Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:54 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I feel like I should know the answer, but wanted to hear it from the experts.

I still feel like I don't understand how many RDMs I am going to earn on partners next year as an EXP.

I have the following:
JFK-HKG in R (PE) so I see that as 8072 base miles
HKG-MLE in I (J) so I see that as 3720 base miles with the cabin bonus.

Return is the same.

Giving me 23,584 base miles for RDM. Do I get a 120% on that number?

Meaning 28,300+23,584 = 51,884 RDMs for this trip?

Thanks for the help. I can figure out the EQMs and EQDs no problem. I just don't quite follow the RDM bonuses next year.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Because you are flying CX and not AA, your RDM earn will be based on the Distance method not the Fare method

Your computation is not quite right. The components are additive not multiplicative.

RDM = Flight Distance x (BaseMiles% + ClassOfService% + EXPBonus% )÷100

So, for your trip:
JFK-HKG = 8072x(100+0+120)÷100 = 17,759
HKG-MLE= 2976x(100+25+120)÷100 = 7,292
So grand total = 17,759 + 7292 + 7292 = 17759 = 50,102

Which is not a lot different from your calculation, but you multiplied the 25% class of service bonus by the 120% EXP Bonus rather than adding them and that gave you a slightly higher number
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Because you are flying CX and not AA, your RDM earn will be based on the Distance method not the Fare method

Your computation is not quite right. The components are additive not multiplicative.

So, for your trip:

Which is not a lot different from your calculation, but you multiplied the 25% class of service bonus by the 120% EXP Bonus rather than adding them and that gave you a slightly higher number
Thanks I am pretty impressed I got that close to be honest This whole thing is getting way to complicated to figure out. Good to know that is indeed around 50k RDMs. Puts me in a good spot for the RT F redemption to JNB I was hoping to snag for 2018.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
This whole thing is getting way to complicated to figure out.
I use a spreadsheet
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:54 pm

I use a spreadsheet
Yeah I have a spreadsheet for EQM and EQD as well as my *A status requals but it doesn't focus on the RDMs I can't say I am really to worried about them anymore with the new chart I know I don't have anything to get excited about until I get to around 200k.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:20 pm

A couple of questions:

Background: I have separate tickets on AA from AUS -> LAX (Leg 1) and LAX -> HND (Leg 2). The scheduled arrival in T-6 at LAX of Leg 1 is only 2h5m prior to take-off of Leg 2 to HND in T-4 at LAX. I know AA's policy changed earlier in 2016 and they will no longer as a matter of policy check baggage through or treat me as a protected customer (though every indication is that if issues with the first flight cause me to miss the second, AA will likely do what it takes to make it right).

Question 1: Has anyone had any luck asking the ticketing desk at the start of the first leg (in this case, AUS) to check the baggage through and/or combine two separate tickets with AA in to a single ticket/itinerary (following the policy change)?

Question 2: If they won't check them through, I'm worried about the timing of picking my bags up in LAX T-4 (including a large ski bag) and then getting over to LAX T-6 to check my bags in; is there any way I can check them (for the international leg 2 departing from T-4) at T-6?

Edit: to make this more complicated (maybe), the CS rep at AA that I just spoke to said that if I show the ticketing agent my separate tickets with AA they will check the bags through for me. I've had a few questions today for AA and received answers that didn't match their policies and (also) contradictory answers, so i'm wondering if this is a wrong answer or if the ticketing agent will in fact help me out in this manner. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by rpg374; Dec 27, 2016 at 7:44 pm Reason: Spoke w/ AA
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC

So, for your trip:

Regarding flying on a partner and distance based....

I was under the impression that if booked as a codeshare i.e. an AA flight number, then the EQM/RDM calculations would be performed as if the flight was taken on American. I flew last week from SAN to LHR on BA metal in F. The trip was booked on AA.COM and had an AA PNR and flight number. I made sure I had my AAdvantage mileage number on the booking and a few days ago, the miles showed up in my account. The EQM total was 10,970 which is correct as I was in discounted F so there was a 2x multiplier to the base miles of 5485 miles. (Multiplier would have only been 1.5 if I had booked on BA.COM) however the RDM amount credited to my account looks wrong. It shows that the calculation was distance based (should have been $ based as this was a code share) and even the distance based calculation looks wrong to me in that I got the base 5485 miles plus a bonus of what looks to be 90% of the base, for a total of 10,422 miles.

The one way fare including the BA surcharge, less taxes and fees was $2,622 and as Im AA Gold, the calculation should have been 7x 2,622 for a total of 18,384, so it looks like I'm short by almost 8,000 miles. It will be even worse on the way home if they apply the distance calculation as I crossed the Platinum threshold on the way out, so I would expect the multiplier to be 8x, so I will lose out on an additional 2,622 miles.

