Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Seat 1A = crew/pilot rest?

I had seat 1A on the 77D booked in a few weeks but found out that it had been re-assigned by AA to 2A.

A friend took the flight the other night (AA104) and was told 1A is for pilot rest?

Is this always true and I shouldn't try to book it in the future on AA104?

If I book this on a daytime flight (AA105) am I more safe?

Last edited by Jish; Jan 11, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jish
I had seat 1A on the 77D booked in a few weeks but found out that it had been re-assigned by AA to 2A.

A friend took the flight the other night (AA104) and was told 1A is for pilot rest?

Is this always true and I shouldn't try to book it in the future on AA104?

If I book this on a daytime flight (AA105) am I more safe?
1A was in use as a pilot rest on AA105 last week.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC AA
1A was in use as a pilot rest on AA105 last week.
Thanks for the info! I will avoid that seat....

Is that the only one? 1D/H/L safe to book?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Seat choice advise on what looks like a busy AA038 MIA-LHR 772 flight (21:05 Friday 22nd Jan)

Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CocoPops
Seat choice advise on what looks like a busy AA038 MIA-LHR 772 flight (21:05 Friday 22nd Jan)
Go for 9A as its further from Y. Enjoy your flight!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le mιdecin personnel ΰ PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by CocoPops

I have this same flight booked but on October 29th - it looks like an old 772 with 2-3-2 layout. I was pretty shocked as always use BA usually but the AA flight was the default that linked with the AA connection from CUN.

The Wiki seems quite confusing to me! I presume the AA38 is only the retrofitted aircraft on certain days of the week but is there any way to predict what the state of play might be later in the year?

I just tried to switch to the BA flight but there was no I class inventory left and so it was over $3000 to change flights so we were guaranteed a flat bed but that means losing almost 5 hours in CUN.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le mιdecin personnel ΰ PUCCI GALORE
I have just read that the entire 772 fleet is to be retrofit by the end of 2016.

That must increase the chances of a new cabin quite substantially, though where are they with this programme? It seems there are 47 aircraft of this type and I can only find hard evidence that a tiny handful have been completed...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by badoc
I have just read that the entire 772 fleet is to be retrofit by the end of 2016.

That must increase the chances of a new cabin quite substantially, though where are they with this programme? It seems there are 47 aircraft of this type and I can only find hard evidence that a tiny handful have been completed...
Due to the Zodiac delays, its going to be by the end of 2017 when this is completed. About half of the 772s will have a new seat as AA terminated Zodiac's contract due to the excessive delays. Its a bit more than a handful now, ten to be exact, but they have been moving along a bit quicker in the past several months. I'd guess they'll have two dozen done by the end of the year based on the current pace. (It helps they only have four 788s to be delivered this year, as they share the same seat, Zodiac can concentrate on finishing the 772 seat order.)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
Due to the Zodiac delays, its going to be by the end of 2017 when this is completed. About half of the 772s will have a new seat as AA terminated Zodiac's contract due to the excessive delays. Its a bit more than a handful now, ten to be exact, but they have been moving along a bit quicker in the past several months. I'd guess they'll have two dozen done by the end of the year based on the current pace. (It helps they only have four 788s to be delivered this year, as they share the same seat, Zodiac can concentrate on finishing the 772 seat order.)
Great, thanks - is there a tracker thread? I'm keen to keep an eye on this. I'd hope that MIA might get some of these new birds sooner as the LHR routes are generally quite key for many airlines, though JFK clearly has the lions share.

Have AA advised which routes these might be preferentially deployed on, or is it likely to be totally random?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Great, thanks - is there a tracker thread? I'm keen to keep an eye on this. I'd hope that MIA might get some of these new birds sooner as the LHR routes are generally quite key for many airlines, though JFK clearly has the lions share.

Have AA advised which routes these might be preferentially deployed on, or is it likely to be totally random?
MIA has been getting the reconfigured aircraft moreso than any other station. The C45/Y215 "high J" configuration (77M) entered service on MIA-EZE/GIG and the C37/Y252 "low J" configuration (772) entered service on the MIA-CDG route.

Currently, MIA-CDG is downgauged to a 767-300 due to 777-200 availability and MIA-MAD is receiving the low J aircraft. The high J aircraft pops up on MIA-DFW/EZE/GIG/LHR/JFK but I'm not sure of the exact dates and durations of the service.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:00 am

Would there be any benefit in upgrading to F? If it stays in this config, it gives a flat bed in F and if it gets retrofitted then presumably I would be entitled to a refund of the fare difference?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Would there be any benefit in upgrading to F? If it stays in this config, it gives a flat bed in F and if it gets retrofitted then presumably I would be entitled to a refund of the fare difference?
it's unclear what you're trying to achieve.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Quote:

it's unclear what you're trying to achieve.
Flat bed, for decent nights sleep on way home. Had no idea AA did not have a standardised product.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Front vs. Back?

My wife is concerned about the rear-facing seats (the feeling you can get when sitting facing backwards on a train...).

Seat map is pretty sparse so I have row 1 (1D and 1H). I haven't seen anything to suggest that the rear-facing would be any sort of a challenge but wanted to inquire just the same to get people's perspectives.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
My wife is concerned about the rear-facing seats (the feeling you can get when sitting facing backwards on a train...).

Seat map is pretty sparse so I have row 1 (1D and 1H). I haven't seen anything to suggest that the rear-facing would be any sort of a challenge but wanted to inquire just the same to get people's perspectives.

Thanks.
I just flew rear-facing on the 788- you really only notice the motion when taxiing.... And during ascent you'll be pitched somewhat forward until the plane levels off.... But during cruise there really isn't any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.