Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:48 pm

Last leg of business class award trip was booked in coach (to merge)

Just returned from a trip to Europe booked with AA miles. Although the trip was booked as a business class flight, the last leg of the return trip (SEA to PDX on Alaska) was booked in coach. I think I recall that at the time of booking, the flight from SEA to PDX was on a plane that didn't have business/first class, so coach was the only option. The plane did in fact have a business class section, but at the time of boarding when I realized the situation, all seats in business were taken. The plane change apparently happened at some point between the time of my booking and the actual flight-- was it my responsibility to alert AA of the change and request that my ticket for the final leg be upgraded to business class? Should they have alerted me? Or should Alaska have alerted me? Should it have been upgraded automatically? Should I hold out hope for any compensation for this? It wasn't exactly a downgrade . . . but I did have to sit in coach despite paying for a business class ticket.
Thanks-
Linda
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Linda Marshall
Just returned from a trip to Europe booked with AA miles. Although the trip was booked as a business class flight, the last leg of the return trip (SEA to PDX on Alaska) was booked in coach. I think I recall that at the time of booking, the flight from SEA to PDX was on a plane that didn't have business/first class, so coach was the only option. The plane did in fact have a business class section, but at the time of boarding when I realized the situation, all seats in business were taken. The plane change apparently happened at some point between the time of my booking and the actual flight-- was it my responsibility to alert AA of the change and request that my ticket for the final leg be upgraded to business class? Should they have alerted me? Or should Alaska have alerted me? Should it have been upgraded automatically? Should I hold out hope for any compensation for this? It wasn't exactly a downgrade . . . but I did have to sit in coach despite paying for a business class ticket.
Thanks-
Linda
Happens all the time.

Keep an eye on your reservations. I booked an international F trip to Asia 11 months out. Only coach for the first domestic leg.

I kept an eye on it, and finally saw a F seat open, I called and snagged it. It's 100% your responsibility.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Been in your shoes numerous times, that said I always keep checking as the responsibility is on the passenger. the only time it will be on a carrier is if you were on a waitlist, but even then if you want it you better monitor it as well, all too often space will be available but the computers didnt get to it yet, hello UA BTW if the flight is listed as no biz/1st then you cant waitlist for it, you can only WL when the flight ha sit but its not available and usually thats only with that carriers metal, in this case since it was AS , I believe unless you were using AS miles no way to WL even if had Biz/1st

Since you had no choice but to book coach and you did and you got what you booked you arent entitled to any compensation. Have you ever flown Intra-Europe in Biz its all coach seats and pitch like coach, yet you pay for Biz

btw Ive seen plenty of times where say a NY-SEA-SFO is sold as Biz but its coach NY-SEA and 1st SEA-SFO especially when using miles on UA, so you get ripped off very nicely if you didnt check before hand. Be happy your very short flight was the one you had to endure in coach

Last edited by craz; Aug 29, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Agree - you book Premium class reward seats way in advance - so you need to watch the reservation - maybe once or twice a week. Things change.

AA reward with coach on AS. AA system doesn't know to rebook you if a new aircraft offers higher class of service.

I just had future travel on QF to AA. The QF flight schedule got changed - to 3 hours later. My connecting AA flight was now departing before the arrival of the QF flight. I had to call, and tell the agent to put me on the next AA flights.

If you notice a change to your flights - prep in advance before you call - to know what you want. Having Expertflyer is good for this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Compensation for flying your ticketed itinerary?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
that's only a what, 40 min flight? If you're able to snag the long, over the water portion in business that's the most valuable.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I kept an eye on it, and finally saw a F seat open, I called and snagged it. It's 100% your responsibility.
To be clear, it wouldn't be automatic. There would have to be award inventory, and then you'd have to have AA re-issue the ticket. I can't really speak to how AS would handle an AA award at the gate, but I'm pretty sure if it were an AA flight, AA wouldn't let you just stand by for first class on their own metal, even on an AA award (let alone a partner award). I believe UA has this as a published elite benefit - the ability to stand by for a higher class on an award if you can only confirm the lower class.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ijgordon
To be clear, it wouldn't be automatic. There would have to be award inventory, and then you'd have to have AA re-issue the ticket. I can't really speak to how AS would handle an AA award at the gate, but I'm pretty sure if it were an AA flight, AA wouldn't let you just stand by for first class on their own metal, even on an AA award (let alone a partner award). I believe UA has this as a published elite benefit - the ability to stand by for a higher class on an award if you can only confirm the lower class.
I don't think anything in my response indicated it was "automatic". I was obviously checking for F award space, not revenue seats.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:33 pm

You might try subscribing to expert flyer. They have an award alert system. Works particularly well with aa flights. I think, not sure, it also works with as flights.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
- My recollection is that Y on a J/F AA award is a voluntary downgrade and you will not be placed on an upgrade list (unless you are EXP on a domestic segment). However, if an award J/F inventory will open up, you can call AA and reissue the ticket at no extra cost. I just had this done for my XXX-DFW-LIH ticket. DFW-LIH was booked in business sAAver but XXX-DFW was only available in Y. As EXP I was listed for a complementary upgrade, but it would only be processed <100 hrs before departure. Then 2 weeks ago seats in F/J opened up, I have called AA, and the ticket was reissued with no problems.
Finally, there is no compensation for a voluntary downgrade if J/F inventory is unavailable for some of the segments.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Same thing is happening to me on a J saver TATL, with the last leg ORD-DFW in Y. Currently on the upgrade list as an EXP but am actively monitoring that last leg.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Linda Marshall
was it my responsibility to alert AA of the change and request that my ticket for the final leg be upgraded to business class?
Yes.

You knew it would be in coach at the time of ticketing and accepted that as part of the transaction. At that point, you and AA agreed that you paid X for Y and AA's next responsibility is to deliver what you agreed to, not to keep searching for better options for you.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't think anything in my response indicated it was "automatic". I was obviously checking for F award space, not revenue seats.
I'm sure it was obvious.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- My recollection is that Y on a J/F AA award is a voluntary downgrade and you will not be placed on an upgrade list (unless you are EXP on a domestic segment). However, if an award J/F inventory will open up, you can call AA and reissue the ticket at no extra cost.
FWIW, some folks have posted on here that they have successfully gotten an airport agent to list them as a DSR on the PALL list. For those who are unfamiliar, DSR is the code for a confirmed Y passenger on a F/J ticket, and trumps all upgrade requests (basically desiring a F/J seat, hence "DSR").
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html, where this will ultimately be merged.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.