Should I have been credited using the AA fare calc, or the distance based calc?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Here's what I believe may be a softball question: I'm planning a Seattle-Los Angeles flight in the weeks ahead with the exact destination being close to Long Beach, so the best routing I assume to be SEA-LAX. I'm booking in first class with my MS-fueled pile of AA miles (thanks, Exec CC bonuses) and I see I have 2 direct options:

AA E175
AS 737 series (mostly 737-800s with slimline, says SeatGuru)

For a solo passenger on there-and-back three-hour flights, which one has the better hard and soft product...or is it a toss-up? Both run 25k miles o/w through AA (much more via AS). I have lounge access through PP, but am unlikely to need/use it, preferring to minimize my time at airports. Anything else to consider?

TIA
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:33 am

Just made Gold for the 1st time

Ok, now what?
Where do I go from here, as in , what steps do I take next to take advantage of this?
I have read of Elite Status matching. Now that I have reached Gold, and expect Executive in January of 2017 > Do I start looking at my other FF accounts?

I just started a new job that will have me flying Internationally a bunch.
No specific destinations or routes. I do not have control over which Airline is used.

I have a Chase Card with Mileage Plus Club, and this is my everyday charge card.
That's how I get into United Clubs while I'm waiting in DEN (primary departure point). I never had an Admiral's Club membership, and dont' really want another credit card or pay another $550 for a membership. But AA is on another concourse from my primary departure point for work and it's a pain in the Arse to stay in a United Lunge and have to leave half an hour earlier than I'd like, just to get to my AA gate.

I have an American Express Platinum and with that came Priority Pass, and I just suffered through the LHR Aspire Lounge and I"m rethinking AMEX as a result
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Hi, Transatlantic ticket, 1 free bag.

1) Then a purely domestic segment, where I will have two bags - what is the fee for those bags (I assume first still free, second is ?). $25? $35?

2) Then second bag on return transatlantic - second bag $100 - correct?

Last edited by sabbasolo; Dec 28, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

I was under the impression that if booked as a codeshare i.e. an AA flight number, then the EQM/RDM calculations would be performed as if the flight was taken on American. I flew last week from SAN to LHR on BA metal in F. The trip was booked on AA.COM and had an AA PNR and flight number. I made sure I had my AAdvantage mileage number on the booking and a few days ago, the miles showed up in my account. The EQM total was 10,970 which is correct as I was in discounted F so there was a 2x multiplier to the base miles of 5485 miles. (Multiplier would have only been 1.5 if I had booked on BA.COM) however the RDM amount credited to my account looks wrong. It shows that the calculation was distance based (should have been $ based as this was a code share) and even the distance based calculation looks wrong to me in that I got the base 5485 miles plus a bonus of what looks to be 90% of the base, for a total of 10,422 miles.

The one way fare including the BA surcharge, less taxes and fees was $2,622 and as Im AA Gold, the calculation should have been 7x 2,622 for a total of 18,384, so it looks like I'm short by almost 8,000 miles. It will be even worse on the way home if they apply the distance calculation as I crossed the Platinum threshold on the way out, so I would expect the multiplier to be 8x, so I will lose out on an additional 2,622 miles.

You shouldhave been credited using fare-based, call in to have it corrected, it shouldnt be too difficult to have the missing miles crdited
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:11 am

I'm looking to fly from NYC to Zurich on a AA 767. Is there any way to see what kind of 767 this will be? (https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...MCE_V2_new.php - looks like some have angled seats and some have lie flats).

On a similar note, would I have to buy main cabin extra if I wanted to use a SWU to get into business?

Edit: Google Flights said it was a 767, but American's website says its a 763.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dn10
I'm looking to fly from NYC to Zurich on a AA 767. Is there any way to see what kind of 767 this will be? (https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...MCE_V2_new.php - looks like some have angled seats and some have lie flats).

On a similar note, would I have to buy main cabin extra if I wanted to use a SWU to get into business?

Edit: Google Flights said it was a 767, but American's website says its a 763.
Do not confuse "Main Cabin Extra" with AA's new "Premium Economy" class, the latter of which is currently offered on select international routes. Unless your flight offers "Premium Economy" class, purchasing a Coach-class ticket on an upgradeable fare is all you need to do to have a chance to use your SWU. It is not necessary to purchase an MCE seat (which you may be able to reserve for no extra charge anyway with your AAdvantage elite status).
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

As I understand if it's an AA flight number and on AA ticket stock it should be fare based. I have done an AA codeshare on both AA and partner stock. The one on AA stock was fare based, the partner stock distance. Note a ticket reissue can mess this up I found. I had a QR issued ticket with AA flight get reissued by AA do to IRROPS. They tried to post as fare based and not distance. Took a call and about 30 minutes to get it fixed. While I hate the whole distance/fare thing in general, I at least liked DLs system. Very simple and easy to figure out. AA took it and made it so you need a flow chart and have to keep an eye on every posting when there's a reissue across carriers.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do not confuse "Main Cabin Extra" with AA's new "Premium Economy" class, the latter of which is currently offered on select international routes. Unless your flight offers "Premium Economy" class, purchasing a Coach-class ticket on an upgradeable fare is all you need to do to have a chance to use your SWU. It is not necessary to purchase an MCE seat (which you may be able to reserve for no extra charge anyway with your AAdvantage elite status).
Appreciate the help! Thanks! I'm guessing there's no way to see if it's a new business 767 layout or one of the old ones (although it seems that both kind of suck).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.