Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrow
Have you one of your boarding passes to check which number is being added?

It sounds like your BA Executive Club number is being added and not your AA Aadvantage account number.
You guys are right, AMEX Travel was adding my BA number as default. Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There are dedicated threads on awards to Aust NZ
For QF look for the long haul first JFK DFW LAX SFO to/from BNE SYD MEL AKL
FJ (and TN?) can also get you to Australia
AA also now flys to AKL, New Zealand (~3 hrs from Australia)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Thanks. I was using SYD as an example - I was more interested in the question of whether awards always got priced at premium levels if just one short domestic hop is in a premium cabin.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Look at DFW-SYD/LAX-SYD directly, like you mentioned, is the only way unfortunately.

Though now that I think about it I don't think ba.com shows mixed-class awards so maybe using their search will work better. The downside being it'll also give you STL-LHR-SYD routings which you cant book with one AAward.
Thanks. I'm willing to try BA's search.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 14, 2016 at 4:48 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FivePops
You guys are right, AMEX Travel was adding my BA number as default. Thanks for the help.
Great, glad you've got to the bottom of it :-)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:43 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FivePops
Ah - that makes a lot more sense.

And welcome to FlyerTalk, FivePops!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:39 pm

Am I being ripped off or am I confused?

Honestly I've never really tracked this stuff that closely but I was getting really curious about my miles and looking at what I would need to do (planning for) 2017 to achieve Platinum status. So in looking a the rules as I understand them and what I was credited in 2016 (when I achieved Gold again) I think I'm not being properly credited for my miles.

I first achieved Gold status in 2014 (for 2015)
Again achieved Gold in 2015 (for 2016)
And again achieved Gold in 2016 (for 2017).

My status is currently Gold and has been for all of 2016 and says I will be Gold through January of 2018. Basically what I am saying is I have been Gold consistently for 2+ years.

On the AA website under Home -> Aadvantage -> Earn Miles -> Partner Airlines -> American Airlines it says:

Calculating award miles

The new earning structure applies to travel beginning August 1, 2016. Miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees). The more you spend, and the higher your elite status, the more you'll earn.

AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
You can earn a maximum of 75,000 award miles per ticket.

I'm talking actual miles - not EQM's. I understand the difference. And I see that for discount coach fares I basically get 1.00 EQM's per mile flown.

But according to the actual miles chart above being a Gold AAdvantage member I SHOULD be getting 7 actual miles per dollar spent + 40% bonus - Correct?

I also understand thats on the base fare - not the taxes and fees.

So here is what my account shows earned on the last few flights in 2016:

Roundtrip flight on 11/30 -12/2 from DFW to MFE
Paid $279.07 + 49.13 = $328.20

12/2
EQMs = 500
Base Miles = 700
Bonus Miles = 280

11/30
EQMs = 500
Base Miles = 700
Bonus mils = 280

So the fare was basically $280 x 5 = 1400 actual miles credited (700 + 700) + 560 bonus miles (40% = 280 + 280)

But shouldn't it have been $280 x 7 = 1960 actual miles credited + 784 bonus miles (40%)??

I am Gold level and it says I should get 7 miles per dollar spent, not 5????

This is the same for every flight I looked at going back for every month it displays (back to June 2016).

Example 2

11/4 to 11/6 roundtrip DFW to NYC
paid $258.68 + 47.52 = 306.20

11/4
EQMs = 1391 miles
Base miles = 510
Bonus miles = 204

11/6
EQMs = 1389 miles
Base miles = 785
Bonus miles = 314

Total of ~$259 x 5 = 1295 base miles (510 + 785) and 518 bonus miles (40% = 204 + 314)

Should have been $259 x 7 = 1813 and 725 bonus miles (40%)

Why am I only being credited for 5 miles for every dollar spent?????
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mchensel
Am I being ripped off or am I confused?

Honestly I've never really tracked this stuff that closely but I was getting really curious about my miles and looking at what I would need to do (planning for) 2017 to achieve Platinum status. So in looking a the rules as I understand them and what I was credited in 2016 (when I achieved Gold again) I think I'm not being properly credited for my miles.

