thanks,just saw those

Zero issues:

Get access if youre departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).
Earthman and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 7:58 am

We are considering booking the following flight on American: LGA -> MIA -> SCL (last is Santiago Chile). We would be in first class from LGA->MIA and business class from MIA->SCL. Obviously, we have access to the lounge in MIA, but what about at LGA? I have looked on the AA website, and it does not mention lounge access for a domestic flight connecting to an international flight. For example, the Delta website is totally clear on this point: "Customer traveling on Delta One on an international flight or on a domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta One flight [has lounge access]." We do not have any special frequent flyer status with AA nor a special credit card.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Torquer
We are considering booking the following flight on American: LGA -> MIA -> SCL (last is Santiago Chile). We would be in first class from LGA->MIA and business class from MIA->SCL. Obviously, we have access to the lounge in MIA, but what about at LGA? I have looked on the AA website, and it does not mention lounge access for a domestic flight connecting to an international flight. For example, the Delta website is totally clear on this point: "Customer traveling on Delta One on an international flight or on a domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta One flight [has lounge access]." We do not have any special frequent flyer status with AA nor a special credit card.
Yes, you will have access to the Admiral's Club in LGA and the Flagship Lounge in MIA.

Not sure how much clearer this can be (from AA.com):

"Get access if you’re traveling in First or Business on a qualifying same-day international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld airline or marketed by Aer Lingus* and operated by American.**"

Obviously, if you are checked in and have boarding passes for the itinerary you have stated, then by definition you have a same day international flight. Thus you have access.

Regards
Old May 12, 2024, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Yes, you will have access to the Admiral's Club in LGA and the Flagship Lounge in MIA.

Not sure how much clearer this can be (from AA.com):

"Get access if youre traveling in First or Business on a qualifying same-day international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld airline or marketed by Aer Lingus* and operated by American.**"

Obviously, if you are checked in and have boarding passes for the itinerary you have stated, then by definition you have a same day international flight. Thus you have access.

Regards
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, but it is not at all obvious to me, since the domestic leg itself, is not an international flight. I interpreted the "same day" meaning that you couldn't enter the lounge the day before your international flight, and the "domestic flight" it mentions are just certain cross-country flights if you read further. Frankly, I can't see how the statement you quoted, and I studied carefully before posting, could cover the case I am talking about. So I am more interested to hear from people with personal experience who flew on a similar ticket, whether we would or would not have lounge access before the domestic segment.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, but it is not at all obvious to me, since the domestic leg itself, is not an international flight. I interpreted the "same day" meaning that you couldn't enter the lounge the day before your international flight, and the "domestic flight" it mentions are just certain cross-country flights if you read further. Frankly, I can't see how the statement you quoted, and I studied carefully before posting, could cover the case I am talking about. So I am more interested to hear from people with personal experience who flew on a similar ticket, whether we would or would not have lounge access before the domestic segment.
I have plenty of experience. I have been accessing AA lounges, on exactly these type of flights, numerous times per year, for 25+ years. You will have access on this itinerary, if its as you described. If you have a PNR with a same day international flight you have access all along the way.

Now, the piece of information you did not share in your initial question which is relevant to the answer, is if your domestic leg is the day before, but you didn't say that in your post, so I chose not to muddy the waters in my answer, since most folks have their flights all on the same day. If the LGA-MIA segment is the day before your MIA-SCL segment, it can get into a bit of a "gray" area depending on the time of day and somewhat to the lounge attendants discretion. Technically, if the domestic segment is the day before then yes, you may be denied access at LGA because, obviously, you do not have a "same day international segment" in that case (you would, of course, have access in MIA going to SCL). If the international segment is within 24 hours the lounge attendant in LGA may let you in, but you probably should plan for not getting in and then be pleasantly surprised if they allow access.

I'm not sure how to help you build confidence in the statement I quoted, but I can assure you that is how it works. If you have a "same day international flight," (and that is the key, same day) you have access all along the way. If you have a boarding pass in hand for an international flight then that is the criteria. They actually don't even have to be on the same reservation. For example, if you had separately purchased ticket for LGA-MIA, you just show your boarding pass for MIA-SCL at the LGA Admiral's Club and you will be allowed entry (again, assuming same day).

There are still more in's and out's to this (i.e. AA definition of "international," etc.) but again, I'm going to avoid muddying the waters and just answer the question you asked, rather than broadening the scope to all scenarios.

Regards
TWA884 likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
If it makes you feel better, I can also confirm scubadu is 100% correct in his posts. Also stating from many years of experience with the same situation.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:57 am

Thanks scubadu and Madison Guy for confirming from your personal experience. BTW, in our case the domestic flight and international flights are indeed the same day.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
My hunch is that the statement is specific to AA elites or those on qualifying flights. Per the OW lounge finder page (underline is mine):

I’d give it a go and see what happens. Last week was the second time in ~20 visits to the FL between non-AA OWS/E where I was told this (the other being the LAX OW business lounge).
'My hunch is that the statement is specific to AA elites' - I don't get this reasoning, AA Elites don't get any Lounge access privilege per status alone (save for CK), for me this is all that counts and I have the webpage tab always in my phone (not that I ever had to show it yet): 'Get access if you’re departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).'

'I’d give it a go and see what happens. Last week was the second time in ~20 visits to the FL between non-AA OWS/E where I was told this (the other being the LAX OW business lounge)' - This is exactly my case, always access it as non-AA OWS/E at all of the locations (mainly at ORD), on arrival, without any issue, but haven't been since March this year. It scares me a bit now that you say that the very same agent at ORD that let you in a week ago now denies entry. In my case I'd stand my ground showing the above mentioned paragraph from the AA website

Last edited by Venezuela-Miami; May 12, 2024 at 11:19 am
Old May 12, 2024, 11:45 am

Thanks scubadu and Madison Guy for confirming from your personal experience. BTW, in our case the domestic flight and international flights are indeed the same day.
Then you will be fine. Just make sure to have your MIA-SCL boarding pass out when you arrive at the Admiral's Club in LGA. That is the one the attendant will need to scan in order to provide access. If you show the LGA-MIA pass they'll get confused and tell you don't have access.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
Old May 12, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
'My hunch is that the statement is specific to AA elites' - I don't get this reasoning, AA Elites don't get any Lounge access privilege per status alone (save for CK), for me this is all that counts and I have the webpage tab always in my phone (not that I ever had to show it yet): 'Get access if youre departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).'

'Id give it a go and see what happens. Last week was the second time in ~20 visits to the FL between non-AA OWS/E where I was told this (the other being the LAX OW business lounge)' - This is exactly my case, always access it as non-AA OWS/E at all of the locations (mainly at ORD), on arrival, without any issue, but haven't been since March this year. It scares me a bit now that you say that the very same agent at ORD that let you in a week ago now denies entry. In my case I'd stand my ground showing the above mentioned paragraph from the AA website
My point on AA elites is for those that already qualify on status (e.g., an EP in Y on a qualifying route).

From the OW Lounge site:

Access is available on the day of travel (or before 06:00am the following day), at the airport from which the oneworld flight on which the eligible customer is travelling departs.
The agents would likely point to this clause. Having said that, theres clearly a written contradiction so it comes down to how much youre willing to engage on the matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.