Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tikchik
I am looking for flights to Oz/Nz, good way to use my miles.

The option below pops up . AA is offering 110k miles for a First MIlesaaver seat, but it is coach for the SYD-DFW leg. Is this a glitch or this a fair use of my miles?

QF 7 12:35 PM SYD 1:00 PM DFW
Qantas Seat information not available Meal: Lunch Aircraft: 388 Booking Code: X Class: Economy

AA1472 FRI APR 19
8:55 AM DFW 9:57 AM ONT
American Airlines View Available Seats Meal: Breakfast Aircraft: 738 Opens in a new windowBooking Code: U
Total travel time: 38hr 22minClass: First
Several threads on USA Au/NZ awards
What you are being shown is not unusual or new. You just need to be careful

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Australia New Zealand AA forum
AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

QF AA forum -->- AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Science Goy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Seems like 110k miles for a long haul coach seat is just being brushed off as business per usual.
I think it is complete garbage that AA has not fixed this gouge and I am confused why people act like its not a big deal. What is worse, being complacent or inept?
If this 110K Coach seat offer has been known for a long time, why is it still accepted as fair trade?
FWIW- I am an AA loyalist, 1MM, EXP by end of year. I did not come in here trolling.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
If this 110K Coach seat offer has been known for a long time, why is it still accepted as fair trade?
They are offering a product at a price. It's up to you to decide whether or not to accept it. I'm regularly offered products and services I think are overpriced (and don't purchase as a result), but am puzzled how "fairness" is supposed to factor into it.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
They are offering a product at a price. It's up to you to decide whether or not to accept it. I'm regularly offered products and services I think are overpriced (and don't purchase as a result), but am puzzled how "fairness" is supposed to factor into it.
Good point. Poor use of words.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Seems like 110k miles for a long haul coach seat is just being brushed off as business per usual.
I think it is complete garbage that AA has not fixed this gouge and I am confused why people act like its not a big deal. What is worse, being complacent or inept?
FWIW- I am an AA loyalist, 1MM, EXP by end of year. I did not come in here trolling.
I agree with you that it is garbage, but I'm not sure what you propose to do about it. Search around on Alaska, United, and probably others and you'll find similar "mixed cabin" award propositions that essentially no one would ever knowingly choose. Sure, some airlines do a better job of including a "mixed cabin" warning icon or something, but none of them have an "exclude mixed-cabin itineraries" option. The only real complaint I have is that sifting through all these non-options takes time, but that's not exactly grounds for a class action lawsuit...
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:41 pm

If the VIP's aren't complaining about using 110k miles to fly Coach to SYD, there is not be a problem?

Next we debate about whats more excusable, complacency or ineptitude?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the VIP's aren't complaining about using 110k miles to fly Coach to SYD, there is not be a problem?

Next we debate about whats more excusable, complacency or ineptitude?
You are not being forced to purchase it if you do not think that it is of value

What is being offered is valid - just that many , I suspect, would not think of it as being a good use of miles

I don't know what those people who AA would class as very important think of it - Holding EP status doesn't make one important
I am not sure what the complaint is - what is offered is valid , just a poor use of miles

I don't know what you want to debate - there is no complaceny or ineptitude - just a fare offered

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:58 pm

What's your solution? Stop displaying mixed cabin awards?
What happens if there's a leg of of your itinerary on an RJ with no First cabin? Or if no F is available on the smaller, connector, segment but is on the int'l one?
Would you rather that AA not display these?
Nothing wrong with some mixed cabin awards - they open up more options for redemption.
Some will be poor value, like your example, but certainly not all of them are!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The only real complaint I have is that sifting through all these non-options takes time, but that's not exactly grounds for a class action lawsuit...
Not to mention I've used mixed-cabin awards to my advantage -- essentially guaranteeing myself a F seat on one leg while I wait for F inventory to open up on the other. Not on anything as extreme as these ridiculous Australia awards, but I definitely prefer the inconvenience of the current system to the previous one, where mixed-cabin itineraries were impossible (where I was blocked from a premium SFO-LAX-LHR award if the first leg didn't have F/J, for instance).
cedric and AA100k like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:08 pm

You are ok paying with First miles on SFO-LAX-SYD on the chance LAX- SYD cleared? Or is there a way to book SFO-LAX in F w/o committing TPAC miles?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

You are ok paying with First miles on SFO-LAX-SYD on the chance LAX- SYD cleared?
I explicitly said I wasn't...

Not on anything as extreme as these ridiculous Australia awards
... and therefore, I don't.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:37 pm

What is a good example for an aadvantage member to take advantage of a mixed cabin offer?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The option below pops up . AA is offering 110k miles for a First MIlesaaver seat, but it is coach for the SYD-DFW leg. Is this a glitch or this a fair use of my miles?
Not surprising, but it is neither a glitch in AA's eyes (since they're shady and some legs are "F") nor a fair use of your miles (since the SYD-DFW in coach would only be 40k saver or 70k anytime).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:20 pm

What is a good example for an aadvantage member to take advantage of a mixed cabin offer?
SFO-JFK (redeye, business) connecting to JFK-LHR (daytime, economy). I don't care about having a lie-flat seat on the second leg, but I absolutely want it on the redeye -- even though it's the shorter flight.

But ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide whether or not a given itinerary is worth the price.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:23 pm

There would be more outrage in this thread if I used the wrong pronoun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.