I first achieved Gold status in 2014 (for 2015)
Again achieved Gold in 2015 (for 2016)
And again achieved Gold in 2016 (for 2017).

My status is currently Gold and has been for all of 2016 and says I will be Gold through January of 2018. Basically what I am saying is I have been Gold consistently for 2+ years.

On the AA website under Home -> Aadvantage -> Earn Miles -> Partner Airlines -> American Airlines it says:

Calculating award miles

The new earning structure applies to travel beginning August 1, 2016. Miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees). The more you spend, and the higher your elite status, the more you'll earn.

Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (120% bonus)

I'm talking actual miles - not EQM's. I understand the difference. And I see that for discount coach fares I basically get 1.00 EQM's per mile flown.

But according to the actual miles chart above being a Gold AAdvantage member I SHOULD be getting 7 actual miles per dollar spent + 40% bonus - Correct?

I also understand thats on the base fare - not the taxes and fees.

So here is what my account shows earned on the last few flights in 2016:

Roundtrip flight on 11/30 -12/2 from DFW to MFE
Paid $279.07 + 49.13 = $328.20

12/2
EQMs = 500
Base Miles = 700
Bonus Miles = 280

11/30
EQMs = 500
Base Miles = 700
Bonus mils = 280

So the fare was basically $280 x 5 = 1400 actual miles credited (700 + 700) + 560 bonus miles (40% = 280 + 280)

But shouldn't it have been $280 x 7 = 1960 actual miles credited + 784 bonus miles (40%)??

I am Gold level and it says I should get 7 miles per dollar spent, not 5????

This is the same for every flight I looked at going back for every month it displays (back to June 2016).

Example 2

11/4 to 11/6 roundtrip DFW to NYC
paid $258.68 + 47.52 = 306.20

11/4
EQMs = 1391 miles
Base miles = 510
Bonus miles = 204

11/6
EQMs = 1389 miles
Base miles = 785
Bonus miles = 314

Total of ~$259 x 5 = 1295 base miles (510 + 785) and 518 bonus miles (40% = 204 + 314)

Should have been $259 x 7 = 1813 and 725 bonus miles (40%)

Why am I only being credited for 5 miles for every dollar spent?????
The "bonus" miles are the extra 2 miles per dollar, there are no other bonus miles now.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:06 am

Smile

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The "bonus" miles are the extra 2 miles per dollar, there are no other bonus miles now.
Ahhh I got it thank you. Well they have it worded pretty poorly then because of the way they award them - you see the bonus 40% and assume they are missing the base miles. it should say:

Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 2 miles a 40% bonus)
Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 3 miles a 60% bonus)
Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 6 miles a 120% bonus)

I don't know like I said maybe it was just me.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mchensel
Ahhh I got it thank you. Well they have it worded pretty poorly then because of the way they award them - you see the bonus 40% and assume they are missing the base miles. it should say:

Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 2 miles a 40% bonus)
Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 3 miles a 60% bonus)
Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (5 miles + 6 miles a 120% bonus)

I don't know like I said maybe it was just me.
I think AA must have thought that they were replacing flown miles plus bonus with virtual miles plus bonus and it would be obvious. There is a another FT thread devoted to this topic and it wasn't as clear as AA had hoped!

Welcome to FT! If you stick around you will learn more than you ever wanted to know, but some of it may be very useful
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

First UR award, first flight in years

I have not flown in years, and I just "bought" a ticket on American Airlines at the Ultimate Rewards travel center (YYZ Toronto to ORD Chicago). I have a six character "Flight Confirmation #" but am unsure what to do next. The AA web site refers to a "Record Locator" for on-line check-in, which I do not expect to do. Is the Flight Confirmation number the same as a Record Locator?

Do I need something more than the emailed Flight Confirmation number (and my passport) when I get to the airport? I will be checking a bag; does that change the answer?

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
I have not flown in years, and I just "bought" a ticket on American Airlines at the Ultimate Rewards travel center (YYZ Toronto to ORD Chicago). I have a six character "Flight Confirmation #" but am unsure what to do next. The AA web site refers to a "Record Locator" for on-line check-in, which I do not expect to do. Is the Flight Confirmation number the same as a Record Locator?

