Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I have this exact same question.
The PNR with no-status companion does not show the upgrade as "requested". Not sure if this is normal or not? Does anyone know?
My experience is that the companion's PNR did not show the upgrade as requested.
aisleorwindow and AAway like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you call AA to request the upgrades, it's up to you to tell the agent if you're ok to split or not.
I don't know about this! I'm EXP and my wife has no status. I thought for us to get upgraded separately when there is only one seat released is by splitting and then linking PNR, either by calling or chating with an agent.

Are you suggesting we can get comp upgrade separately without splitting PNR?

Thanks for the information!
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if you can still "link" (TCP note) two separate PNRs on the same flight if one of them was purchased with cash and one with miles? Has anyone managed to successfully do that?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Martellus
Does anyone know if you can still "link" (TCP note) two separate PNRs on the same flight if one of them was purchased with cash and one with miles? Has anyone managed to successfully do that?
Yes, paid vs. award doesn't matter.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
EXP and companion were upgraded at T-100 for their first flight. The second flight looks like there is only 1-2 seats available.

Is there any problem for the EXP to split the PNR without affecting the companion that has been upgraded for the first segment? The purpose would be for the EXP to have a better chance of gettign a single available seat available on teh second segment.

Baggage question:

EXP allowance is three 50 pound bags
First class allowance is two 70 pound bags

For an EXP who is upgraded to first is the allotment two 70 pound bags plus one 50 pound bag, or three 70 pound bags?
Don’t EXPs get 3 bags at 70 pounds, so first or economy/coach wouldn’t matter?

Last edited by Perdita; Jul 23, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have an int'l reservation for me + 1 companion with SWUs requested; I'll likely need to cancel my flight/split the PNR, but my companion will not. If our SWUs clear before I split the PNR, would my companion retain their confirmed SWU?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by potus18
I have an int'l reservation for me + 1 companion with SWUs requested; I'll likely need to cancel my flight/split the PNR, but my companion will not. If our SWUs clear before I split the PNR, would my companion retain their confirmed SWU?
Of course.
potus18 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Linking PNRs for Upgrade Priority

I am EXP, niece is Gold.
We are meeting at LGA and traveling onward together.
All travel on separate PNRs.
Any possibility of linking PNRs so she can use my EXP status for upgrade priority?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Yes, I've done this many times. Call in or message AA on Twitter and provide them with your PNRs and they'll be able to do it on the leg you are flying together.
Avoid the in-app chat to do this. They've screwed it up a few times for me, whereas Twitter and the phone agents have done a much better job.
HofstraJet, wrp96 and meechyathere like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Cannot see Complimentary upgrade-req for cross-ref

My wife and I have separate reservations for same domestic flight in Economy. I am Plat, she has no status.
I called AA to do a cross-ref, so I can get her an MCE seat.
The cross-ref was successful because I could get into her AA acct and select an MCE seat for free. Before it showed $ signs on MCE seats.
BUT I do not see for her a Complimentary Upgrade Req. I called AA and agent said: I see it, I do not know why you don't.
Any special tricks so I can also see it?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Me + companion travelling separate PNRs. Had Twitter agents link us with split. I cleared just now, but companion (no status) is still in Y -- as expected.

Does my status / priority still carry over to his upgrade position on the list? I.e. assuming I was the last to be upgraded by the auto-clear, is he next in line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.