Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by greasy
Reading up the new AA upgrade priority and it goes like this.
Type of upgrade / 12-month Rolling EQDs / Booking code / Date and time of request.
If we're comparing 12-month rolling EQD, there is ALWAYS a winner and loser, I can't believe there will be two person on the same upgrade list with the actual spent to the dollar and cents, so what's the point of last two criteria? Does it mean we shouldn't have to worry the booking class?

The new benefit for an EXP to upgrade a companion, paid and award. It says I'll need to use 500-miles upgrade, but as an EXP there's no way for me to earn them. How does it work actually?

Thanks for helping.
When you need 500 mile upgrades to update companions and you have none, you'll need to buy them.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page in this extant and current thread. Please search prior to starting new threads; this reduces information fragmentation and respects the members who have added and updated information. Advanced Search thread Titles only, return as Threads, key word companion.

Thank you,

/Moderator
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I do this often with my son and friends, this is my experience.

100% of the time on DOMESTIC booked in Coach, if we are on separate PNR's i "link" us and they get my level of status until the 4 hour window, then they drop to their own status.

100% of the time on International booked in Coach, if we are on separate PNR's, I "link" us and they get my level of status until the 4 hour window, then they drop to their own.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I don't know if this has been covered but I've searched around for it but couldn't find an answer.

My parents and I are traveling in one PNR. From my reservations, it says that complimentary upgrades aren't available (travel is about 2 weeks from today). If I have 3 people in my PNR (and I am the only EXP/elite), will I get upgraded using my UDU whilst my parents remain in MCE (assuming R/X is available) or will all of us be in MCE because there are 3 of us in the same PNR (I will give the upgraded seat to my mom of course). I am also not planning to buy stickers and my dad and I are fine with MCE.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by nov11
I don't know if this has been covered but I've searched around for it but couldn't find an answer.

My parents and I are traveling in one PNR. From my reservations, it says that complimentary upgrades aren't available (travel is about 2 weeks from today). If I have 3 people in my PNR (and I am the only EXP/elite), will I get upgraded using my UDU whilst my parents remain in MCE (assuming R/X is available) or will all of us be in MCE because there are 3 of us in the same PNR (I will give the upgraded seat to my mom of course). I am also not planning to buy stickers and my dad and I are fine with MCE.
You won't be waitlisted for an upgrade with three people on your PNR, but I believe you can put in a request for an upgrade for you and a companion, and they will split your PNR's so either 1 or 2 will be eligible for upgrades. If you go for 2 people, the second person's upgrades would require stickers, but if you only put yourself in the running, no stickers would be required as an EXP.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by chitink
1. You're correct, but they had to have a tie breaker just in case.
Requirement for a tie-breaker beyond EQD is very much a necessity. Definite possibility of lifetime status folks who could have $0 12 month spend in competition for upgrades with each other.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by josmul123
You won't be waitlisted for an upgrade with three people on your PNR, but I believe you can put in a request for an upgrade for you and a companion, and they will split your PNR's so either 1 or 2 will be eligible for upgrades. If you go for 2 people, the second person's upgrades would require stickers, but if you only put yourself in the running, no stickers would be required as an EXP.
Awesome! Thank you!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Question Can't check in if you are sponsoring a companion upgrade?

I am an EXP traveling with a non-status passenger and requested upgrades for both of us. They cleared at T-24 but when trying to check in I get a message that there are not enough 500-mile upgrades in the account to process and to see an airport agent or kiosk. I have 40 of these in my account and we are on the same PNR. I reached out to AA on twitter and they said they would have to remove me from the list in order to get the stickers from my account and it would be better to have airport personnel handle.

Is this for real? There's no way to check in if you are sponsoring upgrades for another pax in your PNR? Seems crazy.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
This matches my experience over the years (and as recently as 2 weeks ago at DCA). If your companion had stickers in their account it wouldn't be an issue. You'll need to have an agent at the airport check you in so that they can set it up to have the 500 mi upgrades pulled from your account. Not ideal, nor the best use of a check-in agent's time, but that's how it works.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:21 pm

About 1 month ago, I had the exact same problem. We could not get it rectified by phone. After arriving at airport, the Admirals Club angel fixed it, and we both got upgraded. It never happened on previous trips, and it didn't happen on a subsequent trip.

After reading posts of daslax and FlyerBeek, it is obvious that my experience was not an isolated incident. AA needs to fix this software bug.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
One thing to try that I've found works in such a situation is check in on the app itself not the web.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
One thing to try that I've found works in such a situation is check in on the app itself not the web.
That's good to know. I know I've been unsuccessful in using the app when checking in an upgraded companion without stickers, so maybe they have actually partially fixed this bug (in the app, at least).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:16 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Funny enough, I've had the opposite experience with this precise scenario (app throws and error that companion doesn't have enough e500s, website works just fine).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Companion Benefits Question

My brother and I flew on two separate round-trip tickets from DFW-VPS-DFW.
I had AA cross-reference our PNRs and requested upgrades for both of us.
Upgrades for the return have already cleared.

I have to be in NYC on Thursday so I am now flying VPS-CLT-LGA on a different ticket booked by my company.

If I cancel my PNR for the return of VPS-DFW will my brother lose the upgrade since it already cleared? Am I better off just no-showing the flight?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I was traveling with my non-status brother who got upgraded a few hours prior to departure. He was unable to check in until I checked in, but once I checked in, he was able to do so without incident. The sticker came out of my account as expected.

This was about a week ago. I guess YMMV?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by nitrobass24
My brother and I flew on two separate round-trip tickets from DFW-VPS-DFW.
I had AA cross-reference our PNRs and requested upgrades for both of us.
Upgrades for the return have already cleared.

I have to be in NYC on Thursday so I am now flying VPS-CLT-LGA on a different ticket booked by my company.

If I cancel my PNR for the return of VPS-DFW will my brother lose the upgrade since it already cleared? Am I better off just no-showing the flight?
In my experience, when my companion was upgraded on a separate PNR, he wasn't able to check in for the flight until I checked in. Your brother might be put in that position unless you check in first. Since the stickers have to come out of your account, my assumption is you at least have to check in for the upgrade to stick. Checking in and no-showing might be an option, though it's probably not very honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.