Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Thank you! Very helpful and has been interesting reading.

I guess the biggest observation is that AA's SDC rules suck compared to UA. I didn't realize you can't even change connecting cities or segments.. that definitely reduces the use.

My biggest outstanding question (maybe I'm just not comprehending correctly) -is what benefit is there to trying to standby for a later flight? If I decide I want to fly out 2 hours later, I am just showing up late and missing my original confirmed flight, to hope for availability to get out? Is this even possible on a connecting itinerary? (ex. TPA-CLT-CLE)

I just see too much risk giving up a confirmed seat especially because all it takes is one flight to go IRROPS and every seat later in the day could get snagged. But maybe I'm just overthinking all of this..
The only thing I'll add to JDiver's answer is that you can't just no-show for your ticketed flight. You need to phone AA to let them know you intend to stand by for a later flight, otherwise they will cancel your ticket as a no-show.

Once you've done that, there's no need to show up at the airport until a comfortable time (e.g. 45-60 minutes) before your desired flight departure.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Is there a fee charged for redepositing AAdvantage mileage award tickets (for AA Platinum members)?

I'd like to change the time of my award ticket flight tomorrow (Christmas Eve), to take a later flight instead. Same-day flight changes never seem to be available at check-in, so I'd like to redeposit the miles and just book a new ticket before it's too late.

Will I be charged a $150 redeposit fee? I'm Platinum.

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Is there a fee charged for redepositing AAdvantage mileage award tickets (for AA Platinum members)?

I'd like to change the time of my award ticket flight tomorrow (Christmas Eve), to take a later flight instead. Same-day flight changes never seem to be available at check-in, so I'd like to redeposit the miles and just book a new ticket before it's too late.

Will I be charged a $150 redeposit fee? I'm Platinum.

Thanks.
Same day flight change is not available on award tickets. But if there is award space open on the later flight tomorrow, you can switch for no fee (assuming the origin and destination remain the same). Otherwise, if you just want to cancel your award ticket and redeposit the miles, then the $150 fee would apply. You need to call AA to do both of the above.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I wasn't able to check in online for my flight at 620AM tomorrow morning (SJC-LAX-NRT-TPE, last 2 flights on JAL, 001 stock) on the app due to my names not matching on the travel document. When I looked at my details, it was all messed up showing my first name and middle name swapped for some reason, I corrected it but I was still not able to check in, either on the app or on the website.

I called AA and they said I'd have to check in at the airport. 2 questions.

1. What is the cutoff time for checking in? (as in when will they close check in for my SJC-LAX flight?) I want to get as much sleep as I can.
2. Can I go today to the airport and get this sorted out at the check in counter? The phone rep said I can only check in on the same day. I don't necessarily want to check in today at the airport, I just want them to correct the name mismatch so I don't have issues tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA US
Has AA/OneWorld stopped updating their downloadable schedule? The data has seemed stale for several weeks.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I wasn't able to check in online for my flight at 620AM tomorrow morning (SJC-LAX-NRT-TPE, last 2 flights on JAL, 001 stock) on the app due to my names not matching on the travel document. When I looked at my details, it was all messed up showing my first name and middle name swapped for some reason, I corrected it but I was still not able to check in, either on the app or on the website.

1. What is the cutoff time for checking in? (as in when will they close check in for my SJC-LAX flight?) I want to get as much sleep as I can.
2. Can I go today to the airport and get this sorted out at the check in counter? The phone rep said I can only check in on the same day. I don't necessarily want to check in today at the airport, I just want them to correct the name mismatch so I don't have issues tomorrow. Thanks!
According to the aa.com check-in page you must be checked in at SJC at least 60 mins before departure.

If you go to the airport tonight, they should be able to check you in as long as it's within 24 hrs., I've done this a few times over the years.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobS
Has AA/OneWorld stopped updating their downloadable schedule? The data has seemed stale for several weeks.
PDF timetable's are no more. The last OW was 30 Sept 2016. AA pdf timetable was gone before that
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...withdrawn.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...timetable.html

Downloadable seem to be going the same way
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...p-no-more.html
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
According to the aa.com check-in page you must be checked in at SJC at least 60 mins before departure.

If you go to the airport tonight, they should be able to check you in as long as it's within 24 hrs., I've done this a few times over the years.

Unfortunately, I just wasted an hour and paid for parking for nothing. The rude agent said he couldn't check me in and wouldn't answer my question of when check in closes for my flight and told me to be at the airport 2 hours before my flight. Except he told me the check in counter opens at 430AM. So he wants me to be there at 420 before they open.

And a side note, what's the point of a priority line if you let the regular bag drop customers go first?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Upgrade Possible?

I'm still new to AA and Oneworld, flew my first ever AA or Oneworld flight in October. I've already made AA Exec. PLT and have a question on upgrading a flight that is AA operated, but QR marketed.

Basically is it possible to upgrade an AA operated, QR marketed flight LAX-JFK? Using miles or 500 mile upgrades from paid Business to First Class. I know with DL where I do most my flying it's a nightmare to get it done in a situation like this. However with AA I don't know if it's even possible. If it's not possible, is a DoD upgrade possible?

Thanks,
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm ... AA Exec. PLT and have a question on upgrading a flight that is AA operated...

Basically is it possible to upgrade an AA operated.... flight LAX-JFK? Using miles or 500 mile upgrades from paid Business to First Class.
As an EP, you're entitled to complimentary upgrades on domestic flights (Y > J or J>F), when upgrade seats are available.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Per AA.com:
AAdvantage® elite status members can upgrade from any purchased, published fare in the Main Cabin to the next class of service on American Airlines marketed and operated flights.
So, you cannot upgrade on a QR ticketed flight. It must be both marketed and operated by AA.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm still new to AA and Oneworld, flew my first ever AA or Oneworld flight in October. I've already made AA Exec. PLT and have a question on upgrading a flight that is AA operated, but QR marketed.

Basically is it possible to upgrade an AA operated, QR marketed flight LAX-JFK? Using miles or 500 mile upgrades from paid Business to First Class. I know with DL where I do most my flying it's a nightmare to get it done in a situation like this. However with AA I don't know if it's even possible. If it's not possible, is a DoD upgrade possible?

Thanks,
First flight in Oct and you're already EXP? Nicely done.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stripe
Per AA.com:

So, you cannot upgrade on a QR ticketed flight. It must be both marketed and operated by AA.
I know what that says. I also know DL also says that you can't upgrade on a partner marketed, DL operated flight. However, I know it can be done, but requires a special desk to perform it. Also DoD it can be done without all the issues since operating airline has control then. Basically was curious if it could be done at all, even on DoD.

Regardless, I'm at least in J on the flight, but would of course prefer F. In case wondering, LAX-JFK-DOH-SIN works out better connection time wise then LAX-DOH-SIN.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by no1cub17
First flight in Oct and you're already EXP? Nicely done.
Yep, October 27th was first time ever on AA despite living in SAT whole life, absent college years. Also helps that company will pay for J/F on my long haul flights.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:46 pm

The point is moot.

Even if it were AA marketed, you would not have been able to upgrade from J to F using your (complimentary) 500-mile upgrades. 500 mile upgrades can only be used to upgrade from economy to the next class of service.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
As an EP, you're entitled to complimentary upgrades on domestic flights (Y > J or J>F), when upgrade seats are available.
Definitely not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.