Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

7/27:

AA588 DSM-PHX: Excellent service and full PDB.
AA1431 PHX-SEA: No PDB offered at all, even with a 10 minute delay at the gate to fix a seat in coach. Didn't even acknowledge the first class cabin until beverage service.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by shimps1
7/27:

AA588 DSM-PHX: Excellent service and full PDB.
AA1431 PHX-SEA: No PDB offered at all, even with a 10 minute delay at the gate to fix a seat in coach. Didn't even acknowledge the first class cabin until beverage service.
I avoid any LAA flying out of PHX.....the FA's seem to be the pits
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I avoid any LAA flying out of PHX.....the FA's seem to be the pits
A water PDB service if you're lucky IME... so the response is "Actually, I'll have a ..."
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
7/25 DFW-ASE - Skywest CR7 - PDB of choice!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by shimps1
Sometimes it's the non-verbal cues which are most effective.

When I witness Flight Attendants that "text and talk" in the galley instead of greeting passengers and serving PDB's, my newspaper instantly goes up when I'm asked on the plane to "kindly put down your electronic device during the safety demonstration".

How about earning that pay raise y'all just got?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
7/27: Flight# 0614 SJC-PHX LUS - Full PDB Choice even though flight arrived 1.5 hours late from PHX (quick 35 min turn with deplaning and boarding ^).

Spoke to FC FA and he confirmed the handbook states PDB service - He also stated that I must be referring to the LAAzy FA's who do the bare minimum.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Plat... Others as well
That's it. I've read this forum for a long time and sat quiet. I just created an account to voice my frustration in the inconsistency with the PDBs and the FAs in general. On 2666 DFW to TPA in F row 6. PDB offered after the door closed to the rows 3 and 4. No apology to rows 5 and 6. One person asked and they said there was no time for a drink for rows 5 and 6. Exactly 1 hour into the flight I was finally served a drink in row 6 (after most of coach already has a drink). The FA in F is just lazy. Embarrassing for AA in the lack of consistency and events like this are why I'll leave for another airline or look into Netjet etc. as we grow.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by travelingallthetime
That's it. I've read this forum for a long time and sat quiet. I just created an account to voice my frustration in the inconsistency with the PDBs and the FAs in general. On 2666 DFW to TPA in F row 6. PDB offered after the door closed to the rows 3 and 4. No apology to rows 5 and 6. One person asked and they said there was no time for a drink for rows 5 and 6. Exactly 1 hour into the flight I was finally served a drink in row 6 (after most of coach already has a drink). The FA in F is just lazy. Embarrassing for AA in the lack of consistency and events like this are why I'll leave for another airline or look into Netjet etc. as we grow.
PDBs should not be offered after the door is closed, according to FARs, which I'm sure you are aware. Please contact AA through the "Contact us" link.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by skylady
PDBs should not be offered after the door is closed, according to FARs, which I'm sure you are aware. Please contact AA through the "Contact us" link.
Really? I've been offered PDBs a number of times after the door is closed. The glasses have been collected before takeoff.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
AA940 Standard J PBD, but the FA came through asking, "Would you like a Pre departure?" Very brusquely, I might add, but interesting that she used our terminology.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I just purchased my first ticket in AA in close to 20 years.......bought it in first on a very short flight - MIA MCO, on a 767. Flight is a week from Monday. Can't wait to see what happens!

I'm expecting the worse.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I just purchased my first ticket in AA in close to 20 years.......bought it in first on a very short flight - MIA MCO, on a 767. Flight is a week from Monday. Can't wait to see what happens!

I'm expecting the worse.
PDBs on this route are very hit or miss. I would put it near a 50/50 probability. Depends on the crew, but the lAAzy ones will use the excuse of not being able to maneuver through the aisles on the 767 during boarding.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
2399 (SNA-PHX) on 28 July, no pre departure beverage at all (no water). but I did get to see FAs texting, eating food from the snack basket, and drinking the water that would have been lovely to have been drinking.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
AA220 (DFW - AMS) water and OJ only. Plausible excuse due to maintenance delay causing the boarding to be rushed.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
AA119 DFW-OGG. Champagne, mimosas or OJ. Happy to start this vacation with champagne, so didn't inquire further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.