Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ckendall
This is ridiculous. I am EXP and travelling partner is a newly minted GLD (no stickers). We are flying to Chicago and get upgraded. I cannot check in (not enough stickers in my account) despite my 25+ stickers. So I call and get told they will call back in a half hour. The call back guy (web services) tells me to check in separately (no such option on the app) so I should try via the web. I later try on the web and still no such option. I call back and after 20 minutes on hold am told that they will call me back.

Why is this hard?
Assuming you're on the same PNR, then your traveling partner needs the stickers in their account, that is the issue. With no prior intervention, when 2 elites are on the same PNR and get upgraded it will try to pull stickers from each individual account.

If you want to pull all the stickers from your account, then its probably easiest at this point to just check in at the airport, where you can instruct the agent to do just that.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Assuming you're on the same PNR, then your traveling partner needs the stickers in their account, that is the issue. With no prior intervention, when 2 elites are on the same PNR and get upgraded it will try to pull stickers from each individual account.

If you want to pull all the stickers from your account, then its probably easiest at this point to just check in at the airport, where you can instruct the agent to do just that.
Thanks; I understand the default (try to pull from each account) but do not understand why it takes so much effort over the phone (and through the app/web) to pull stickers from one account.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckendall
Thanks; I understand the default (try to pull from each account) but do not understand why it takes so much effort over the phone (and through the app/web) to pull stickers from one account.
It definitely requires a call, however in the future I would just call the normal reservations number as they can easily set it up (as opposed to web services).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It definitely requires a call, however in the future I would just call the normal reservations number as they can easily set it up (as opposed to web services).
A final call to a regular agent (following a call with a promised call back that never happened) told me there was nothing that could be done over the phone and I would have to do it at the airport. I will stand in line at the airport to try to get my BP.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
For the first time, I’ll be traveling with a PPro as my companion. If I link him to my PNR for upgrade purposes, will the stickers be deducted from my (EXP) account considering he is a also entitled to complimentary domestic upgrades as a PPro?
How did this work out for you? I'm just now encountering this for the first time.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by logicalrealist
How did this work out for you? I'm just now encountering this for the first time.
He cleared using my EXP status (at ~T-100) but no stickers were deducted. I did confirm at check-in that the upgrade sticker requirement (in this case, zero) was tied to his account. Granted this was over a year ago now, but I have no reason to believe anything has changed.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
My wife (Platinum) and I (Platinum Pro) have run into the problem of being split on the airport list several times, and have had GAs explicitly refuse to fix it. Very annoying. Since she almost never flies AA without me, I'm thinking it would actually be better for her to not re-qualify for AA status at all.

We're taking a trip this month that would get her to Gold, but I'm thinking of having her credit that trip to BA instead. That would make her BA Bronze and possibly allow her to get to Silver in the next year. That same trip will push me to EXP, so when we fly AA together she'll get upgrade priority based on my status, and presumably we won't have any airport list issues since she'll have no status on AA (though would be OW Ruby). Anyone know of a reason that wouldn't work?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcain
My wife (Platinum) and I (Platinum Pro) have run into the problem of being split on the airport list several times, and have had GAs explicitly refuse to fix it. Very annoying. Since she almost never flies AA without me, I'm thinking it would actually be better for her to not re-qualify for AA status at all.

We're taking a trip this month that would get her to Gold, but I'm thinking of having her credit that trip to BA instead. That would make her BA Bronze and possibly allow her to get to Silver in the next year. That same trip will push me to EXP, so when we fly AA together she'll get upgrade priority based on my status, and presumably we won't have any airport list issues since she'll have no status on AA (though would be OW Ruby). Anyone know of a reason that wouldn't work?
This is standard protocol, if you're traveling with a companion that has a different status, then you are sorted separately by each individual status on the airport waitlist. Doesn't matter if you're on one PNR or separate PNRs.

I'm EXP and my gf is PLT, we run into this all the time. You can fix it so that both of you are together by the highest status, but it requires a call to AA, or getting a helpful agent at the airport.

The process is essentially the following: 1) the agent completely removes the companion's AA# and upgrade request, 2) agent re-requests the companion upgrade based on your (highest) status, 3) agent adds back companion's AA#. In order to use the highest status like this for both of you then all stickers must come from your account.

I typically call AA to set it up this way or ask in the AC if it's gone to the airport, it definitely requires a knowledgable agent and a bit of typing. As with a lot of things GA's are totally hit or miss.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I recall that what is shown on the monitors is based on status but may not be the order in which you clear, due precisely to companions with lower status.

Are you saying that you have had instances where the higher-status person clears and the lower-status person does not?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:48 pm

If I'm gold my partner is nothing and I use 500 stickers to upgrade myself, will my partner lose all gold benefits of seats and free bags?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
What happens when 2 EXP travel togther on the same reservation.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Originally Posted by Ijones027
If I'm gold my partner is nothing and I use 500 stickers to upgrade myself, will my partner lose all gold benefits of seats and free bags?
I have the same question. I had a reservation with 3 people, and I called to get me and one other on the upgrade list. Now my PNR only has me and that companion. The third in on another PNR. We would have all had a checked bag benefit but now is that limited to me and only one companion?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EP
Per .com it say the “same. Reservation”.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp

Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
I have the same question. I had a reservation with 3 people, and I called to get me and one other on the upgrade list. Now my PNR only has me and that companion. The third in on another PNR. We would have all had a checked bag benefit but now is that limited to me and only one companion?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Per .com it say the “same. Reservation”.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp
It WAS the same reservation when booked. Should splitting it to get on the upgrade list reduce the benefits we would have otherwise had? I guess the solution would be to wait until checking bags at the counter to get on the list.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
It WAS the same reservation when booked. Should splitting it to get on the upgrade list reduce the benefits we would have otherwise had? I guess the solution would be to wait until checking bags at the counter to get on the list.
Yes, this is always the trade off when splitting the PNR for upgrade purposes like this. If your party is going to have lots of checked bags it's certainly something to consider.

The problem with waiting until after you check-in is of course that you would miss out on any potential upgrades that AA clears before the gate.

The usual question is, how many bags is your group planning to check, and can you not check them all under your and your same PNR companion's name?
ZonaFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.