Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread contains posts made prior to new upgrade and companion policies introduced 20 May 2017.

For the current thread, please see Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Original Title: Best strategy for upgrading with a companion?

Will shortly reach EXP and Plat respectively. For domestic upgrades, do we do best to stay on a single record and attempt to upgrade at 100 hours, or is it best to separate the 2 records? I know that with NW/DL, we were often passed over if only a single upgrade seat was available when the computer ran. We had better luck in separating the records, (but then we were both Plat on NW).

So the question is: when the computer upgrade process runs will we be passed over if only a single X space is available?

Last edited by dstan; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:06 am Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Yes, you can get passed up if only one X/R space opens up. But the good thing with AA is that when you separate the two upgrades, you can both still have the EXP priority. It may just every once in awhile I might be up front and one in the back.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
But the good thing with AA is that when you separate the two upgrades, you can both still have the EXP priority.
Someone posted elsewhere that, when the records are split, the EXP priority for the companion is not retained. As we're both EXP, I really haven't tracked this, but there does seem to be some doubt.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brp
Someone posted elsewhere that, when the records are split, the EXP priority for the companion is not retained. As we're both EXP, I really haven't tracked this, but there does seem to be some doubt.

Cheers.
Hmm interesting, because I did a split with my non-elite companion last weekend, and both cleared at 100hrs, but again, I don't know what the EXP agent did behind the scene. Although the EXP agent warn that don't phone into the phone auto-upgrade system to check as that screws everything up. How does it work for you brp, you are one that usually on the AA board that travels with a companion most of the time? I certainly don't have companions very often.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
When I have split records for a lower-status companion, they have retained my status. However, I was told by an EXP agent that if we were split and the flight went X1 then I would get the upgrade and at that time my companion would remain on the list but lose my status.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Based on these replies we will try separating the records for the first few trips and see how it goes.

Of course this would all be simplified if AA would only release X space inventory numbers to Expert Flyer, but I guess that would make it too easy.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
By far the best strategy is to only fly with companions who have EXP status.

Seriously, though, we haven't had any trouble splitting records and both receiving highest status. There have been some irregularities related to whose stickers are deducted. That seems random.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janetdoe
By far the best strategy is to only fly with companions who have EXP status.

Seriously, though, we haven't had any trouble splitting records and both receiving highest status.

There have been some irregularities related to whose stickers are deducted. That seems random.
Or even IF they are deducted for the companion's flight
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Hmm interesting, because I did a split with my non-elite companion last weekend, and both cleared at 100hrs, but again, I don't know what the EXP agent did behind the scene. Although the EXP agent warn that don't phone into the phone auto-upgrade system to check as that screws everything up. How does it work for you brp, you are one that usually on the AA board that travels with a companion most of the time? I certainly don't have companions very often.
Would you please explain what you mean by this (Although the EXP agent warn that don't phone into the phone auto-upgrade system to check as that screws everything up)
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When I've flown with my wife and/or son, they've been on separate PNRs. I've called to link the PNRs. The agents have always asked whether I wanted to accept a single upgrade if only one became available. When I've done that sometimes, I was upgraded before my companion. But they always received an upgrade before other elites, and they have no status.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lexkid
Would you please explain what you mean by this (Although the EXP agent warn that don't phone into the phone auto-upgrade system to check as that screws everything up)
I think the agent have to do something out of the ordinary which the phone system(ordinary situation) is supposed to do. So they said just check online through your account and not through your phone.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Question about Companion Upgrades

Hello Everyone, I have been reading around the board here for a long time and have finally decided to join to ask for insight on the following issue.

I am an EXP and I have had the following experience when requesting 500 mile upgrades for my companions:

Flight SJU-MIA some time 2 years ago:
I am upgraded with plenty of time untill the flight but my companion is not upgraded, I call the EXP Desk 2 or 3 times a day all the way until the day of departure to request a "push through" but nothing. On the date of departure I go to check in my companion on the self service kiosk and he is offered the upgrade at the kiost with a credit card for a price that comes out to $45 per 500 mile segment. I go up to the counter and ask if the upgrade can be deducted from the stickers in my account and after the agent tryied for a while he told me the system did not allow him because it was a different inventory. I understand that it is a different inventory but how is this inventory available before the upgrade inventory is available for elite passangers (X or R).

