Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:21 pm

I'm in need of some help here. I am EXP with a no-status companion on a separate PNR. I had the reservations linked. At t-100, I received an upgrade but my companion did not. I called AA to make sure my companion had been linked correctly and the rep. assured me that it was done right. I then asked why my companion had not been upgraded at the same time, and the rep. checked to see if upgrade space was available. She said there was space available, and that I would just have to wait for it to happen, which did not seem right to me. I also asked if the upgrade could be pushed through, and she said "no." Is this a HUCA situation? Any reason why my companion would not have been upgraded at t-100 as well if (1) space is available, and (2) the reservations were properly linked?

Edit: I have a sufficient number of 500-mile stickers in my account.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I see no plausible reason why your companion shouldn't have been upgraded along with you if everything is as you stated. I would say HUCA.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ceebee100
I see no plausible reason why your companion shouldn't have been upgraded along with you if everything is as you stated. I would say HUCA.
+1
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Any reason why my companion would not have been upgraded at t-100 as well if (1) space is available, and (2) the reservations were properly linked?
One reason might have been that the agent who set it up did it as a "split" so that if only 1 seat was available, it would just do you.

But sounds odd. Personally I would send a DM on Twitter rather than calling. They are really good at setting up companion upgrades.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
Upgrade Priority with companion

AA Exec platinum traveling on rev with a companion on the same PNR.

Will they have the same upgrade priority as me? If so it's just Concierge Key, then a dogfight to whomever has the most LPs? If somehow that is tied then it will go down the list by rev bucket, time booked etc.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You are correct. I had my No Status daughter with me on a flight 2 weeks ago and she inherited my upgrade priority. We were 1 & 2 on the list out of 15+ and we both cleared.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by ambush276
AA Exec platinum traveling on rev with a companion on the same PNR.

Will they have the same upgrade priority as me? If so it's just Concierge Key, then a dogfight to whomever has the most LPs? If somehow that is tied then it will go down the list by rev bucket, time booked etc.
Correct, only issue will be if there is only one open seat. If that's the case you will be skipped and it will go to the first "single" traveller.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Correct, only issue will be if there is only one open seat. If that's the case you will be skipped and it will go to the first "single" traveller.
I am on a flight late next month with a non-status companion. I called AA last night about something unrelated and asked to be sure that we got the one seat if there was only one, and the AAgent made it sound like that was automatic.

I'm EXP but it's an award ticket which I think puts me below all other EXP's regardless of rolling 12-month whatever, but above any lower status.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Apparently they split it so one person can get upgraded. Happened to me and companion, only 1 seat available, we were #1 and #2 and I got it.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Apparently they split it so one person can get upgraded. Happened to me and companion, only 1 seat available, we were #1 and #2 and I got it.
Must be something new. In the past that wasn’t the case.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Interesting, so no status matches the status of the companion with status, but if both people are elites, they are ordered by status. (in my recent experiences, my wife, a gold, was well below me in the upgrade display) That doesn't make sense. For the record, this was DFW-FLL March 24, and PBI- DFW on April 3

​​​​​
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mvoight
Interesting, so no status matches the status of the companion with status, but if both people are elites, they are ordered by status. (in my recent experiences, my wife, a gold, was well below me in the upgrade display) That doesn't make sense. For the record, this was DFW-FLL March 24, and PBI- DFW on April 3

​​​​​
That is correct and the way it has been for years, but agree it doesn't make sense.

When traveling with 2 elites you just have to call AA before and have the request set up such that the lower elite leverages the higher status on the airport waitlist (which requires all stickers come from the higher elite account, soon to be a moot point).

You can also do this at the airport although some "busy" GA's don't want to mess with it.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Same here, in December while traveling with daughter was offered the one upgrade (I could pick who got it or refuse it...daughter was happy!)
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:18 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Is below an accurate summary?
trying to wrap my head around the best way to deal with P2 (non-elite)

If booked same PNR:
Elite + non-elite = next to each other on UG list, but will get skipped if there is only one seat released
Elite + elite = respective locations on UG list and will upgrade one-by-one

Separate PNR:
Elite + non-elite = next to each other on UG list, but will upgrade one-by-one
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Is below an accurate summary?
Separate PNR:
Elite + non-elite = next to each other on UG list, but will upgrade one-by-one
I have this situation coming up next week. Flying with my brother who has no status. When I called and got our PNRs tied she asked if I wanted the UG listed as a split or non-split. I told her to list it as non-split since J is wide open currently (10/12 seats showing free) and EF is showing J7. I'm also not overly concerned if we don't get the UG as its about a 45 min flight on a 175 and beverages are back for MCE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.