Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by comodrew
I am flying premium economy - STL-DFW-OGG later this year. The STL-DFW leg does not have a premium economy seat (737-800) - does this mean that I have to pay to check my baggage from STL to DFW? The DFW-OGG does have premium economy (777-200) so I am good there.

Also, since there are no premium economy seats on STL-DFW, I changed my seat to one of the MCE seats without paying for an upgrade - the website said $0 when I selected those seats, is this right?

I have scoured the forum and abused the search function to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to FT. You will get the PE baggage allowance for the whole trip, and it is correct that you can select a MCE seat on the STL-DFW flight for no charge since you're on a PE fare. Enjoy the trip!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:22 am

Great news! Thanks for the help. Great forum here, I've been lurking and learning much this past week.
JDiver and ashill like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Though @JJeffrey is correct about the policy, you should also be able to see this by looking at your eticket receipt. It should list the ticketed baggage allowance (should say "1PC"), which by Federal law must apply to the entire ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:49 am

I do not see a "1PC" on my ticket receipt or the itinerary on AA.com. I am 3 months out though so maybe that's the reason?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

I do not see a "1PC" on my ticket receipt or the itinerary on AA.com. I am 3 months out though so maybe that's the reason?
Does your ticket receipt list a baggage allowance at all? (I don't recall it being there when you view the itinerary on the web site; they're not required to.) Again, the policy is clear; you're fine. But the allowance is supposed to be there on the eticket receipt to clarify things.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Does your ticket receipt list a baggage allowance at all? (I don't recall it being there when you view the itinerary on the web site; they're not required to.) Again, the policy is clear; you're fine. But the allowance is supposed to be there on the eticket receipt to clarify things.
No baggage allowances indicated that I can see. I see my booking code is listed as H for STL-DFW and P for DFW-OGG and the same on the return portion. I booked through Chase UR if that changes anything as well but there is no info regarding baggage there either.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:31 pm

No baggage allowances indicated that I can see. I see my booking code is listed as H for STL-DFW and P for DFW-OGG and the same on the return portion. I booked through Chase UR if that changes anything as well but there is no info regarding baggage there either.
OK. Indeed my Chase receipts don't show the baggage allowance either. If you buy directly from the airline, they do.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Just wanted to add my DP.

Had 2 international awards with the longhauls in Business and the short flights in economy due to availability at booking. Found First availability only due to searching connecting itineraries (in my case, I had AUS-DFW-NRT booked and AUS-DFW came up empty but a new search for AUS-DFW-NRT with a different DFW-NRT flight showed First availability on AUS-DFW). Called in multiple times and spoke to different reps and supervisors who said they could not upgrade the segment as the entire itinerary would need to be available. Twitter support was no help. Finally got hold of a supervisor who saw the availability on other itineraries and did some sort of manual "overbooking" as she called it and pushed me into First on both flights. So it still can be done.

HUCA and be persistent.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by veeRob
Just wanted to add my DP.

Had 2 international awards with the longhauls in Business and the short flights in economy due to availability at booking. Found First availability only due to searching connecting itineraries (in my case, I had AUS-DFW-NRT booked and AUS-DFW came up empty but a new search for AUS-DFW-NRT with a different DFW-NRT flight showed First availability on AUS-DFW). Called in multiple times and spoke to different reps and supervisors who said they could not upgrade the segment as the entire itinerary would need to be available. Twitter support was no help. Finally got hold of a supervisor who saw the availability on other itineraries and did some sort of manual "overbooking" as she called it and pushed me into First on both flights. So it still can be done.

HUCA and be persistent.
This was an exception and not policy. Great that it worked out for you but the justification to oversell the domestic first cabin shouldn’t have been applied under these circumstances.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:05 am

Alrighty, thanks for the info. I'll give this an update after my vacation with my experience.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT rule applies only to air carriers.

If you wish to confirm the allowance, you may call AA directly and ask.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:05 am

I did actually call last week. Got someone on the phone who I am not sure understood my question and after some time on hold and confusion, they came back and said that the allowance on the first flight determines the allowance for the entire trip. So I may pay for bags on the way there and not on the way back. So we will see what happens.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
mixed cabin awards

Hi,

Let's say I book a business class sAAver award with mixed cabins.

I.e. First flight is in business, next flight is economy, next flight is business.

Before the day of travel, what are the criteria for asking to be put in business on the 2nd flight?

Does sAAver space have to be available from O/D of the entire one way or if I find sAAver space by searching that flight, they could put me in there? I read that now the agents have to deal with HARD married segment logic...

And on the day of travel, let's say I fly the first segment in business, and I'm at my layover:

Same question as above. Is it easier now that one segment will have been flown?

Next question is (if unable to do the above)... can I be put on the upgrade list? If so, how? Also, would that go by whether the segment shows business sAAver availability?

THanks

Tried posting this elsewhere in what i thought was the right thread but got no responses
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It is supposed to be based on how your original ticket is booked, AFAIK.

That is, if your original ticket was booked with married segments, then the agent is most likely going to require business availability on all 3 segments in order to just change the middle segment to business.

If no married segments were involved originally, then it should be no problem for any agent to change you to business on the middle segment if availability opens up on just that segment.

The problem is that now, many agents are taking their married segment change "logic" to the extreme, and requiring availability on everything in order to make a change on one segment, even if married segments are not in play.

It's completely YMMV, and in any event worth a few HUCAs if you see availability open up on your middle segment.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Question Wait list for award upgrade?

One domestic leg on a TATL Business Award ticket is in coach class. Flights are in six months. Is it possible now to be put on a wait list for upgrading the coach leg? Or is there another way to get the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.