Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
a bit different scenario for a planned trip for myself (EXP) and wife and son in February, no tickets booked yet, wanting to use SWU's:

2 C-seats are available now at booking. What is the best strategy? I am thinking making 2 different bookings. First one for my wife and son and confirm and clear the SWU's for them. Then another booking for myself and have myself waitlisted. Is this the best and simplest way to do it? appreciating the fact that my SWU may not clear (it is LHR-JFK, both ways have 2 C-seats available now).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by janwillem
a bit different scenario for a planned trip for myself (EXP) and wife and son in February, no tickets booked yet, wanting to use SWU's:

2 C-seats are available now at booking. What is the best strategy? I am thinking making 2 different bookings. First one for my wife and son and confirm and clear the SWU's for them. Then another booking for myself and have myself waitlisted. Is this the best and simplest way to do it? appreciating the fact that my SWU may not clear (it is LHR-JFK, both ways have 2 C-seats available now).
Yes, do grab whatever is available now! Waiting for three seats to open up may not work. Also, you might luck out when talking with the EXP AAgent, they may contact RM to see if a third seat can be opened up (they used to do this, not sure about now). Also, you will higher on the request list and more likely to clear before the flight.

Keep in mind, it won't matter much who sits where, so if your son is old enough to sit by himself, it might be a treat for him to take the Y seat when boarding.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
excellent, so that is what I shall do. My son will be 6 years old so no sitting alone in Y for him but my guess is my upgrade will clear, Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:09 am

companion ticket question

Hello,

I will be taking an extended business trip and my wife will be joining me mid-trip. We will then be flying home together.

Is there a way to link our return flight together so that we can seat together and/or if I get upgrade, she will as well (I'm platinum, she has no status)?

I've asked customer service but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would ask here too.

thanks,
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
Hello,

I will be taking an extended business trip and my wife will be joining me mid-trip. We will then be flying home together.

Is there a way to link our return flight together so that we can seat together and/or if I get upgrade, she will as well (I'm platinum, she has no status)?

I've asked customer service but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would ask here too.
If you call AA, they can get her seated next to you and request an upgrade for her as your companion.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Helpful Twitter Agent Taught me Something New: Companion upgrades on separate locator

I didn't know AA allows elites to upgrade companions on separate locators!

Story: My friend (no status) and I were booked on separate revenue reservations. I tweeted the AA handle to add notes to "complete party" and seat my buddy beside me in MCE (waiving the extra fee). The thread took an interesting term when the agent proactively offered to add my friend on the upgrade list. I was confused (didn't think it was possible) and asked if the agent was mistaken. Agent confidently confirmed that companion would be added to upgrade list and take my status until check-in at the airport, whereby upgrade list will be based upon companion's status (again, my buddy has no status). I accepted, and the image below is what shows in my companion's summary on the AA webpage. Notice type of upgrade is "Not offered"

This is a great IT enhancement if true!!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by sudden729; May 11, 2017 at 7:57 am Reason: Accurately reflects already known knowledge
Old May 10, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is not new. I have done this for years.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
This is not new. I have done this for years.
+1
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NOTE: as the new upgrades priority policy came into effect 20 May 2017, and new policy applicable to companions did as well, the older obsolete posts have been archived.

Please be sure to read the Wikipost for information on both new policies; it has been extensively revised.

Thank you,

/AA Moderation team

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Was searching for my situation but couldn't find anything that matched so I thought I would bump up this old thread. Forgive me if the answer is already out there.

I have a flight coming up DFW/CLT where I holding a paid ticket in F (no upgrade). My wife booked a trip after i did in Y but on the same DFW/CLT outbound flight. This is the first flight of a multi-flight itinerary for both of us, but this is the only flight we have together. She has no status on AA so when she is with me I use 500 mile stickers to upgrade up both from Y to F. In this case, I am already in F without any type of an upgrade attached. I know being in different PNR's doesn't make a difference, but what about the fact that I am not upgrading to F but bought the ticket outright? Can I still use stickers to upgrade her?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JeffD
Was searching for my situation but couldn't find anything that matched so I thought I would bump up this old thread. Forgive me if the answer is already out there.

I have a flight coming up DFW/CLT where I holding a paid ticket in F (no upgrade). My wife booked a trip after i did in Y but on the same DFW/CLT outbound flight. This is the first flight of a multi-flight itinerary for both of us, but this is the only flight we have together. She has no status on AA so when she is with me I use 500 mile stickers to upgrade up both from Y to F. In this case, I am already in F without any type of an upgrade attached. I know being in different PNR's doesn't make a difference, but what about the fact that I am not upgrading to F but bought the ticket outright? Can I still use stickers to upgrade her?

Thanks.
Rather than the "old thread", we have merged your question here, in the current "companion" thread.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of this thread for separate PNR issues; it's explained very explicitly there. Otherwise, I've never had problems upgrading a companion when I've had an F ticket and upgraded someone with a Coach ticket and we meet the parameters explained in the Wikipost. Even when I chose a companion (WW II or disabled veteran) at the gate - they immediately jumped to #1 on the list (obviously, no EP was snookered AFAIK, but Plat etc. were).

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
question on upgrade priority and EXP companion upgrade

Reading up the new AA upgrade priority and it goes like this.
Type of upgrade / 12-month Rolling EQDs / Booking code / Date and time of request.
If we're comparing 12-month rolling EQD, there is ALWAYS a winner and loser, I can't believe there will be two person on the same upgrade list with the actual spent to the dollar and cents, so what's the point of last two criteria? Does it mean we shouldn't have to worry the booking class?

The new benefit for an EXP to upgrade a companion, paid and award. It says I'll need to use 500-miles upgrade, but as an EXP there's no way for me to earn them. How does it work actually?

Thanks for helping.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greasy
Type of upgrade / 12-month Rolling EQDs / Booking code / Date and time of request.
If we're comparing 12-month rolling EQD, there is ALWAYS a winner and loser, I can't believe there will be two person on the same upgrade list with the actual spent to the dollar and cents, so what's the point of last two criteria? Does it mean we shouldn't have to worry the booking class?

The new benefit for an EXP to upgrade a companion, paid and award. It says I'll need to use 500-miles upgrade, but as an EXP there's no way for me to earn them. How does it work actually?

Thanks for helping.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...20-2017-a.html

2. You buy them.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
1. You're correct, but they had to have a tie breaker just in case.

2. You would need to purchase them.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by greasy

Thanks for helping.
1) It's nothing more then a set of tiebreakers in the rare occurrence that there is a tie. Ever go to a youth sports tournament? There's like 5 or 6 tiebreakers, usually coming down to a coin flip for the very last. Unlikely, sure, but it's the criteria.

2)You buy them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.