Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Some random DPs for the lowly PLTs here.

This year I was Gold until Oct, PLT since then. Home airport of PHX seems to mean a goodly amount of EXPs, with 1-2 CKs not a rarity.

Gold upgrade %: 2/3. Includes Sunday afternoon to Burbank and a midweek redeye to ORD (1061). Miss was ORD-PHX (853) return on Friday no surprise.
PLT upgrades %: 2/3 + an odd Op-Up. Miss was Thur-Fri redeye (617). Hits were ORD-SJU on a Friday (395), and CLT to PHX (654). The Op-Up was SJU-CLT (753) and was actually for my wife, who became PLT on the flight down. I think they were trying to give her a pleasant perk.

Anyway, the point being: it wasn't a terrible year for me as a PLT out of a decent AA airport. But I did tend to have non-primary routes compared to EXPs going cross country.
PHX is a tough airport, not as tough as ORD or DFW, but your upgrades seem to fall in line with GOLD and PLT. Since falling from EXPLT the only time I have been in F, has been a paid ticket PHX-ORD, the upgrade list has had 5-15 people on it. On flights from ORD to LGA the upgrade list can have anywhere between 10-15 people on it. Our last ORD-PHX flight there were 22 people on the upgrade list. What I find good about PLT is being able to select MCE seats at booking. I have only done two miles + copay for upgrade that was ORD-PEK-ORD the outbound didn't clear, but the return did and the flight went out with 2 seats open in J.

I like this thread as it gives me hope on some upgrade changes on certain routes and the helpful hints when to travel,.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
DFW-HKG is a tough upgrade to clear, especially a Saturday departure, since it arrives Sunday evening.

I was actually a little surprised when my upcoming DFW-HKG cleared almost three weeks before departure—but it's right over Christmas, so maybe that's why.
I'm flying DFW-HKG on 27 Dec and have been waitlisted for an SWU upgrade to J for several months. Flight seems full in all cabins, so am increasingly pessimistic the upgrade will clear at the gate.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I'm flying DFW-HKG on 27 Dec and have been waitlisted for an SWU upgrade to J for several months. Flight seems full in all cabins, so am increasingly pessimistic the upgrade will clear at the gate.
I am flying a few days before. According to EF, it looks like your flight is J2 D1, with economy completely zeroed out. So maybe you might have a chance.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:31 am

A couple of more DPs: Spouse and I are traveling to SA via MIA in Feb/Mar. We upgraded the trip Y>J via points, but at the time of booking the domestic legs showed C0. I snagged a C1 for the 12FEB18 ORD-MIA leg on Dec 7, and got another C1 today for same. Now waiting on 03MAR18 MIA-ORD > C0. Thanks, EF.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Gold Elite
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
DFW-HKG is a tough upgrade to clear, especially a Saturday departure, since it arrives Sunday evening.

I was actually a little surprised when my upcoming DFW-HKG cleared almost three weeks before departure—but it's right over Christmas, so maybe that's why.
@flyingeph12...I agree the Saturday departure is the problem with the potential upgrade. However, all I can do at this point is wait and hope the Upgrade Gods smile on me and grant us SWU's for my wife and I for this DFW-HKG flt on 17 March.. We have only $15,000 EQD each
We are both EXP. I appreciate all of your insight.

Last edited by gracett1; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:36 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
We'll now archive this thread and direct further discussion to the 2018 version of this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Thanks! /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.