Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old May 22, 2022, 11:45 pm

JFK lounge access on arrival

Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I'll be on DEL-JFK in July, in J (Flagship service). My flight gets in at 6:50 am, and based on my experience, the India flights arrive early. I'm staying in New York but my hotel will not of course be ready. Can I access the Flagship lounge on arrival? Would love to have a shower and eat breakfast before heading into the city.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork
Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I'll be on DEL-JFK in July, in J (Flagship service). My flight gets in at 6:50 am, and based on my experience, the India flights arrive early. I'm staying in New York but my hotel will not of course be ready. Can I access the Flagship lounge on arrival? Would love to have a shower and eat breakfast before heading into the city.

Thanks!
Your issue how will you get to the FL as you dont have an onward flight. If you had an onward flight so that you can get airside then yes for sure you have access to FL. Tbh the breakfast isnt much at all and you could get such better food in the city. The shower though I understand totally but be advised the water is not hot. Its at the highest setting maybe somewhere between warm & barely hot. Its not hot like any good shower should be. LAX FL is totally different and gets hot but not JFK.

Just a couple other ideas. 1) TWA hotel has hot showers (and a great fitness center) and its only $25 to use.. I've hit TWA the last 3 times I have passed by. 2) If the hotel you will be staying at has a Spa of any kind or even a gym that has showers they will give you a key to access that even if your room is not ready.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Related to this, I booked SJC-LAX-MIA and back for next weekend. I booked this a while back, and both LAX-MIA (77W) and MIA-LAX (772) were Flagship at the time. Fast forward to recently and LAX-MIA is still 77W, but LAX-MIA now has no 77X Flagship options on our return date.

Since this was sold at Flagship, is there an argument for Flagship lounge access in MIA and LAX even though it is no longer Flagship? I asked at the DFW FL this past weekend and the agent indicated that it may be coded as such in the BP and it may not. If not, any recourse?

Really an academic argument for us, specifically, since we have BA Silver (Sapphire) status and get FL access on all domestic flights. But this is more a curiosity question as to how they handle this when one purchases Flagship and the change is made by AA.

Cheers.
OK, back to answer my own question now that the trip is done. The answer, as I had expected, is No. One does not get FL access even if Flagship was purchased in the case where AA has removed Flagship service on that date/route. If it's not coded in the BP, it doesn't exist.

I called Aadvantage Customer Service to register displeasure and request some sort of change. The agent was great. First he started to look into what he could offer to me, but I declined after telling him that we got access anyway via BA status. I just wanted this escalated to see how this could be changed to be more fair to those who purchase Flagship. The lie-flat seat is lost, and that's bad enough. This can/should be fixed.

he agreed and said that this was his second FL-related comment within a week. He spoke with his supervisor and was going to escalate this to see what could be done.

I don't expect this to change, but who knows. Just wanted to let them know that issue, and come back here to add this info.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Citi Exec, Amex Plat- Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Any update on when FL will open at PHL?
Spanish likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by gerald5
LAX-MIA is no longer marketed as Flagship, but I can confirm access to both the LAX and MIA lounges were granted on a 777 two-class flight when flying in First. So the website language is inconsistent.
And who knows if this unwritten rule will be used consistently, and not just get eliminated at some point.

they really bollyxed up revenue management on this route, J booked solid for days. How many folks will be happy at $1k one way fares on the 321 torture tube? The only 3 class these days is a redeye.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
And who knows if this unwritten rule will be used consistently, and not just get eliminated at some point.

they really bollyxed up revenue management on this route, J booked solid for days. How many folks will be happy at $1k one way fares on the 321 torture tube? The only 3 class these days is a redeye.
Agreed totally. So sick of the inconsistencies on this route.

Btw, looks like a 772 has been added back. I believe 1pm departure from LA.

I' m on the red eye very soon. Looking forward to 2J though. No issues per say with the 321T but enjoy this so much more, except for the FA's. The 321T FF FA is always amazing in my experience and the ones on the 77W F LAx/MIA I dont quite get why but they never are anything special.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Agreed totally. So sick of the inconsistencies on this route.

