Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Arrow Upgrade Clearing Chances

Hi!
I’ll be flying on January 6th from EZE to MIA on flight AA934. Considering I’m an AAdvantage platinum member an that of the 36 seats on business class, 11 are left. Do you think my upgrade (with miles+copay) will clear? If so, do you think it’ll be soon?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lucaspencha
Hi!
I’ll be flying on January 6th from EZE to MIA on flight AA934. Considering I’m an AAdvantage platinum member an that of the 36 seats on business class, 11 are left. Do you think my upgrade (with miles+copay) will clear? If so, do you think it’ll be soon?
I think one can be confident it won't clear till the last minute.

I'm to sure why you think there are 11 seats left - there are 7+ available for sale and 19 seats unassigned. But Y is well sold and so it all depends who is front of you for upgrades.

My sense is that there will be a few lucky upgraders on this flight, but there is no way to know if you'll be high enough up the list.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:41 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing upgrade chances thread. Thanks. /Moderator

And welcom to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, lucaspencha!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hi!
One thing you need to remember is it all depends at check in, when people check and ask to be placed on the upgrade list. As I wrote up thread when we left PHX to PRD we were 1-2 on the upgrade list, 3hr 24 minutes later we were 6-8 on the upgrade list...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm sitting in 15F on 2335 waiting to de-ice. I was 7 out of 40 on the upgrade list with a YTD EQD spend at $20K. I didn't realize how low that must be until I saw that I'm 7th. This EQD ranking for upgrades must be reaking havoc for lower spend EXP's let alone plat plus, platinums and golds. The EQD ranking priority has pretty much rendered all those 500 miler certs useless.
The EQD ranking doesn't really affect Plat Pro, Plats or Golds as it doesn't change the number of EXPs in front of them.

And your being 7th doesn't mean everyone in front of you had higher EQDs as they could have been using a higher status instrument (SWU for example).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:24 am

I still have my 4 SWU to spent and at the same time I need EQM. Looking for some long-haul flights this year where I could use my SWU on, but both AA.com and ExpertFlyer show me almost on every flight 0 C-Fare available. Is that normal, do you have to book SWU fares months in advance?

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:20 am

Arrow

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
One thing you need to remember is it all depends at check in, when people check and ask to be placed on the upgrade list. As I wrote up thread when we left PHX to PRD we were 1-2 on the upgrade list, 3hr 24 minutes later we were 6-8 on the upgrade list...
I just checked with an AA phone rep, and now there are 17 available seats in Business (of 36). How much time in advance do you think it will clear if it does?

I don't think many argentineans hold status, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Time of check-in has no bearing on your ultimate place in the queue. If someone with higher status and/or EQDs checks in after you, they will take their place above you in the list and you will move down.

I just checked with an AA phone rep, and now there are 17 available seats in Business (of 36). How much time in advance do you think it will clear if it does?

I don't think many argentineans hold status, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
You are also competing against Americans and other non-Argentines.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by ckx2
I was 6 out of 52 on HKG-LAX recently
As a CK? Wow! As a very low spend EXP, I'm glad my SWUs cleared at booking and soon after for a trip to HKG in December, because I'd have no chance at the gate
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This is no longer true.

1. Status (CK > EXP > PP > PLT > GLD)
2. Type of upgrade (SWU/Miles+Copay > 500 mile upgrades) - Not relevant for intl travel
3. Rolling 12 month EQD

I booked a flight late last night for 2 hours from now. Basically 14 hours before departure. Because I am EXP and have a decently high EQD, I jumped to the top of the list. Under the old system, I'd be at the bottom of all EXPs on the list.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
As a CK? Wow! As a very low spend EXP, I'm glad my SWUs cleared at booking and soon after for a trip to HKG in December, because I'd have no chance at the gate
HKG is big for business. Certain days are murder on the upgrade list (similar to LHR). That said if you fly in the holiday season or on a Tuesday, it usually isn't bad.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is no longer true.

1. Status (CK > EXP > PP > PLT > GLD)
2. Type of upgrade (SWU/Miles+Copay > 500 mile upgrades) - Not relevant for intl travel
3. Rolling 12 month EQD

I booked a flight late last night for 2 hours from now. Basically 14 hours before departure. Because I am EXP and have a decently high EQD, I jumped to the top of the list. Under the old system, I'd be at the bottom of all EXPs on the list.
If you re-read FlightNurse's statement, I think you'll find you're actually in agreement. In general, time of check-in is not a factor for determining priority; but if that time is also when upgrade is requested, list order can change as shown in both examples.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:59 pm

Arrow

Originally Posted by Stripe
You are also competing against Americans and other non-Argentines.
I know, but as this route (EZE-MIA) is very popular for argentinians, what do you think my position on the upgrade list will be if the plane is filled mostly with argentinians?

Also, I have a few questions:

1)Do you know if in EZE they have those screens where you can see your upgrade list position? If so, when do they enable them?
2)Is is better to auto-check-in, to check-in online or to check in physically at the desk for getting the upgrade? Or is it the same?
3)Can I do something at the check-in desk to improve my upgrade list position?
4)Can I do something beforehand to improve my upgrade position?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by matt85
I still have my 4 SWU to spent and at the same time I need EQM. Looking for some long-haul flights this year where I could use my SWU on, but both AA.com and ExpertFlyer show me almost on every flight 0 C-Fare available. Is that normal, do you have to book SWU fares months in advance?

Thanks
Unfortunately Yes, it is normal. I was checking some MIA-SCL flights and they seem to have C availability in Feb but that won't help with your SWU's.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
If you re-read FlightNurse's statement, I think you'll find you're actually in agreement. In general, time of check-in is not a factor for determining priority; but if that time is also when upgrade is requested, list order can change as shown in both examples.
I do not follow.

When you check in simply determines when you are displayed on the list, not where you lie on the pecking order. If I am CK with 50k spend... I'm likely #1 on the list - and that will be displayed when I check in.. but I still will jump the list even if I check in at T4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.