Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Yeah, that's the way it's been for some time now.

Try searching for partner awards on BA/ QF/ CX, and then call AA to ticket when you find something that works for you.
So if I find something on a partner airline for the domestic flight and find a connecting flight on AA, I can call AA and have them book it as one journey??
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pathologist
So if I find something on a partner airline for the domestic flight and find a connecting flight on AA, I can call AA and have them book it as one journey??
Did you search award flight or revenue? If it's the former, it should be ok as long as the routing is permitted.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:40 pm

It seems every route I choose, I get this message:
  • The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request.
Why do they even post it if it's not available?....SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
It seems every route I choose, I get this message:
  • The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request.
Why do they even post it if it's not available?....SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!
Maybe because of this:
Originally Posted by ashill
Note that on the US end (SAN-hub), this advice may not be valid any more. AA is now pricing awards using married segment logic, so there may be availability on (for example) SAN-DFW-LHR even when there's no availability on the DFW-LHR segment as a standalone option. In that case, you'd only see the availability if you search SAN-LHR; if you search DFW-LHR, there wouldn't be anything. See this thread.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
You have several options:
1. Call AA and just pay the very minimal phone ticketing fee to get Business class awards for the Business class AA miles. No one should submit to paying Business award miles to fly in economy-that is fraud.
2. Use a service to do the work for you(there are a LOT of websites on Flyertalk that do this). You will pay anywhere from $150-$350 for two people but depending on who you use it can be money well spent. I have a service I found on FT and they have been great at booking me in the class I requested AND follow my flights(and family members itineraries) if there are delays on the flights. Money well spent for me at least. I will be a loyal client for many years.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

I show an award using Alaska for the US flight in economy but when I look at Alaska's website for award travel, there is plenty of 1st class availability. I don't get it?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:12 pm

I'm going to call AA and see what response I get. Do I call reservations or Advantage?

Sweet sleep: Could you give me the name of the service. I might consider using them before I pull all my hair out!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Keep in mind Dubrovnik is going to be very limited.

Also, since connections to Dubrovnik and Budapest will almost certainly involve British Airways, you should know their business class, aka Club Europe, is not the same as domestic First on American or any of the US carriers. Rather, it is economy seating, with the middle seat blocked off, and a little better service (drinks/snack).

Personally, I'd consider being flexible on your dates and where you fly into. For example, Frankfurt, Milan, Munich, and Zurich are all places you can fly into on American and enjoy a true business class experience. On the other hand, sometimes it's easier, to get award seats into LHR because there are so many more flights in there.

Once you're in Europe, there are lots of inexpensive options to get around (but lots of add on fees) but not really US style First/Business. It's all about the low cost carriers but flying into Frankfurt/Munich/Milan and exploring for a day, catching a low cost carrier to Dubrovnick or Budapest, or taking the train over are all fun options.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I show an award using Alaska for the US flight in economy but when I look at Alaska's website for award travel, there is plenty of 1st class availability. I don't get it?

Do you mean that you’re looking on Alaska’s web site and seeing availability on Alaska flights with miles? If so, those will only be bookable using AA miles if they’re available at the lowest price. AS, like pretty much every airline including AA, has awards available at the lowest price which are available to their own members and partners as well as awards at higher prices that are only available to their own members with AS miles.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:35 pm

Welcome to devaluation that everyone else experiences. You will find another thread on this subject.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Knit-in: What does QF/ CX stand for?
QF QANTAS
CX Cathay

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 5, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:55 am

Saver price misleading

Looking for Biz class from LIT to DUB while avoid BA. Found some that routes me through ORD on AA, then through MAD on IB. No big deal. But, the only Biz class is from LIT-ORD, and hour and half flight. Everything else is economy, that is ORD-MAD and MAD-DUB. Why would anyone do that?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by amyers
Looking for Biz class from LIT to DUB while avoid BA. Found some that routes me through ORD on AA, then through MAD on IB. No big deal. But, the only Biz class is from LIT-ORD, and hour and half flight. Everything else is economy, that is ORD-MAD and MAD-DUB. Why would anyone do that?
Yep, this is an aa.com glitch that shows up when looking for award seats where the itinerary utilizes another carrier. It became rampant when AA re-programmed their domestic First class to book into business class fare buckets a while back. It's especially bad to Australia and NZ, where you'll frequently see 110k F awards and 80k J awards available, only to click through and see it's really something like SYD-DFW in Y then DFW-RDU in F.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:11 am

Yes, it really wasting my time. I mean, I will avoid BA as much as possible because that's a rip off of in itself. I've flown through MAD to get to FCO. I don' mind that. But, it's hard planning if these show up but on a 3 leg route and the shortest route is the only one showing biz class. FRUSTRATING.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
UA also shows Mixed cabins but I find AA really bad- or maybe just the destinations I choose.
The other waste of time is looking for fares and being routed via BA and seeing about $500 fees which makes the use of miles illogical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.