Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by jrseattle
I'm trying to book a saver award in F AUH-JFK-YVR. First leg is on Etihad, Second on Cathay Pacific. The current cost for this award is 90K miles.
However, there is no availability on the AUH-JFK segment in F so I said I want to voluntarily downgrade to Business Class on the segment. There is availability on the JFK-YVR segment in F.
I tried 2 AA agents (in Australia) and they say both that this itinerary requires 2 separate awards, for a total of 100K miles, because of the mixed classes.
If F space becomes available on first leg, I could change and the award would be recomputed. Of course, my hope is that space will become available but I don't want the award to be recalculated after March 22 (or whatever the exact date is) because of the much higher cost.
What do I do to convince AA to book this as ONE F award for 90K???

jrseattle
If EY doesn't have a published fare from AUH to YVR, then the reservation system will price the itinerary as 2 separate awards, irrespective of the mixed classes of service. As an experiment, check if an all Business award from AUH to YVR prices at 67.5k. If it still breaks at JFK, you have your answer or at the very least, you know that the AA agent doesn't!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Mixed Cabin Award -- Quick Question

I am trying to book a ticket pre-devaluation and found the following availability:

JL NRT-LAX in Y
AA LAX-JFK in F Saver (priced at 32.5k standalone on the website).

Because of the one segment in F, shouldn't this award price out at 62.5k one way? (Same price as NRT-JFK in F on JL.) The AA agent quoted me a price of 50k and after repeated questioning, I hung up as I didn't want to ticket an award that wasn't at 62.5k.

Any one know why this was coming out at 50k? Was the agent just wrong?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Free checked bag on mixed cabin itinerary?

Hi,

my wife is flying on an award ticket DFW-MIA-MBJ where the first leg is in Y and the second in J. Can she check a bag for free?

thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Yes. Business class baggage rules would apply for both legs.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
However, as of this week, if the return is all in Y, the J allowance will no longer be extended to the entire trip.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
If you get the chance, would you please check your wife's emailed itinerary confirmation and let us know what (if anything) it says about the charges for checked bags?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:40 pm

Unhappy Misleading Award Travel (mixed class award issue)

When I try to book first class awards I am appalled that on a 4 segment itinerary almost always 3 out of 4 segments are in coach and only 1 is in first class. It seems to me using 30k miles for a one way first class ticket and only getting 1 segment out of 4 in first call is a rip off.
Does anyone else agree?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by letsflyright
When I try to book first class awards I am appalled that on a 4 segment itinerary almost always 3 out of 4 segments are in coach and only 1 is in first class. It seems to me using 30k miles for a one way first class ticket and only getting 1 segment out of 4 in first call is a rip off.
Does anyone else agree?
That depends, what is your itinerary?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Does anyone else agree?
Yes, I find it annoying too. And, they don't make it easy to find itineraries where there is inventory on all legs. I went through that exercise last month booking an AAnytime Business. Fortunately, my EF subscription saved the day and I found an itinerary that worked.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
That's really interesting. I just tried to mock up a couple itineraries for Christmas to Montreal and noticed this exact thing. Is this new? I'd never seen some indicated as "business" and then not all legs (unless single class plane) were in that respective class.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't know if it's new but it has definitely got worse. If you try to search for a J award from LAX, SFO or DFW to SYD, the booking system will now offer you a Business award which is an AA flight in First to one of the other QF gateways and a Y seat on QF, instead of reporting no J awards.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:35 pm

Unhappy Misleading Award Travel

My itinerary is
YLW - RSW
This is a multi segment route
YLW-SEA - always in Coach as it is a prop plane
SEA - RSW has numerous options - 2 segments or 3 segments but only 1 of 2 or 1 of 3 is in first class. The final segment to RSW is always in Coach
I used to be able to go from SEA to RSW in 2 segments both in First. Now it's not available.
What a rip off!

Travel is in late Oct/17 early Nov/17
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:51 pm

My itinerary is
YLW - RSW
This is a multi segment route
YLW-SEA - always in Coach as it is a prop plane
SEA - RSW has numerous options - 2 segments or 3 segments but only 1 of 2 or 1 of 3 is in first class. The final segment to RSW is always in Coach
I used to be able to go from SEA to RSW in 2 segments both in First. Now it's not available.
What a rip off!

Travel is in late Oct/17 early Nov/17
Unfortunately I think the best advice here is to use another service to search. The AA search by month functionality is great, but if it isn't working I suggest searching via the BA website for a free option, or expertflyer.com if you feel like paying some cash for more functionality. There are other services out there also, like Awardnexus, though I'm not as familiar with their offerings.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:55 pm

For what it's worth, I very quickly found availability via SEA and DFW, and SEA and CLT, for October 26th using Expertflyer, but nothing else around that date. Jump on it!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Interesting. I often see itineraries where segments are in a different cabin because the requested cabin simply doesn't exist on the aircraft, but this is a whole different animal. I looked at YLW-RSW for this month, and 12/18 & 12/19 come up on the calendar as "30K" Business Saaver, but all of the final CLT-RSW and PHL-RSW segments are in coach even though they're on A320s. I don't think it used to be this way, and it certainly cuts into the utility of the calendar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.