Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:33 am

I avoid BA as much as possible. As you say, it makes no sense. Might as well pay for the ticket. I've been flying Iberia out of ORD to MAD. Works well for me.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have a twist on a question answered above, but I'm not sure if the answer is the same or not.

If I book a mixed-class flight (YVR-LAX Coach followed by intercontinental Business), a post above from 2016 indicates that the Business Class baggage rules would apply at check-in in YVR. However, if the two flights involve an overnight connection, does that still hold true?

And is it still the case that if F opens up on the YVR-LAX flight, I can just call and AA will rebook us? Can this be waitlisted to happen automatically?

Finally, does the answer to either of the above questions change if the intercontinental flight is on a partner?

Thanks.

Last edited by mahasamatman; May 28, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If business class opens up on the 1st international flight, then there is no charge to change; it is not possible to waitlist for this - if you have an Expert Flyer subscription, you could use it to set an alert if it comes free

When it comes to baggage allowance - the airline operating the 1st sector gets to decide whether to apply its baggage policies or defer to that of the Most Significant Carrier

For AA-AA , then AA's policies would be that the business class allowance applies throughout

For AA-another carrier , my recollection is that AA will defer to the Most Significant Carrier, so the allowances of the airline operating the most significant sector will apply

For a round trip journey, then the same rules will apply for the entire trip
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:02 pm

Award Ticket in coach and Business

Hello,

I have an award ticket from PHX-LAX-MIA. the PHX-LAX segment is in Coach and the LAX-MIA segment is in Business. My questions are in regard to checking in in Phoenix. Can I use business check in? Will we have to pay for checked luggage? Is there anyway I can upgrade the PHX-LAX segment?

Thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:48 pm

I'm assuming this is a business/first award, so in first class domestically on a 2-cabin plane?
You should be able to use the first class check-in in PHX and have the first class baggage allowance at check in.
As far as PHX-LAX, you can't be put in line for an upgrade. But if business/first award space opens on that flight, you can call & request to be moved to a first class seat (since you already "paid" the miles for it with the LAX-MIA segment).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GWFan
As far as PHX-LAX, you can't be put in line for an upgrade. But if business/first award space opens on that flight, you can call & request to be moved to a first class seat (since you already "paid" the miles for it with the LAX-MIA segment).
And you'll need to monitor it yourself, because you won't be rebooked automatically. Annoying, but in AA's view, you willingly purchased coach for that flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by GWFan
I'm assuming this is a business/first award, so in first class domestically on a 2-cabin plane?
You should be able to use the first class check-in in PHX and have the first class baggage allowance at check in.
We booked the award ticket on AA's site, PHX-MIA with a layover in LAX. Understanding that PHX-LAX is coach and LAX-MIA is business on a 777-200.

When we check in phoenix. Will we use the coach line? Will we have to pay for checked luggage?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gishua
We booked the award ticket on AA's site, PHX-MIA with a layover in LAX. Understanding that PHX-LAX is coach and LAX-MIA is business on a 777-200.

When we check in phoenix. Will we use the coach line? Will we have to pay for checked luggage?
No, you can use the First Class check-in line and you won't have to pay for checked luggage.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Fair to Advertise? (mixed cabin awards)

I am looking for flights to Oz/Nz, good way to use my miles.

The option below pops up . AA is offering 110k miles for a First MIlesaaver seat, but it is coach for the SYD-DFW leg. Is this a glitch or this a fair use of my miles?

QF 7

12:35 PM
SYD

1:00 PM
DFWQantas Seat information not availableMeal: Lunch Aircraft: 388Booking Code: XClass: Economy
1472FRI APR 19

8:55 AM
DFW

9:57 AM
ONTAmerican Airlines View Available SeatsMeal: Breakfast Aircraft: 738 Opens in a new windowBooking Code: UTotal travel time: 38hr 22minClass: First
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
This is a known glitch/issue that's been around for a while. Best way around it is to use Expertflyer to search only nonstops on the overseas legs, or call in and work with an agent to find availability.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

I did not know it was a known glitch.

Still, if AA wanted to fix this, they would have by now.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by tikchik
I did not know it was a known glitch.

Still, if AA wanted to fix this, they would have by now.
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are you asking for advice?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

I am not looking for advice. The point of the thread is to show AA asking First prices for Coach seats.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Without going to the relevant page, I know that sometimes on the award travel page it will indicate that the trip is in multiple cabins. However I agree. It's one thing to fly LGA-PHL-NRT with LGA-PHL in coach, and another for PHL-NRT to be in coach!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tikchik
I am looking for flights to Oz/Nz, good way to use my miles.

The option below pops up . AA is offering 110k miles for a First MIlesaaver seat, but it is coach for the SYD-DFW leg. Is this a glitch or this a fair use of my miles?

QF 7

12:35 PM
SYD

1:00 PM
DFWQantas Seat information not availableMeal: Lunch Aircraft: 388Booking Code: XClass: Economy
1472FRI APR 19

8:55 AM
DFW

9:57 AM
ONTAmerican Airlines View Available SeatsMeal: Breakfast Aircraft: 738 Opens in a new windowBooking Code: UTotal travel time: 38hr 22minClass: First
Assuming that the DFW-ONT flight is on a two-class aircraft (which seems likely), the correct redemption rate for such an itinerary would be 80K AA miles -- not 110K AA miles -- since domestic F on a two-class aircraft is charged at the Business Class redemption rate.

AA, like many carriers, will charge the higher-class redemption rate if even one segment of a multi-segment award is in a premium cabin. It's not very good value in your case, but as long as AA discloses the various cabins on the itinerary there's no fraud here. You do, however, have to carefully review the offered itinerary to make sure that you're getting what you want.
GWFan likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 24, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.