Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zip10001
AA 85 Friday 11/03 JFK-SFO

Currently listed as # 2 on the upgrade list (complimentary as EXP), sitting in Y

EF shows below: full in Biz, but only 1 seat taken in F, 4 seats available in Y

Will the upgrade Y to J clear?
Looks like there is only one seat available in Y according to the EF screen shot.

If anyone upgrades fro J to F, then there's a chance. The odds of clearing before the gate on an EXP comp upgrade, in that instance are, however, close to zero.

If it's a later flight and they have misconnects and lots of standbys they need to get out before the day closes, they might upgrade people from J to F for operational reasons and then process the upgrade waitlist from Y to J.

They aren't, however, going to move people from J to F just to open up space for elite upgrades, or even to accommodate a normal backlog of standby passengers.

Last edited by DMPHL; Nov 3, 2017 at 7:00 pm Reason: typo!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
If it's a later flight and they have misconnects and lots of standbys they need to get our before the day closes, they might upgrade people from J to F for operational reasons and then process the upgrade waitlist from Y to J.

They aren't, however, going to move people from J to F just to open up space for elite upgrades, or even to accommodate a normal backlog of standby passengers.
This corroborates my experience on the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons. I was twice booked in J on JFK-SFO or vice versa, both times the last flight of the day, and got cabin rolls to F so that they could clear a bunch of IRROPS standby pax. During non-IRROPS times, they'd rather fill F with non-revs and let the J and Y cabins go out as is without much, if any, upgrading at the gate.
DMPHL and zip10001 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
In my experience my upgrade cleared automatically so it looks like they do run the waitlist in some cases before releasing C.

when you check your reservation if you see a duplicate sector with one in Y and one in C that means you cleared. Will need to call or tweet AA to have the ticket reissued.
This is what I see, and it's been this way since ticketing. No C inventory has yet shown on EF, though Bus/First on the domestic flights is wide open. Just want to make sure there's nothing we should be doing to ensure the upgrades we "paid" for will be allocated once/if the C inventory shows up.
Attached Images   
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
R upgrade at the gate

Originally Posted by dkc192
This corroborates my experience on the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons. I was twice booked in J on JFK-SFO or vice versa, both times the last flight of the day, and got cabin rolls to F so that they could clear a bunch of IRROPS standby pax. During non-IRROPS times, they'd rather fill F with non-revs and let the J and Y cabins go out as is without much, if any, upgrading at the gate.
Complimentary upgrade Y->J cleared at the gate, while they were boarding group 4. I was # 2 on the list, # 1 cleared also.
I think F class was 5/10.
At least 2 AA presumably employees (or friends/family of attendants) were in F.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
Cleared AA 18 for tomorrow 11/5 from SFO to JFK about an hour after booking and at around T-56. Earliest I've ever cleared on the Transcon.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Does AA send the "Thanks for playing, but better luck next time e-mails" at the upgrade window? With US Airway you would get a "sorry, but no upgrade for you, but we'll keep looking right up until departure" message, but I'm not sure if I recall seeing such messages from AA. I recall that there was an issue a few months back where the upgrades were not being checked at window time, so there would have been no mails sent, but I thought that particular issue had now been resolved. My Monday flights are J1, J0, so I wasn't expecting an upgrade anyway, but nothing in my inbox stating "welcome to coach, have a nice flight!"
george 3 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Does AA send the "Thanks for playing, but better luck next time e-mails" at the upgrade window? With US Airway you would get a "sorry, but no upgrade for you, but we'll keep looking right up until departure" message, but I'm not sure if I recall seeing such messages from AA. I recall that there was an issue a few months back where the upgrades were not being checked at window time, so there would have been no mails sent, but I thought that particular issue had now been resolved. My Monday flights are J1, J0, so I wasn't expecting an upgrade anyway, but nothing in my inbox stating "welcome to coach, have a nice flight!"
No
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:02 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Cleared Friday morning's CLT-IAH at T-48. I'm only PLAT, so that was surprising.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just some data points for Plat Pro. 9/9 for upgrades since hitting PP.