Btw, looks like a 772 has been added back. I believe 1pm departure from LA.

I' m on the red eye very soon. Looking forward to 2J though. No issues per say with the 321T but enjoy this so much more, except for the FA's. The 321T FF FA is always amazing in my experience and the ones on the 77W F LAx/MIA I dont quite get why but they never are anything special.
i bring my own cushion for the A321T and my back still hurts afterwards.

luckily the 772 I’ll be on has the PE seats, I’d rather have those than F on the 321T. My leg length is just right for the footrest.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
i bring my own cushion for the A321T and my back still hurts afterwards.

luckily the 772 I’ll be on has the PE seats, I’d rather have those than F on the 321T. My leg length is just right for the footrest.
Ahhh I will be using a pillow in 2 weeks on the return trip in Mint. That seat messes up my back every time. And it doesnt recline, it just l lowers you down and you go forward. It puts you too low and too close to the IFE. Its like DL One Suites. Found $499 one way Mint and its been a few years so I will try it again 321T never has hurt my back, find it moderately comfy just nowhere near as private as the 77W F and quite a tight fit getting in and out.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:05 am

I have Sapphire One World status with Royal Air Maroc so I attempted to enter a Flagship Lounge and the CSR told me she never heard of RAM and needed a card to prove my status. I told her I wasn't issued a card and asked if she could lookup my status. She asks me to stand to the side so she can help others. I ask again if she can help me. She calls over her manager and asks about RAM. Her manager says "OH I'm VERY familiar (with Royal Air Maroc)" and looks at me like I'm a wild pig trying to eat her vegetable garden. She says I can't enter because I need a card and she can't confirm my status without it, I tell her I don't have a card and ask if she can look up my status (because that's what they did at the Admiral's Club), she finally relents and looks up my status and explains she needed to confirm my status (while not wanting to look up my status). YMMV but I wasn't treated very well and was to a degree publicly embarrassed as if I was a thief, instead of a legitimate holder of Oneworld status, albeit with RAM which they don't seem to respect and begrudgingly recognize.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
I have Sapphire One World status with Royal Air Maroc so I attempted to enter a Flagship Lounge and the CSR told me she never heard of RAM and needed a card to prove my status. I told her I wasn't issued a card and asked if she could lookup my status. She asks me to stand to the side so she can help others. I ask again if she can help me. She calls over her manager and asks about RAM. Her manager says "OH I'm VERY familiar (with Royal Air Maroc)" and looks at me like I'm a wild pig trying to eat her vegetable garden. She says I can't enter because I need a card and she can't confirm my status without it, I tell her I don't have a card and ask if she can look up my status (because that's what they did at the Admiral's Club), she finally relents and looks up my status and explains she needed to confirm my status (while not wanting to look up my status). YMMV but I wasn't treated very well and was to a degree publicly embarrassed as if I was a thief, instead of a legitimate holder of Oneworld status, albeit with RAM which they don't seem to respect and begrudgingly recognize.
Which FL is this?
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
Which FL is this?
ORD
Old May 29, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
DId they eventually let you in after looking up your status?
Old May 29, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
DId they eventually let you in after looking up your status?
They did, after embarrassing me and making me feel like I was vagrant wandering off the street. They really did NOT want to let me in, just kept saying no while I politely persisted 😔
Old May 29, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
They did, after embarrassing me and making me feel like I was vagrant wandering off the street. They really did NOT want to let me in, just kept saying no while I politely persisted 😔
I was there last month using RAM status. It took them over 10 mins to figure out, but I could enter to the lounge. One of the CSRs was a bit rude.
cmd320 and FlyingFromNY like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
I was there last month using RAM status. It took them over 10 mins to figure out, but I could enter to the lounge. One of the CSRs was a bit rude.
Rudeness is so unnecessary. I'm sorry that happened to you.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.