Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United 1K
I am flying PHL-ATH this week and requested upgrade with miles/pay. Not that it is apples to apples but I will post back on if I succeeded. (government fare so no ability to use an SWU.)
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:05 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
We cleared 6 weeks out. Happy dance!
Great, though I wonder what is going on down there. I just had an UPG clear on my LAX-HKG for March. Just when I was getting so used to those last minute nail biters at the gate. Maybe they knew I status matched to UA 1K this month. Nah...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by crwparsons
I wanted to see if anyone has ever requested a SWU/waitlist for travel - PHL-ATH and return in the past. I am planning on traveling 5/23/18 (PHL-ATH) and returning 6/03/18 (ATH-PHL) and I am going to wait list on both legs. Just wanted to see if anyone has had past success or any opinions and thoughts.

Thanks for the help.
I was able to get my SWU this past summer on this very route on Aug 5th. It cleared about a month in advance FWIW.

All the best and enjoy Greece!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:03 pm

I am an EXP and I have waitlisted myself on AA 193 for Wed 11/8. I don't have Expertflyer at the moment but looking at the seat map it shows 17 open seats in business (and 3 in first). Any input or previous experiences for such a mid-week flight in November?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by ngls
I am an EXP and I have waitlisted myself on AA 193 for Wed 11/8. I don't have Expertflyer at the moment but looking at the seat map it shows 17 open seats in business (and 3 in first). Any input or previous experiences for such a mid-week flight in November?

Thanks!
mid-week for me on 192/193 has been a fairly easy upgrade. as long as you avoid the Friday/Saturday night flights you're typically in good shape (193 on 10/21 - Friday night last week had 47 people on the upgrade list and 3 cleared).

Just checked EF and looks like it's F5 J7. 7 is the max AA will show in EF so may be more seats for sale than that.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:09 pm

AA193 ORD-HKG on 11/3. Expert flyer shows 0 upgrade availability, yet the seat maps shows 22 of the 52 business class seats available. I'm currently Plat Pro and am on the upgrade list for miles + $. Technically it's Thursday night late, the flight departs LAX at something like 12:45a - so, super early Friday morning. I don't do a ton of international travel and don't know the tricks on checking upgrade status, nor do I have the experience to determine whether an upgrade is possible. Any thoughts appreciated - mostly for my own satisfaction, as my butt is gonna be on that plane regardless of MCE or business. lol. Thanks, danbrew
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by danbrew
AA193 ORD-HKG on 11/3. Expert flyer shows 0 upgrade availability, yet the seat maps shows 22 of the 52 business class seats available. I'm currently Plat Pro and am on the upgrade list for miles + $. Technically it's Thursday night late, the flight departs LAX at something like 12:45a - so, super early Friday morning. I don't do a ton of international travel and don't know the tricks on checking upgrade status, nor do I have the experience to determine whether an upgrade is possible. Any thoughts appreciated - mostly for my own satisfaction, as my butt is gonna be on that plane regardless of MCE or business. lol. Thanks, danbrew
I don't know how hard of an upgrade this usually is on a Thursday night, but ExpertFlyer shows that there are at least 7 business class seats for sale. It could be 7, it could be 15...no way to know, but it's a lot better than J2 or J1. I don't know what the last-minute sales are like on this route. For this thursday night/Friday morning, it's showing J3.

You could call the PlatPro line and ask how many seats are still for sale on the J cabin.
danbrew likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What's with the upgrade emails? Upgraded two days out for a flight on Friday. No email. Upgraded at the window (actually well before the window) for a Sunday evening flight and got three identical emails within about 10 minutes of each other.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD is nice about clearing UPGs early....for the 2nd time I approached the GA around T45 and mentioned I was #1 on the list and asked if I had a chance and they cleared me right then.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As an AA Plat I was a bit surprised to get an email yesterday that I was upgraded for tomorrow on LAX-LAS.
When I saw my email this morning, that I was upgraded for AUS-LAX...well I was completely shocked.
Not only that, but both flights are showing seats left in F on the seatmap. Of course they could be holding some for sale, there could be some unassigned, etc.

My EQD for the year is about $9k, so I am probably toward the top of the queue, after status. I'll jump up to EXP after a trip in Dec.

Now perhaps I should play roulette...and hope for upgrades on the Sunday return, through PHX.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Just a random observation that I was floored and pleasantly surprised to clear ~26 hours out for AA2012 from SFO-CLT today (Friday). As a middling PLT with so-so revenue, I had prepared myself to be #2768 on the list. If only I wasn't stunned by this I would have moved proactively to pre-order my mediocre lunch selection. Anyway, it was a nice surprise.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
Originally Posted by ngls

Thanks!
My wife and I (both EXP, split PNR) are on that flight. I cleared on 9/28 and she cleared on 9/30. I have the higher EQD due to the Aviator card (18.8K) so probably why I cleared first.

When I cleared there were 26 J seats unassigned and my wife cleared with 25.

EF shows J7, U0, C0 and the seat map shows 8 unassigned J seats and 14 out of 30 MCE assigned.

Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:28 pm

Partial upgrade

We have upgraded our R/T flights ORD-SCL via MIA. The international segments are listed as Business, but the domestic segments still list Economy with no C inventory available. Will we automatically get upgraded when/if C inventory appears, or do I have to do something to initiate it?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Recently booked a trip to PEK in December... Any thoughts on the odds of LAX-PEK clearing on a Friday in early December?

I am hoping a new route plus with December being a slow month for business travel will help our odds of clearing into J.

788 with a small J cabin doesn't help much though.
Quick update, the upgrades cleared today. I cleared automatically first, but noticed my friend was still in Y so a call to AA got my friend cleared too.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:30 pm

I'm on AA193 LAX-HKG on 11/16. I'm Exec Plat using 2 SWU for myself and my SO. Expertflyer shows Business cabin as (J5 R3 D1) but seatmap shows 25 seats available. MCE is completely full. Even Economy shows (Y3 B0 H3 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0). I have a bad feeling in my gut that's telling me that we aren't going to clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.