Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Time of check-in has no bearing on your ultimate place in the queue. If someone with higher status and/or EQDs checks in after you, they will take their place above you in the list and you will move down.
that is what I wrote, as in my flights we were 1-2 on the upgrade list 7 hours before departure, 2.5 hr before departure we dropped to 6 and 8th.

So after check in people must have added themselves to the upgrade list.

Originally Posted by Antarius
I do not follow.

When you check in simply determines when you are displayed on the list, not where you lie on the pecking order. If I am CK with 50k spend... I'm likely #1 on the list - and that will be displayed when I check in.. but I still will jump the list even if I check in at T4
First off people are analyze things way too deep. However, I guess I should have been much more specific SO at check in you request to be placed on the upgrade list, and DEPENDING on your elite status, this will determine where you are on the list.

Hope some of you are happy with that.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 15, 2017 at 12:13 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Had my first ever SWU not clear. In fact, neither did my domestic leg. I was 4 out of 24 from DEN to DFW, and 21 out of 31 DFW-LHR! First time I've EVER been that low on the UG list on AA. Thanks, Discount Dougie.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Had my first ever SWU not clear. In fact, neither did my domestic leg. I was 4 out of 24 from DEN to DFW, and 21 out of 31 DFW-LHR! First time I've EVER been that low on the UG list on AA. Thanks, Discount Dougie.
I had that happen to me last January, but today I have had the positive version of the experience. My SWU cleared on Saturday for LAX-LHR, but my SFO-LAX connection today was cancelled and AA rebooked me in Club World on the BA nonstop flight from SFO-LHR. Not only that, but I also managed to snag 62K upstairs on the 747! And all of that on a fare which cost less than $600 return.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:10 pm

How do upgrades look on LAX to KOA? Flying in March, specifically the 20th, 2018. Would be curious to know whether an SWU should be used, or being Executive Plat has enough of a decent chance for upgrade alone?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I had that happen to me last January, but today I have had the positive version of the experience. My SWU cleared on Saturday for LAX-LHR, but my SFO-LAX connection today was cancelled and AA rebooked me in Club World on the BA nonstop flight from SFO-LHR. Not only that, but I also managed to snag 62K upstairs on the 747! And all of that on a fare which cost less than $600 return.

21st as a ExecPlat with an SWU. That might be a record.

Only SWU I've ever had not clear was LAX-JFK
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Do you still fly UA?

One would assume that DFW-LHR is a VERY premium route what is your EQD for the year? I wonder how many CK's and purchased seats were on the flight? Was this on a 77W?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
So looking at needing to use SWU (Economy to Business) from LHR in a few weeks (Dec 2). Currently EXP w/ >$33K EQD YTD.

Do you think I'd have more success clearing LHR-LAX or LHR-DFW? Heard LAX is tough, but the DFW motherland worries me. No C availability on EF, but seat maps showing ~20+ seats on any of the flight options (772 or 77W).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pafrican
So looking at needing to use SWU (Economy to Business) from LHR in a few weeks (Dec 2). Currently EXP w/ >$33K EQD YTD.

Do you think I'd have more success clearing LHR-LAX or LHR-DFW? Heard LAX is tough, but the DFW motherland worries me. No C availability on EF, but seat maps showing ~20+ seats on any of the flight options (772 or 77W).

Thanks for any thoughts.
It's tough to say, I would assume either LAX or DFW would tough, have you looked at ORD,JFK,MIA?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by pafrican

Thanks for any thoughts.
LHR-LAX on Nov 29 cleared at booking for me three weeks ago.

But DFW and LAX are probably your best bets – ORD seems to fill up very quickly and MIA is usually well out of the way (depending where you are going of course).

JFK is usually a fairly reliable upgrade, but it leaves you with a long domestic flight if you're heading to the left half of the country.

I think you just have to pick the best looking flight for your day, and the one that suits your times best – you will most likely clear unless you are very unlucky indeed. I tend to pick the flight with most open J seats and a good MCE seat still available in case the SWU doesn't clear.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's tough to say, I would assume either LAX or DFW would tough, have you looked at ORD,JFK,MIA?
Thanks for the thoughts. No C at ORD, but an option. JFK and MIA don't work out great for next flight.

I think you just have to pick the best looking flight for your day, and the one that suits your times best – you will most likely clear unless you are very unlucky indeed. I tend to pick the flight with most open J seats and a good MCE seat still available in case the SWU doesn't clear.
Final destination in Tucson. So you're right, just look what's best for total route.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
That's great for mileage earning too. Upstairs on the 747 is a real treat, especially in 62 or 64.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Do you still fly UA?

One would assume that DFW-LHR is a VERY premium route what is your EQD for the year? I wonder how many CK's and purchased seats were on the flight? Was this on a 77W?
This was on a 77W. Not sure what my "rolling EQD" would be, but prior to this trip, I was just over $3500 EQD since January 1st as I status matched back to UA 1K. I've got a bunch of QR/MH flying in the next week, so should at least qualify for PLT with AA for next year, but will likely devote the bulk of my flying to UA/*A next year. Since AA devalued their program, and it is much less convenient to fly AA anyway as a Colorado based flyer, I no longer have any incentive to stick with them.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA exp
UPG question

Just a general question for other EXP.... I wanted to see if others are having the same experience. I have about 28k revenue spend this year but have rarely got an upg over the last 4months. They almost never clear before getting to airport and I end up 2-6 on list with maybe 1 person getting it. Routes are DFW-PHX, DFW- PHL, DFW- LAS and travel is certainly not peak times like Sunday, Friday, evenings. I am at about 33% success rate when it used to be 80-90%.. My schedule is relatively flexible so curious if others had advice about best days/ times to travel... thx
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by moki1
Just a general question for other EXP.... I wanted to see if others are having the same experience. I have about 28k revenue spend this year but have rarely got an upg over the last 4months. They almost never clear before getting to airport and I end up 2-6 on list with maybe 1 person getting it. Routes are DFW-PHX, DFW- PHL, DFW- LAS and travel is certainly not peak times like Sunday, Friday, evenings. I am at about 33% success rate when it used to be 80-90%.. My schedule is relatively flexible so curious if others had advice about best days/ times to travel... thx
I am not having the same experience.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moki1
Are these last minute purchases? I get upgraded 60% of the time on my PHX-DFW flights since I leave Sat morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.