AA3584 CLE-ORD SUN PM 1 of 9 on the upgrade list, 3 cleared at the gate
AA591 BNA-CLT THUR AM 1 of 19, 2 cleared
AA5366 CLT-GSP THUR PM cleared at T-72, 12 on the upgrade list at gate
AA3291 GSP-ORD SUN AM cleared at gate as this was part of IRROPS, none on the list
AA3799 ORD-BNA SUN PM 1 of 6, 2 cleared at the gate
AA4564 IND-MIA SAT AM cleared at T-72
AA1064 MIA-LGA SAT AM cleared at T-72, 5 on the list at gate
AA1841 LGA-PHL MON AM cleared at T-72, 6 on the list at gate
AA4615 PHL-IND MON AM cleared at T-72, didn't get a count of the list

All in all very happy! I know lots of those aren't peak times/routes, but clearly Plat Pro has made a difference. Likely would not have cleared many of those flights as a Plat. Will make EXP by years end so hopefully I haven't gotten spoiled with my run of luck.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I went 1 for 4 on my mileage run on Monday. As expected, I went oh-fer on the J1, J0 outbound flights (I was 9 of 16 on the SAN-LAX puddle jump -for a flight with just 6 seats in F and was 8 of 17 on the LAX-HNL flight, but I actually did clear the HNL-LAX return at T-48 and then reverted to type on the last LAX-SAN leg where I ended up 4 of 9 with just 1 of the 6 seats available. Still, if I was going to pick a flight to be upgraded on, it would have been the redeye HNL-LAX flight.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just some data points for you all

NOV-3
PHX-ORD Upgrade did not clear (no surprise) but myself and hubby were 19-20 on the upgrade list.
ORD-PEK upgrade did not clear we were 5-6 on the list.

Nov-7
PEK-ORD upgraded 36 hours before departure. It was the best $350 + 25K ever spent. There were 2 seats vacant on this flight in J. The PEK-DFW flight had 11 seats open in J on day of departure.
ORD-PHX upgrade did not clear, we were 21-22 on the list...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:54 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by OTD
Cleared Friday morning's CLT-IAH at T-48. I'm only PLAT, so that was surprising.
And cleared Friday's DFW-SEA at T-24ish. Only IAH-DFW is a question, but there's only one F seat available now.

Yes, I am doing a mileage run, why do you ask?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm sitting in 15F on 2335 waiting to de-ice. I was 7 out of 40 on the upgrade list with a YTD EQD spend at $20K. I didn't realize how low that must be until I saw that I'm 7th. This EQD ranking for upgrades must be reaking havoc for lower spend EXP's let alone plat plus, platinums and golds. The EQD ranking priority has pretty much rendered all those 500 miler certs useless.

I have a really good exit seat so I don't really care of course. I'm merely stating my opinion.

Last edited by enviroian; Nov 11, 2017 at 9:16 am Reason: corrected flight number
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm sitting in 15F on 2325 waiting to de-ice. I was 7 out of 40 on the upgrade list with a YTD EQD spend at $20K. I didn't realize how low that must be until I saw that I'm 7th. This EQD ranking for upgrades must be reaking havoc for lower spend EXP's let alone plat plus, platinums and golds. The EQD ranking priority has pretty much rendered all those 500 miler certs useless.

I have a really good exit seat so I don't really care of course. I'm merely stating my opinion.
2325 is the 8pm MIA-LGA...are you sure you got the flight number correct? If planes need to de-ice in MIA I'm not sure what we've come to...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm sitting in 15F on 2325 waiting to de-ice. I was 7 out of 40 on the upgrade list with a YTD EQD spend at $20K. I didn't realize how low that must be until I saw that I'm 7th. This EQD ranking for upgrades must be reaking havoc for lower spend EXP's let alone plat plus, platinums and golds. The EQD ranking priority has pretty much rendered all those 500 miler certs useless.

I was 6 out of 52 on HKG-LAX recently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.