Do I need something more than the emailed Flight Confirmation number (and my passport) when I get to the airport? I will be checking a bag; does that change the answer?

Thanks for any help.
OT, but how many UR points did you pay for the YYZ-ORD one-way? When "SAAver" award seats are available, you can get the one-way for 7,500 UR points in Economy by transferring your points to BAEC, and redeeming for reward travel on AA.

Make sure that you actually receive a ticket number before planning to fly on the ticket you purchased from UR; without a ticket number, it is unlikely that you will be permitted to board.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by serpens

Thanks for any help.
Who emailed the confirmation? Chase or AA?

If you go to AA.com, without logging in you should be able to click on "My Trips / Check In", then on the next page provide your First Name, Last Name, Record Locator. If everything jibes, you'll then see the flight info, and be able to check in (if you're within 24hrs of flight).

If that doesn't work, then:
- If the email was from Chase, call them to confirm they really got you ticketed, and get the AA Record Locator from them
- If the email was from AA, double-check how the names appear on it
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum

If you go to AA.com, without logging in you should be able to click on "My Trips / Check In", then on the next page provide your First Name, Last Name, Record Locator. If everything jibes, you'll then see the flight info, and be able to check in (if you're within 24hrs of flight).

If that doesn't work, then:
- If the email was from Chase, call them to confirm they really got you ticketed, and get the AA Record Locator from them
- If the email was from AA, double-check how the names appear on it
I would add that whilst viewing the record using the six letter record designator (PNR) one should check the ticket status. Is it "on request", "pending", "purchased"? Can one print a receipt with ticket number (beginning with "001")? The latter is the gold standard.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-ticketed.html, read the Wikipost at the top of the page, serpens.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
The Reply-To address is [email protected]. The Return-Path is [email protected]. Perhaps that means more to you than it does to me.

(Off topic, but how do I prevent the editor from making those email addresses clickable?)

Let me check my understanding. I can do what you suggest even though it is (much) more than 24 hours before my flight. Also, since it is not yet 24 hours before my flight, I will not be able to check in, but only verify my information. Are those correct?

I do not want to check in now, even if I could. Is there some benefit to checking in early, beyond avoiding a line at the airport? When I check in, do I need access to a printer to print a boarding pass? Can I get the boarding pass on a tablet?

Thanks for all your help. This is quite new to me. And I could not agree more with your handle.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JDiver
I would add that whilst viewing the record using the six letter record designator (PNR) one should check the ticket status. Is it "on request", "pending", "purchased"? Can one print a receipt with ticket number (beginning with "001")? The latter is the gold standard.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-ticketed.html, read the Wikipost at the top of the page, serpens.
Thank you for that link.

As suggested in the wiki, I went to AA.com and requested a receipt. The web site asked for a document number, which must consist of numbers only. I do not have such a number. I have a Flight Confirmation # and an Agency Reference #; each is all letters.

I plan to visit the "My Trips / Check In" page at AA.com as soon as I get confirmation that I can retrieve my information without actually checking in. I will be sure to look for the ticket number. (Is that the "document number" that must consist of numbers only?)

Thanks again for your help and insight.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976
OT, but how many UR points did you pay for the YYZ-ORD one-way? When "SAAver" award seats are available, you can get the one-way for 7,500 UR points in Economy by transferring your points to BAEC, and redeeming for reward travel on AA.

Make sure that you actually receive a ticket number before planning to fly on the ticket you purchased from UR; without a ticket number, it is unlikely that you will be permitted to board.
I used just under 14,000 points, but remember that that was for business class.

This is new to me, so I'll ask some questions that show my ignorance. Are SAAver seats necessarily economy seats? If I wanted to buy from AA rather than the UR travel site, how would I do that? It sounds like I would go to AA.com, make a reservation without paying for it (and make sure that I have the ticket number), then go to the UR web site and transfer a sufficient number of points to BAEC (do I need an BAEC number to do that?), then return to AA.com and pay for the ticket using Avios. What did I miss?

Thanks for the education.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.