FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Thank you! Very helpful and has been interesting reading.

I guess the biggest observation is that AA's SDC rules suck compared to UA. I didn't realize you can't even change connecting cities or segments.. that definitely reduces the use.

My biggest outstanding question (maybe I'm just not comprehending correctly) -is what benefit is there to trying to standby for a later flight? If I decide I want to fly out 2 hours later, I am just showing up late and missing my original confirmed flight, to hope for availability to get out? Is this even possible on a connecting itinerary? (ex. TPA-CLT-CLE)

I just see too much risk giving up a confirmed seat especially because all it takes is one flight to go IRROPS and every seat later in the day could get snagged. But maybe I'm just overthinking all of this..
The only thing I'll add to JDiver's answer is that you can't just no-show for your ticketed flight. You need to phone AA to let them know you intend to stand by for a later flight, otherwise they will cancel your ticket as a no-show.

Once you've done that, there's no need to show up at the airport until a comfortable time (e.g. 45-60 minutes) before your desired flight departure.