Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Question Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions

I was hoping for some help regarding a booking I made with Qatar Airways - I am flying from CDG to Bombay with a stopover in Doha. And, I used my American miles to book a award travel from NYC-CDG - with a 2 hour 20 minutes gap between the flights after arriving in Paris.

I called American to see if they could issue me a Qatar Boarding pass in NYC but, they declined but did offer to route my luggage to my final destination in spite of it being two separate bookings.

So, my question is can I transfer from Terminal 2A (American) to Terminal 1 (Qatar) without a boarding pass and get one issued by Qatar at the gate or will I be required to step out of security and go back to the ticketing counter for the boarding pass. Also, I looked on Qatar's website and it says I can check-in using the mobile boarding pass but, can I get the boarding pass issued without seeing an ticket agent since, I hold an Indian passport.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2015 at 11:02 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Unlike US airports, you will have to clear security in CDG boarding pass or not.

Going from CDG2 to CDG1, you will need to clear immigration, take the CDG VAL (monorail type train) between the two terminals, and then (if you have a boarding pass) head right to security. If you do not have a boarding pass, you will need to stop at the Qatar check-in to get one before hitting security.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Isn't there an airside transfer bus? Or is that only between the various parts of T2?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Isn't there an airside transfer bus? Or is that only between the various parts of T2?
You can transfer airside. In fact I did so some years ago when Gulf Air was in T1 and I was using their codeshare with AA. If you don't have a boarding pass yet I think you can get one from a connections counter before you go through security.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - I am hoping that there is a connections desk in Terminal 1 or at the very least I can use the Qatar mobile boarding pass to show my boarding pass.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you're flying to India with an Indian passport, you may be able to check in with QR online. Worth a try.

You can also ask again at AA checkin at JFK. Maybe the agent will be able to check you in for the QR flight. (And if the QR checkin at JFK is open for the JFK-DOH flight, perhaps they can check you in at JFK and issue boarding passes...)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Minimum Connect: DFW-CDG-TLL

We arrive on an AA flight from DFW to CDG at 7:30 a.m. I think it arrives at terminal 2A. We need to buy a separate ticket to Tallinn, and our options give us either 90 minutes connect time or many hours. Both options leave from Terminal 2D. I don't think we can get AA to link the added ticket (on either Air Baltic or Estonian Air). In that case, what are the odds we could make the 90 minute connection? (We'll be in business class, so I think there's an expedited line for passport control, but I believe it's way over in terminal 2F. We can do carry-on bags so we won't need to go find our luggage.)

Alternatively, does anyone know how to get AA to link our tickets so that we could check in all the way through from DFW to TLL?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Does AA interline (interline agreements for ticketing and for baggage) with either airline? Actually, no ticket interlining agreement with either (link).

You're likely going to have to retrieve your baggage, process immigration and customs, check in and turn in your baggage and process back airside, at worst. If it were me, given delays can be common, I'd take the hours over 90 minutes.

Or, though it sounds as if you've got your flight into CDG booked, I'd look into using AA, AB (airberlin), AY (Finnair), IB (these connecting to Finnair /FlyBe) or if possible even Finnair. See innosked interactive oneworld route map and timetable.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2015 at 2:41 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Thanks so much, JDiver. We don't have to check baggage, but we're still leaning toward being conservative on this. I'll check out the other airlines, too, but I'm afraid the nonstops are very limited. Looks like we either lose time waiting at CDG or travelling via Helsinki or somewhere else.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
CDG is kind of a bear to connect in, even for AF-AF or DL-AF. I wouldn't want a 90 minute connection on separate tickets for carriers not in the same alliance. Buy the longer connection and take it as a chance to go into Paris for a couple hours and have lunch.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Enjoy Tallinn. It's a great city.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:41 pm

Thanks rdurlabhji - we decided to go with the leisurely connection. And thanks JDiver - that looks lovely!

Kurt - We are getting more and more excited about visiting Tallinn. We happened upon it out of a desire to visit St. Petersburg by boat, which allows us to go without a visa. But we will have a couple days to see Tallinn, and are very happy about that.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:03 pm

take the hours connection, 90 minutes is too close.
when you arrive and you make good time, go to the terminal and see if they will take you as standby
realize Baltic air may charge you for baggage and seating assignments.

Have you considered flying direct to Helsinki?, take the ferry to Tallinn
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:23 pm

Luggage and on-partner connection at CDG?

HI all, I have never before arranged a connection on a non-partner airline, but given the unfortunate events in Paris, we are considering keeping our award ticket to CDG, and booking a separate onward ticket to another Schengen destination that is served by AF or even LH.

Am I correct in assuming I would have to clear customs, collect my luggage, and then leave the terminal to go to the AF (or LH) terminal and re-check it for my flight?

How much time would you allow? Given the schedule of available flights, I can select an onward flight in 5 hours, or even 3, but I think 3 might be tight.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
You will need to clear customs. You will likely be able to check your bags through. You still may not see them when you arrive. CDG is an awful airport to connect from AA. I would do 5 hours connection vs 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.