Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship Lounges completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship First Class and Flagship Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old May 12, 2024, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
'My hunch is that the statement is specific to AA elites' - I don't get this reasoning, AA Elites don't get any Lounge access privilege per status alone (save for CK)...
That is inaccurate.

AAdvantage members with Platinum status or higher get access to the Flagship Lounges when travelling in any cabin on international long-haul flights and to the Admirals Clubs when traveling in any cabin on international short-haul flights.

Last edited by TWA884; May 12, 2024 at 3:15 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 12, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by TWA884
That is inaccurate.

AAdvantage members with Platinum status or higher get access to the Flagship Lounges when travelling in any cabin on international long-haul flights and to the Admirals Clubs when traveling in any cabin on international short-haul flights.
The access isn't due to status alone, it's status + the intl route component.

Non-US airline OWE/OWS status (my case) grants access in any flight.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Torquer
Thanks scubadu and Madison Guy for confirming from your personal experience. BTW, in our case the domestic flight and international flights are indeed the same day.
As others have pointed out, if that is the case, then yes you will have access to the American Airlines or OneWorld lounge as the case may be since this is a flight from New York to Santiago connecting in Miami. That LGA to MIA is a domestic segment will not have any bearing since your itinerary is itinerary and that is considered an international flight both in the eyes of AA and the law (in terms of Montreal Convention).

'My hunch is that the statement is specific to AA elites' - I don't get this reasoning, AA Elites don't get any Lounge access privilege per status alone (save for CK), for me this is all that counts and I have the webpage tab always in my phone (not that I ever had to show it yet): 'Get access if youre departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).'
AA Elites do get lounge access based on status alone. However, there are additional rules for them. Namely, they need to be travelling on an international itinerary going somewhere other than North America (except for Mexico City) to be eligible for access. Per the OneWorld site:
American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for access to oneworld member airline lounge when travelling solely on North American flights between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
Specifically for domestic flights they also state:
American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on domestic U.S. flights (some exceptions apply).
Reading this term that means if you are travelling from Boise to Seattle, no you won't have access. But if you are flying from Boise to Brussels, Belgium or Portland to Perth, Australia, then yes you'll have access on those domestic flights since you are not travelling solely on domestic U.S. flights.

'Id give it a go and see what happens. Last week was the second time in ~20 visits to the FL between non-AA OWS/E where I was told this (the other being the LAX OW business lounge)' - This is exactly my case, always access it as non-AA OWS/E at all of the locations (mainly at ORD), on arrival, without any issue, but haven't been since March this year. It scares me a bit now that you say that the very same agent at ORD that let you in a week ago now denies entry. In my case I'd stand my ground showing the above mentioned paragraph from the AA website
My experience as a Qantas OneWorld Sapphire is that I haven't had any issues accessing American lounges on departure, arrival or connection (did that about a dozen times when I was in the US back in October). Most of those flights were solely domestic US. Similar thing for Alaska (except for the arrival bit as that's not allowed). Heck, once I had a late night flight from Seattle to LAX on Alaska and was able to access the Flagship lounge on arrival, no problems whatsoever.

Non-US airline OWE/OWS status (my case) grants access in any flight.
That is mostly true. Lounges can and do limit access for made up reasons as well. For instance, I was refused entry to the British Airways lounge at Seattle as I wasn't on an international flight despite me being a Qantas Gold (OneWorld Sapphire).
Old May 13, 2024, 3:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Trying to understand the rules. A few days ago, I was arriving to ORD on a domestic AA coach award and accessed the flagship lounge on arrival using BA gold / OWE. I had thought that access on arrival was a OneWorld policy, but I was mistaken.

So was it AA that allowed the entry? BA, since they were paying for it? Or the combination of both?
Old May 13, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
When you fly AA domestic, as OWE or OWS you are allowed into FL. Regardless of class.

LcS
Tack likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Trying to understand the rules. A few days ago, I was arriving to ORD on a domestic AA coach award and accessed the flagship lounge on arrival using BA gold / OWE. I had thought that access on arrival was a OneWorld policy, but I was mistaken.

So was it AA that allowed the entry? BA, since they were paying for it? Or the combination of both?
You are correct that oneworld lounge access rules do not allow access on arrival. You must have a departing oneworld flight. However AA lounges typically allow access on arrival also; This is AA allowing the entry.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are correct that oneworld lounge access rules do not allow access on arrival. You must have a departing oneworld flight. However AA lounges typically allow access on arrival also; This is AA allowing the entry.
Gotcha. Out of curiosity, under what circumstances do AA lounges not allow access on arrival (assuming you stay airside or can get back to airside)?
Old May 20, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I think I have FL access on arrival for my situation but just want to check with the brains trust here. Flying San Antonio to Dallas early evening and then have a 14 hour layover and an early morning flight to Atlanta the next day all on one ticket. I am OW Saphhire through Qantas. I have booked overnight accomodation outside the airport but assuming that as I will have my luggage checked through I will be able to access the lounge in Dallas on arrival. TIA

Last edited by wtcmor; May 20, 2024 at 4:23 pm
Old May 20, 2024, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by wtcmor
I think I have FL access on arrival for my situation but just want to check with the brains trust here. Flying San Antonio to Dallas early evening and then have a 14 hour layover and an early morning flight to Atlanta the next day all on one ticket. I am OW Saphhire through Qantas. I have booked overnight accomodation outside the airport but assuming that as I will have my luggage checked through I will be able to access the lounge in Dallas on arrival. TIA
As OW Sapphire with Qantas, yes.

Get access if you’re departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin)
Old May 26, 2024, 6:45 pm

Flagship lounge access exec plat

I'm AA exec plat, I've fly Cathay pacific PE to HKG from ORD every other month or so. I know I get lounge access if I layover in lax , but I'm flying out on a Cathay plane. The domestic part of the flight is on a AA route. My question is since I buy the tickets from Cathay, and it's an international route, but the ORD to LAX segment is on AA, am I entitled to flagship access at ORD since the ORD is part of an international itinerary? Thanks
Old May 26, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Yes. You can access the ORD FL on arrival and departure in any class of service, even Y, due to your EXP (oneworld emerald) status, when flying Cathay or any oneworld airline on the longhaul segment
Antarius likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tyler2675
I'm AA exec plat, I've fly Cathay pacific PE to HKG from ORD every other month or so. I know I get lounge access if I layover in lax , but I'm flying out on a Cathay plane. The domestic part of the flight is on a AA route. My question is since I buy the tickets from Cathay, and it's an international route, but the ORD to LAX segment is on AA, am I entitled to flagship access at ORD since the ORD is part of an international itinerary? Thanks
Yes. From AA.com: Get access if youre departing, arriving or connecting to any same-day flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).*^
Old May 26, 2024, 11:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with Flagship Lounge access thread. Thanks. / Moderator
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by wtcmor
AA doesnt usually check through luggage for overnight domestic connections >12 hours. Regardless, you will have access on arrival but may have to travel back from Terminal D (FL) to the terminal you arrived at to retrieve your bags for the night.
Old May 27, 2024, 2:56 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Thanks changed flight to be 11 hour connection so hopefully that will be ok. For such a short layover really don't want the hassle of re-checking in the next morning

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.