Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I had received the same email recommending arrival 4 hours in advance. My best guess was that they were anticipating the possibility that an electronics ban might be announced with immediate effect. That will indeed cause complications and delays if it happens, but so far it hasn't.
This sounds very plausible to me. Did any other European airports have an email arriving earlier than usual (LHR, FRA, etc..)?

I remember when liquids were first limited, it was chaos going through security. Now it barely makes a dent. I also remember when LHR limited carry on to 1 bag. That was another chaotic week.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I am flying out of CDG this weekend on AA and also just received the 4-hour advance check-in notice by e-mail from AA, which I intend to ignore.
So how did ignoring that notice work out for you?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
I arrived 2:05 before departure and made my flight.

Thanks for asking.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

I am flying out of CDG this weekend on AA and also just received the 4-hour advance check-in notice by e-mail from AA, which I intend to ignore.
I arrived 2:05 before departure and made my flight.

Thanks for asking.
One gets the feeling he's referring to this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-too-late.html
Old May 23, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Partially. I don't begin to understand the vagaries of why he missed that upgrade. I was just thinking about the fact that he only made it to the gate 35 minutes before departure, after boarding had started, etc. And he's someone with priority, knows his way around an airport, etc.

For someone who is unfamiliar with CDG, doesn't necessarily have priority, etc it sounds like ignoring the advice and only arriving two hours before departure wouldn't be a good choice.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Of course he was, which to me meant it was an insincere and provocative question from the outset.

Partially. I don't begin to understand the vagaries of why he missed that upgrade. I was just thinking about the fact that he only made it to the gate 35 minutes before departure, after boarding had started, etc. And he's someone with priority, knows his way around an airport, etc.

For someone who is unfamiliar with CDG, doesn't necessarily have priority, etc it sounds like ignoring the advice and only arriving two hours before departure wouldn't be a good choice.
Pity you didn't just ask that question then since I then might have taken it as a sincere inquiry.

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EP, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
CDG recent experience?

I'm flying business from CDG to the US this week. I just got an email from AA saying to arrive at the airport 4 hours before the flight due to increased security. Does anybody have any recent experience going through CDG? I'm struggling to believe it can be this bad. I only have hand luggage and was planning to arrive at the airport 90 mins before the flight. Any recent experiences would be welcome!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:08 am

I traveled from CDG late September and even with no special security at that time, 90 minutes would not have been enough. Everything was painfully slow though sometimes it is reported to be fine here - unpredictable.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Upthread are several reports of the 4 hour email. I think no one suggested this to be necessary. My wife and I depart CDG about every 4 months for the US. With priority check-in and the subsequent customs and security, the 8-9:30 period is a breeze. I have a pile of the Access No 1 tags that we never even bother to use. (Without priority check-in the lines do certainly always look -long- both length and time wise.)

Last edited by alien; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I just flew home on Friday, booked on the 12:15 to ORD in J. We got there around 9:15, the regular line was horrible, our line not so bad as we checked luggage. They gave us special cards to get through TSA - went very quickly; I would say we were in the AC by 9:45.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by robsterny
I'm flying business from CDG to the US this week. I just got an email from AA saying to arrive at the airport 4 hours before the flight due to increased security. Does anybody have any recent experience going through CDG? I'm struggling to believe it can be this bad. I only have hand luggage and was planning to arrive at the airport 90 mins before the flight. Any recent experiences would be welcome!
Flew from CDG in early May with checked bags. We arrived at airport 3.5 hours before flight but needed to get a VAT refund, which took probably 20 minutes. We were through security within 30 minutes of getting to the check-in counter and easily had 60 minutes at the Admirals Club.

Longest line we stood in was for macarons at La Duree. One clerk and lady in front of me bought 6 dozen that all needed to be packed....
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
3 hours should be enough. As others have mentioned, the delays at CDG T2A are affecting the regular lines but not the fast track line. It will take you at most 30 minutes to clear immigration and security, which, compared to my recent experiences at T2E (1 hours in the Priority line), is fine.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
One datum: I arrived at 10:00 AM for the 13:20 flight to PHL (that early due to TGV schedule, not choice). Priority check in line took about 25 minutes at that time; main cabin line was much, much longer. I self-tagged my one bag and got my (SSSS) boarding pass from the kiosk. Still had to wait in the line; no bag drop for self-tagged bags (which rather defeats the purpose). Customs and security wasn't bad, though it was a bit tricky to get into the priority line because the agent stuck a yellow "be at the gate one hour before departure" sticker on top of the "Priority" label on my boarding pass (which is quite small now that "GROUP 4" is written everywhere in giant letters).

Long walk to gate A39, then the SSSS extra check took about ten minutes. (I left all but the tiny bag with my family, who were traveling on the same flight on a separate ticket; that was a good call with SSSS.) So with Priority and SSSS, I had more than 1.5 hours to kill before boarding, but I'm glad I arrived much earlier than my typical 50-75 minutes (without bags) before an international flight.

(I couldn't get my mobile boarding pass, which I correctly guessed meant SSSS fun.)

Last edited by ashill; Jul 31, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Does anyone know whether Priority AAccess on the boarding pass grants entry to the Acces No. 1 security/immigration line?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I believe you need the "invitation" piece of paper to go through. On my last few visits, they collected that at the entrance to the priority lane and didn't even look at my boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.