Flight MIA SJU sometime Last Year:
Again I am upgraded right around the 100 hour window but my companion is not. I check EF and there is plenty of seats all the way until departure but typical AA they are holding back the R upgrade inventory. I checked again about 4 hours prior to the flight (From previous flight experience between 4 and 3 hours left to the flight they release plenty of upgrade seats before it goes to airport control) and there was a total of 7 seats in J. I go to the airport confident that my companion will get the upgrade, I arrive at the airport and I was told that business class was sold out. I found it very strange so I requested to please get information on how this was possible and I was told different stories but one agent at the EXP desk looked it up for me and she confirmed that some R inventory was released and some platinums were confirmed ahead of my companion. I asked how is it possible that there was a gap between me and my companion and the agent had no idea.

Flight SFO to DFW Today:
I got conifrmed at about 100 hours and there was about 13 seats in F a bit prior to the 100 hour mark. After the 100 hour mark I got confirmed but my companion did not and the inventory went down to 8 in F (As expected in a DFW flight). I have been calling multiple times a day for a "push through" for my companion and there has been no help. There is about 5 hours left to the flight there is now 4 seats in F. I am starting to wonder what is happening when i request a companion, as I am a bit skeptical that again some upgrades have been confirmed between me and my companion.

Flight from MIA to SFO 1/28:
I got confirmed this morning right at the 100 hour mark but again guess what my companion was not!!! I call the EXP desk as it is a 763 with EF showing
F7 Z7 A7 and judging by the seat map there seems to be about 13 seats left and the agent was able to "push through" my companion. I asked the agent how come if X inventory was available why my companion was not automatically upgraded and she again had no explanation but she told me that there seems to be a problem in the system and they are working on it..

All these upgrades were 500 mile upgrades requested "split". I understand that i take the risk of one being upgraded and the other one isnt but isnt the companion supposed to come right after me on the list??? Anyone else have this experience??

Thanks in Advance
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Carlos019
All these upgrades were 500 mile upgrades requested "split". I understand that i take the risk of one being upgraded and the other one isnt but isnt the companion supposed to come right after me on the list??? Anyone else have this experience??

Thanks in Advance
When you split the upgrade request, you lose status linking as well, as it should be. Linking is linking, for both the upgrades and the status. If you want to un-link, they are not tied to your status.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Allthough i have been told repeatedly by the EXP desk that my companion gets my status on the PALL list. I think you are correct. It is the only explanation for there being upgrades confirmed between me and my companion. But then that does not explain how sometimes I am succesful at confirming my companion (NON EXP) at the 100 hour mark.

I have discussed with EXP agents before whether to get a split and no-split and they have themselves advised against doing a no split because sometimes X inventory is released one at a time and that can cause EXP's with a later time stamp to pass me or lower status passangers on a no split.

Either way I am going to start trying no splits and see how it goes.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: EXP (AA), Diamond (HH), National Executive Elite
When an EXP topic arises, as a mere PLT I adhere to the maxim that "children should be seen and not heard," thus I never weigh-in. Until now, that is.

I believe what happens with a split vs. not splitting is the following: If not split, you and your companion receive the upgrade at the same time. Perhaps however not as quick as you are accustomed and only after the AA, algorithmic process determines that other status members will not be disadvantaged because of your non-status companion receiving an upgrade.

In those instances in which an upgrade goes through for both you and your companion at the same time, let’s say the 100 hour mark, the AA algorithm has estimated that potential revenue tickets as well as other EXP, PLT and GLD upgrade requests will be met based on the available inventory. As a result, you are simultaneously upgraded to F cabin.

If you split, you get the benefit of your EXP status and an early upgrade to first. Your traveling companion must wait if the above conditions have not yet been met.

I think I got that right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.